Please give me a little help, it won't take long!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Hi guys.

Many of you will know that I was unable to follow my dream of being a deck officer in the Merchant Navy, working on the decks of ships because I have a minor colour deficiency.

I have been doing some searching and have found a petition which I would like you to take a few minutes out to sign. It may not be likely to help me, but who knows for sure?!

Basically, I have a brown/green, yellow/orange deficiency, but this is detected by the Ishihara test plates. The Ishihara test plates are the circles with numbers and dots in that we have all probably had to read at some time in our lives. As a result of my minor colour deficiency, I am unable to go in to the Merchant Navy as I need good colour vision to be able to navigate correctly.

The major issue for me, however, is that as stated, I am green/brown, orange/red and blue/purple colour deficient. The world-wide navigational light signals are actually red, green and white, so as you can see, my colour deficiency should not stop me from being able to go in to this career. As the entry is dependant on successful completement of the Ishihara test plates, however I cannot pass the test as I have a colour deficiency. I have attempted to argue my case, however I have been ignored and my efforts have been in vein!

This is not very fair, so I believe this petition is a great one for me and other people in a similar position, as it is to try to have the Ishihara plates replaced by a test which will be more detailed. With a better test, I would probably have been able to go in to the Merchant Navy as I wanted to.

I would like to ask you to take a few minutes out to enter your name on the link below to help support this petition.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/colourblindtest/

Thank you very much for your support,

Ed2

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Weird when you cant see the numbers.My brother is red,so they wont let him wire a plug at British gas,even though live is now brown.They couldnt decide on me ,cant see a red float ,so i can wire a plug.
done mate

its_lazarus

a reliable friend
Ask them to use a wright holmes lantern instead. Just something I heard about..

its_lazarus

a reliable friend
by the way all isihara plates are the same and easy to memorize[;)]

see here
http://www.pprune.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-41611.html

chris w

pc problem solver
whilst i agree with your dilemma and would willingly sign your petition before i do i need a bit more info

i presume when you join the Merchant Navy as a deck officer you may well be carrying cargo could it not be that even though as you correctly say the navigation lights are red green and white is their not a possibility that you may or may not have trouble distinguishing the different safety labels on the containers that your ship might be carrying and thus cause a safety issue for your crew.
if on the other hand your going into the passenger ferry service or cruise ships could this also not carry some possible safety issue
i suppose the point is its not just about the navigation lights

Terry D

The taxpayers can afford it!
There is also the issue of reading signal flags used by ships and different markings on various bouys scattered all over the seas.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
When I spoke the the MCA doctor who does medical exams for the MN he stated the issue was for navigation.

Cheers to those who have signed!

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Also, I would like to add that the petition is to apply a more appropriate and fair test for entry to careers such as my chosen one. A different test would be more relevant and hence would be able to say how severely I am affected and how it would affect my role in the MN, however if I fail the Ishihara, there is no way of telling how badly it would effect my chosen career, I would just fail!

What I am trying to say is that whilst I am colour blind I have little trouble with colours but enough to fail the Ishihara plates. A more relevant test would give me a better chance to get in as it would show how badly colour blind I was and not just reject me because I am colour blind, however slight it is!

Cheers,

Ed

Paul_D

When I spoke the the MCA doctor who does medical exams for the MN he stated the issue was for navigation.

Whilst I empathise with your plight it has to be remembered that navigation done at night time under night vision conditions i.e. red lights - is different ballgame to daylight conditions.

Don

Done it but dont give up trying to fulfill your dream young'un!

bwfcjohn

Signed up ed2. All the best in your endeavours and I hope you get to follow your chosen career.

thetraveller

The criteria is there for a reason. If your vision isn't up to the standard required tough. Who knows what would happen if you didn't recognize the right colour at some point.

I wanted to be an RAF fighter pilot as a kid but having glasses ruled that out. lol Lots of us have defective vision one way or another and have to accept that some careers are just not available. Make another career choice and get on with it.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
I think you are missing the point a little, Traveller.

Basically, the Ishihara test does not test whether you are able to distinguish between red, green and white lights, it just decides whether or not you are colour blind.

The lantern test on the other hand tests your ability to see red, green and white signal lights, which is relevant to being a deck officer.

They used this as an acceptable method until recently and now they have abolished it completely!

I am not asking to be put through regardless of my colour vision defect, just not to be rejected due to a colour vision defect that does not mean I cannot do the job.

Thanks,

Ed

Paul_D

I am not asking to be put through regardless of my colour vision defect, just not to be rejected due to a colour vision defect that does not mean I cannot do the job.

How about a career in politics instead? [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.