Pleasure fishing - Lessons learned after a return to the banks.....

JayD

I can still remember my school physics lessons, about when the angle of light entering a water, turning from refraction, to reflection. Dick Walker wrote about it saying that he preferred fishing when the sun started to go down. It's like a dimmer switch being turned down. He said his optimum angle was around 12 degrees. I've found this to be true especially in late autumn/winter. I prefer the late afternoon to just after dusk, and expect to catch during this period. I remember three swims, all on the Ure, where, when pleasure fishing, I would rove during the day, only to settle in one of my known swims, around 3 pm and start to put some bait in. In two of the swims, is was roach, the other chub, but as the light began to fade, fish would start to roll, and then get their heads down. It was important to get settled in the swim because you never knew how long this feeding session would last, sometimes 30 mins, sometimes we packed up an hour after dark and they were still feeding. I prefer the dusk over dawn, because, you have time to get ready, the water is usually still relatively warmer, and the light conditions gradually get more favourable. Where as at dawn they gradually got less so. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to any of the swims, and haven't found any others that were quite as good, but I'm still looking.

John.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It sounds like you are doing it right mate. At the risk of sounding patronising, it will be interesting to see your progress.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
In my ears, it sounds like good advice, all of it. I still consider myself a beginner, in the "Just another child that's grown old"-meaning of the word, to cite an old John Prine tune. And in most dialects of fishing, I really am a beginner. I haven't even seen a pole, or someone fishing it.

- ground bait - please, please, add water very liberally, trust me it takes ages to dry out if you go too heavy with the water. You'll hear this adage a lot, for good reason....you can always add more water but you cant take it out . . .

Not being a native english speaker, I interpret "add water liberally" to mean pour in a lot of water. It's obvious from what follows that you mean the opposite. I would have used the word "conservatively" instead. I'm still learning english, so please correct me if I'm totally off target.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
In my ears, it sounds like good advice, all of it. I still consider myself a beginner, in the "Just another child that's grown old"-meaning of the word, to cite an old John Prine tune. And in most dialects of fishing, I really am a beginner. I haven't even seen a pole, or someone fishing it.

Not being a native english speaker, I interpret "add water liberally" to mean pour in a lot of water. It's obvious from what follows that you mean the opposite. I would have used the word "conservatively" instead. I'm still learning english, so please correct me if I'm totally off target.
You're spot on with your interpretation. A bit at a time is the way when adding water to groundbait or any dry mix. It is possible to rescue an overwetted mix if you still have some unused dry groundbait, but it's a waste, as you are now mixing more than you intended, and it's rarely as good a mix when you add dry groundbait to a sloppy paste.

Stewie74

Site Supporter

Yes, you're absolutely right, i didnt mean liberally at all, in fact quite the opposite!!

Stewie74

Site Supporter
It sounds like you are doing it right mate. At the risk of sounding patronising, it will be interesting to see your progress.
Not patronising at all 👍👍

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes myself, and to be honest I'm concentrating more on the processes than the results at the moment. Yes it's nice to catch loads of big fish, but I'm trying to make sure I get the basics right, and trying to understand why things happen. Sure I'll make lots of mistakes, but as long as I learn from them I'm all good.

Alantherose

Plus the snacks.

You can't beat a mini twix with a hot coffee, fact.......
Bite a couple of mm off the ends, then suck your hot beverage through it- then you get warm, gooey caramel and lovely soft shortbread (but don't hold for too long or you get melted chocolate everywhere ;))