Please don’t do this.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My dad has had a few hours on one of our local ponds today and he’s just told me of a horrible accident he’s witnessed. A guy on the opposite bank got his pole rig stuck in some lilies so after a while he shipped back to his elastic and pulled for a break. The line eventually broke, the float has come back at pace and either the stem or bristle has stuck him in his eyeball. His fishing partner took him straight to hospital while my dad looked after both their gear. After an hour and half the guy came back for their gear and said to my dad that it looks like his mate may either lose some of the sight in that eye or may even lose it altogether the doctors didn’t yet know. What a horrible accident.

If pulling for a break be very careful guys. Let’s not have any accidents out there.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Always, always put your elastic under your boot and put your boot in the water just enough to keep the elastic under the surface.
As you pull the water will slow the rig down if it comes flying back, and the worse case scenario the float will hit your boot, but slowed down by the water.
If you haven't got boots on, use a landing net or keepnet on top of the elastic.

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
The one time I got stuck with yards of elastic out, I used a Y shaped rod rest upside down to push the elastic under the water as I pulled it back. When it gave way and came rocketing back the water slowed it down enough to be safe.

bryan white

Site Supporter
I read until the word lillies..filled with dread to read after..just hope all finally ends well in the end

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I read until the word lillies..filled with dread to read after..just hope all finally ends well in the end
Yes Bryan. As I was writing the thread I was cringing. Doesn’t bare thinking about does it. 😩😩

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can only imagine the pace pole floats can come back at you with the elastic. I’ve hit myself with floats on rod and line missing bites or pulling out of fish plenty of times and it doesn’t come back with anything like the pace a pole float against elastic probably would so you have the time to not take it in the face!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The thing is as well, the float will always follow the elastic, so if there is nothing between the float and you whilst you are pulling on the elastic, it is going to hit You!

H T B

Site Supporter
Years ago, fishing the Severn.
My brother was using a bomb on the tip.
Cast a bit too hard and it went over and into the far bank vegetation.
It just wouldn’t budge, until .......
Bomb came whistling towards him and straight into his top front tooth.
One lucky beggar !

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Sounds like a terrible injury, hope they can save the guys eye - I always pull for a break underwater but hadn’t heard about using a towel before

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I normally use my landing to twist around the elastic once and hold it under water. It is fiddly though.

This horrific incident has got me thinking though. I think I’ll modify a rubber tubed rod rest. I’ll be able to put it on the end of my landing net pole and securely pin it underwater while I pull.
That could still be tricky if it’s really heavy line and elastic. Maybe a simple setup that would attach to the very front of my Octbox that could securely guide and hold the elastic underwater, leaving both hands free to pull.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I know its not ideal but surely if you just cant get enough pull on it to break it, it has to be better to cut the elastic.