Please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jerv

I've only been fishing now for a few years but as I'm only 18 It's only the last year I've had any money and a car to be more adventurous. I do most of my fishing on commercials, I plan my trip, I prepare my rigs, I get the right baits, I select the right swims, I plum up accurately, I lay down some inital feed, feed little but often.... and do pants! I think I'm doing everything right but I only ever manage a few carp a session. I can catch silvers all day long, but I want to be able to bag up on carp. The other day I was fishing the bridge pool at heronbrook, I had a good peg, it took about an hour for the first carp. The fishing was slow and I caught about 4 carp all day. Yet somebody else came half way through the session and fished two pegs up from me, within 5 minutes they had a fish on and they must have caught another every 10 minutes. I felt that my approach was right, but everytime I go this seems to happen.
Please help

WhipWaggler

If its a mixed bag your after (which i'll assume it is as your fishing a commercial) then the only thing that could seriously be limiting your catch is the size of your hook and or what hooklink your using.....carp are more wary than silver fish so using too big a hook or a higher diameter line could be your problem.

I use 2.5lb bottom tied to 3lb main with size 20 spade end hook. Get snapped up every now and then but i've landed upto 7lb carp on it. Set the clutch light and let it tire itself out.

i fish with the above method and a simple running ledger when i go to a commercial (8lb mainline 6lb bottom, size 10 spade end hook) and have regular carp takes on this method. Bag up on waggler (silvers and small carp) and you can always get a nice surprise of a bigger carp on the ledger.

bluebaitbox

Hi Jerv,

You can learn a lot just by watching how other anglers do things, If you ask them they are sure to tell you.

There aren't many anglers out there who wouldn't help a novice by explaining how and why they do things in a particular way and show you the set-up they are using.
It is good to watch a match and see how the venue experts do it.

Even the best anglers out there learned by watching, asking, being shown and copying[;)]

missabite

It could be your feeding that's out a bit. Try feeding two lines over and two down the edge, one with just corn and the other with pellet. The Bridge pool at heronbrook though can be a bit patchy for the carp at the moment.

Last edited:

phil-k

how are you fishing for the carp:

pole
float rod
feeder
carp rods?

me

you say you fished bridge pool at HB. What bait was you using ? The problem people find with bridge is feed spooks the fish and the take for ever to come back. You should only be feeding micros and only small amounts. Another good bait on bridge is caster fished shallow. The pegs you want to be looking for at in the mid 30's and fish to the far shelf. float wise id go for a 4x 14, line .13 and hook size 18 or 16. Most people at hb will share their info with you if you ask them right and explain that your a novice

The Jerv

I mainly fish the pole, occasionally feeder. i tend to feed a few micros little and often and then fish meat,corn,pellets over the top. I was on peg 46 on bridge pool.

stevelockett

Not been to Heronbrook, but form what I have seen and read about the place, I don't think you will bag up on just carp. I suspect you will have to put mixed nets together and accept the carp when they come.
Pellets are probably best, feeding a few micros through a Kinder-style cup and fishing a 4mm expander on the hook. Drip half a dozen micro pellets in, lower the rig on top and catch anything that takes the bait. If you don't get a bite, ship back in, refill the cup and go through the process again. It will seem like hard work, but the work rate is what will amke a big difference between yourself and more successful anglers.
As a follow up to your starting match fishing post, I'll see if I can get some advice on the fishery from Neil Machin, one of the best match anglers in the North Midlands. It may take a couple of weeks, but I'll see what I can do...

stevelockett

Lee, had a chat with Neil Machin about Heronbrook. He said, you are probably doing it about right, like I said, you need to work hard on the feeding and constantly working the rig.
Neil also said; some pegs don't have many carp on them. The carp are F1s, so they can be very finicky and for the last couple of weeks, they have been very difficult to catch. If you are on a barbel peg, you need to fish with casters, or maggots.
The F1s are only just swapping to pellets, most of the last few weeks, worm and caster has been a much better bet.
Drip little bits of chopped worm and a few casters through a Kinder cup and fish a small bit of worm or single caster on the hook. Once they swap to pellets, feed half a dozen micros with a 4mm expander on the hook. Constant feeding is the key to the place, catching everything that swims until the F1s push the silver fish out.

Next time you go, try a different peg, that way you will gradually build an idea of how the lake looks. It will stand you in good stead for when you decide to enter your first match there.

Good luck,
Steve

missabite

If you want more chance of catching carp i would suggest trying the Meadow pool as it seems to have more in it. The bends are good, pick one with the wind blowing in to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.