Please don’t do this.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I know its not ideal but surely if you just cant get enough pull on it to break it, it has to be better to cut the elastic.
I can see your point
I think most of us are guilty of putting the time effort and cost (especially if its Hydro) of re-elasticating before any risk towards personal safety.
I do think if the procedure is carried out under the water its of minimal risk though

markymark123

Site Supporter
Ouch, hope the guys alright, hate hearing about things like that. Once a friend of mine sea fishing was stuck in the rocks close in and kept bouncing his rod back and forth to try and release it, when all of a sudden he was struck just below his eye right on the bone by a 6oz lead. One lucky guy just a black eye and a lot of blood, could have been so much worse. He's never pulled for a break like that since. A lesson learned as they say.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not had it happen pulling for a break but have had a float tip through my finger when a hookhold gave way as I was trying to land a foul hooked double figure Carp.................Bloody painful. :cursing2:

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Poor sod.

I've had a 3oz lead and wire trace with size 6 trebles come whistling past my head after pulling out of a tree, now i'm more careful pulling out of snags / trees.

genesis

Just Living Leg End
Site Supporter
I had one shoot straight through my Finger a few year back, now if i get stuck i at least try pull it under the water or wrap a Towel round me hand.
My mate had one of my floats come back on a pull last year and it went through his thumb nail and out the other side. We cut the stem and pulled it through. Have to say I was very impressed with the overall strength of the float :)(y)

NJ1875

Site Supporter
Always, always put your elastic under your boot and put your boot in the water just enough to keep the elastic under the surface.
As you pull the water will slow the rig down if it comes flying back, and the worse case scenario the float will hit your boot, but slowed down by the water.
If you haven't got boots on, use a landing net or keepnet on top of the elastic.
That is sound advice - I’ve never even thought about this before and a couple of weeks ago I was just yanking the elastic back when it got caught luckily without incident. Will always do what you say now

Silver fan 82

With regard to monofilament if you get snagged don't try pulling it with your bare hands guys. I did once and it will cut your hands if it doesn't snap first. I carry a pair of gloves now just in case.

Tristar

Some really good info posted here, I've learnt some good tips. I hope the bloke recovers fully.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Big metal curtain ring tied to a length of string. When you get snagged tie the end of the string off and slide the ring down your pole and onto the elastic. The weight will stop the float from flying into soft fleshy parts.

rudd

Site Supporter
Big metal curtain ring tied to a length of string. When you get snagged tie the end of the string off and slide the ring down your pole and onto the elastic. The weight will stop the float from flying into soft fleshy parts.
Good idea if safe to get to elastic.
With cigerette method use a superking if over 13meters 😂

rudd

Site Supporter
Didnt seymo make a line cutter that goes onto a pole kit?