Please Help Me.!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnrstu

Can anyone help me pleassssseeeee....?
I have just started fishing & so I am a little slow on all the ways of fishing.... But I have been fishing my local lake but keep on catching small fish. Nothing wrong with that, but how can i catch the larger fish....? I fish on the bottom, using maggots mainly & ground bait, but seem to keep catching small fish..... CAN ANYONE HELP?

[V]

Jnrstu

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
I suppose it depends on a couple of things.

a/ what bigger fish you want to catch
b/ whether these fish are in there

There are the usual baits for catching bigger fish like Meat, pellets, sweatcorn, worms etc..

Nothing really beats the knowledge of the locals though. Take a walk round without your tackle and sit and watch/talk to people there. Most anglers (like those on here) will be more than happy to fill you in with what's in and what they're being caught on.
Same goes for the local tackle shop too.

Matt

Lid

Welcome to MD's Stuart.

Firstly from you post you sound over 12, so if you haven't already got one, you need a national rod licence.

Can you tell us what lake this is as some-one else may know what it contains and best methods etc.

Do you know what fish are being caught by others? Try and look out for people who catch the kind of fish you want and talk to them if you can. Most should be more than willing to tell you what they are doing. Also can you find some-one more experienced to fish with?

Lid [:)]

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
i would try using luncheon meat on a 14 or 12 hook,try plonking it right in the margins,you may find the bites dont come as often as maggotts but when they do....hold on and dont forget to have your clutch set lighter............

Datafile4.asp

ian

Floater

You have to remember that the bigger fish are heavily outnumbered by the smaller ones, so you need to 'get through' the sprats to find the specimens. All the smaller stuff will take a maggot, but changing to sweetcorn will cut out most perch, small roach and the smaller bream. If there is chub or tench try a cocktail of a grain of corn and a yellow maggot. Try upping the general weight of terminal tackle, larger float, heavier shot, bigger hook and possibly bigger bait. Fish close to features or in the margins and also remember that the bigger fish tend to be quieter during the hottest and lightest parts of the day. Early evening at this time of year is best, watch for signs of feeding, bubbles, muddy swirls etc and cast over them and draw back in front of them so the bait settles in front of any feeding fish. Set slightly over depth and don't strike at the slight twitches, wait for a proper sinking or a good lift on the float. Don't over do the groundbait as this tends to attract lots of small fish, OK for a match bagging but not if you want the bigger fish specifically. Loose feed little and often.

For all angling on the Fylde see http://www.angling-northwest.co.uk

rob27

peg nine
I am unsure of whether you mean you are legering or if you are float fishing but on the bottom. Firstly you must make sure you are using thin enough line and the right size hooks for the bait you are using. If float fishing there are two basic set ups the first is where you put small shot(for example no.8s) down the line equally spaced so that the bait falls slowly through the water and enables you to catch fish that are at all depths. The second is a bulk of split shot with a smaller shot below this to tell you when you have bites. If float fishing make sure you plumb the depth as you probably won't catch nothing big if you are fishing off the bottom and you are a beginner - aim to have a couple of inches of line on the bottom. Along with plumbing you must feed the swim and introduce feed such as maggots regulary but sparingly so that the fish can see the bait falling through the swim and get attracted to it or if legering use a swimfeeder and keep filling it up and recasting every 5-10 minutes. Feed very often but use small amounts - that is a good general guideline - the best advice I can offer you is to buy a few books and copy the rigs and take notice of the tips, as they really do work. But always remember to use thin line, the right sized hooks, plumb the depth if float fishing and feed the swim whatever you are doing.

http://www.geocities.com/stillwatercoarseangler

hoppy

hoppy
Hi, Jnrstu, and welcome to Mds, some good advice there in the above replies.
When fishing in open water, there is always lots of tiddlers about, so get into the margins reeds and lillies, thats where the better stamp of fish are, but keep your eyes on the float and be quick to strike, NOT UP, but to the side and away from the reeds and lillies, cos thats the natural habitat and hideaway for fish, and they will make straight for it when hooked, and dont give 'em any slack line....cheers...hoppy

"Take your time, but hurry up"

jnrstu

Dear All,

Many thanks for your kind & helpful words above.....
I will try out your suggestions and let you know the results.....

The local lake I am using is the Dartford lake in Kent, so if any of you have any other hints please let me know......

Once again many thanks!!!!

Jnrstu

norm

i have not put a maggot on my hook for yonks

try pellets

you will still get small fish but with the chance of big fish

Datafile4.asp

jbruin

if you are fishing for carp i'd definitrly give dynamite baits halibut pellets.without doubt one of the best baits i've ever used

Status
Not open for further replies.