Playing Fish ?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
seen people yanking in 300LB and even 400LB and def no 6 to 10 laccy using power top twos and a ft of elastic coming out!

tincatim

Site Supporter
The pleasure of playing fish is one of the most exciting parts of angling for me. It’s the next most pleasing thing after seeing the float go under of the tip go round. The wonder of what’s under the surface is what drew me to fishing and that still holds great appeal for me today. The sense of achievement you get from successfully landing a big fish on light gear is amazing. It’s a battle of wits and not something that should be rushed in my opinion, though I appreciate the need in a match.

I’ve often pleasure fished a local lake where people fish solely for the carp, you see or hear them get a take and within a minute they’re celebrating a 16lb carp in the net. I don’t see the pleasure in just winding it in. I don’t know what line these people use but I’d suspect it’s stronger than is allowed. There is a balance between pulling fish’s heads off and playing a fish for 30 mins, both don’t do the fish any good. I like to play my fish with respect, tire it out, but land it as soon as is possible with balanced tackle.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I think it’s only really Bream that you can get away with playing off the reel, and then it’s normally only larger fish. It’s a case of coaxing them in rather than bullying. If they decide they want to shake their head then you have to be prepared for it and lift the rod to absorb any shock, which is normally pretty tame.
Any other decent size fish you have to play normally. I learnt to fish catching Crucians and they’re a stubborn little fish, always demanding respect. That has stayed with me for all species ever since.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Can’t beat the sight of the elastic streaming out of the pole tip when a decent fish goes in its first run, or when you lift into a bite on the tip.

The not knowing what’s on the other end, and the anticipation when it’s almost ready for the net but you still haven’t seen it yet.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Watch a good angler on fish and one of the first things you notice if you're observant is how smooth and efficient everything is.

You can only apply so much pressure on a hook hold, line and in particular a pole before something has to give. Standard tackle for me usually a MWG 16 or 14, 0.17 hook length and 10-14 or 14-16 hollow through a puller, unless I'm on the waggler or lead in which case it'll be the same line and hooks apart from the lead where I may be on 0.19 or in some cases 0.21 on places like viaduct.

The key is making every fish count and not waiting too long for the next one.

On venues like Viaduct where the fish average close to double figures it doesn't take a genius to work out that 5 or 6 fish an hour over the course of a 6 hr match will be 200-300lbs. It's not hard to put 100lbs in the net in a good hour, the hardest part is catching 4-6 fish an hour.

Put zoo elastic on with these fish and it's a disaster, you're much better off with a 12-14 hollow and letting the fish make it's first run and then coax it to the net, often called walking the dog. Keep the top kit low, get the fish to swim parallel to the bank, bring it in front of the platform and lift with net ready and hope you get it first time ;) If not let it run and do it all again. It takes practice but watch a good angler and it looks simple., with many double figure fish netted within a few minutes.

Big weights are about efficiency and feeding, not to mention drawing the right peg in the right conditions. There are exceptions however in the main it's the same anglers winning and framing generally because they are very efficient and know exactly what they are doing.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
Playing good sized bream at 70m on braid, soft arm and light clutch required for those head nods as they come up from the depths.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I'd never prolong a "fight" with any fish for longer than necessary - plenty of enjoyment winning the battle with the gear that I generally use (light but balanced).
Guiding large fish out of weedy swims i a great challenge.

Silver fan 82

After reading the "Pump and Wind" thread

it sorta made me wonder, with regard to hooking fish, rather than just getting them in as fast as you can

dont you delight in playing fish ?

having them go off on runs or diving deep and the angler using his tools to turn those actions into a period of intense joy with the chance of you may or may not get it in,

Im mainly a silvers angler, though catching carp is a welcome distraction some days, and I fish with quite lightish gear, low strength elastics and lines on the pole, plain whips and light actioned rods and lines on other occasions

that period between hooking and possibly landing a decent sized fish, is the reason I go fishing, not to obtain the biggest weight I can in the net, but the joy of a rod bent over or elastic streaming out across the canal, lake or river
Totally agree with you Mick, playing fish and the fight they give is all part of catching that fish, whether its an 8oz roach or a double figure carp on the right tackle thoroughly enjoyable.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’m not by any means condoning “skull dragging “ , I wouldn’t do it , but I can’t honestly see the point matchfishing, unless you are trying to win 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️So what’s the point spending all day landing a fish , if you need a big weight to frame ??🤷‍♂️

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The fight is one of the best aspects of angling, after all, it is the hoped for outcome of the trip to hook and land a fish. Trying to stop a Tench from reaching a Lilly bed, knowing just how much pressure you can exert with the gear you are using and hearing the line singing in the breeze is what really gets me, I get just as excited now as I did 60 odd years ago and I don't think I will ever tire of it.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
After reading the "Pump and Wind" thread

it sorta made me wonder, with regard to hooking fish, rather than just getting them in as fast as you can

dont you delight in playing fish ?

having them go off on runs or diving deep and the angler using his tools to turn those actions into a period of intense joy with the chance of you may or may not get it in,

Im mainly a silvers angler, though catching carp is a welcome distraction some days, and I fish with quite lightish gear, low strength elastics and lines on the pole, plain whips and light actioned rods and lines on other occasions

that period between hooking and possibly landing a decent sized fish, is the reason I go fishing, not to obtain the biggest weight I can in the net, but the joy of a rod bent over or elastic streaming out across the canal, lake or river
I never over do the playing of fish that can be bad but at the same time i take my time with them ,when theyve stopped the runs i gently but steadily get them in quickly . F1 fishing is similar but a lot quicker but you cant give them time because theyl be waving good bye ,i dont mean rip their heads off but dont mess about either . Its knowing when youve beat the fish and the fight is over . When im f1 fishing im not bullying them but i do get them in quick as possible on light elastics , im often slated for taking to long on the bigger fish but id rather take a little longer and net them without over doing it and having completely exhausted fish . To answer the opp directly i enjoy the playing of fish but only as much as necessary to beat and land them.

rudd

Site Supporter
If we didnt enjoy the fight - fishing would be pointless.
Enjoy catching any fish but especially one that pulls back.

I also enjoy the initial hook up - float dips, angler strikes, fish on, will a zoo creature zoom off putting rod into an alarming arc or will of a pair of eyes be on bank in seconds, also what species will it be?

My last four sessions have involved a light weight bomb rod and hooklength down to 1b
2lb plus Perch on the set up is so enjoyable

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I never over do the playing of fish that can be bad but at the same time i take my time with them ,when theyve stopped the runs i gently but steadily get them in quickly . F1 fishing is similar but a lot quicker but you cant give them time because theyl be waving good bye ,i dont mean rip their heads off but dont mess about either . Its knowing when youve beat the fish and the fight is over . When im f1 fishing im not bullying them but i do get them in quick as possible on light elastics , im often slated for taking to long on the bigger fish but id rather take a little longer and net them without over doing it and having completely exhausted fish . To answer the opp directly i enjoy the playing of fish but only as much as necessary to beat and land them.
F1's are so cheeky eh? When I fish for them close to the far bank on a local snake lake, I have to ship back double quick time if I want to stop them daring into the lily pads (summer/autumn obviously!)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
F1's are so cheeky eh? When I fish for them close to the far bank on a local snake lake, I have to ship back double quick time if I want to stop them daring into the lily pads (summer/autumn obviously!)
They can be so quick at finding the nearest snag and the first little bit of slack throwing that hook at you and saying astilavister baby 👶