Playing Fish ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
After reading the "Pump and Wind" thread

it sorta made me wonder, with regard to hooking fish, rather than just getting them in as fast as you can

dont you delight in playing fish ?

having them go off on runs or diving deep and the angler using his tools to turn those actions into a period of intense joy with the chance of you may or may not get it in,

Im mainly a silvers angler, though catching carp is a welcome distraction some days, and I fish with quite lightish gear, low strength elastics and lines on the pole, plain whips and light actioned rods and lines on other occasions

that period between hooking and possibly landing a decent sized fish, is the reason I go fishing, not to obtain the biggest weight I can in the net, but the joy of a rod bent over or elastic streaming out across the canal, lake or river

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
this is why i will never win matches where you need 300lb+ nor do i use tackle such as yank and bank etc. i never bully fish, just not my cup of tea and i love using lighter elastic and taking my time!

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The playing of a Barbel is more pleasurable than any 300 pound of pond pigs or pet fish. The waiting and catching, the lunges for freedom and darting for bushes or snags then it goes on it’s side and the net is positioned to land and off it goes again and yer left With the net handle between yer legs whilst trying to get it back under control 👍👍Nowt Better👍

Last edited:

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I love fishing the pellet waggler at Clattercote reservoir in summer , it’s a proper adrenaline rush and brilliant workout catching big carp upto 20lb on beefed up match gear...great feeling, they really fight hard in there ..

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The thing is with Bream fishing for me, even though they're not renowned fighters and you can just wind them in in stillwater, I still love feeling that heavy weight on the end of the line until they pop up and you can slide them over the net. But when I look at good days I've had that equates to a slab every 10 minutes or so, it must have been solid with them out there, if I could get them in quicker I could potentially have a much bigger overall weight.

I love playing Barbel in any conditions and have tried to make threads before on how they fight in various situations. Since they started showing up on my local river and I had 2 or 3 of them a few sessions in a row on much lighter tackle than I would use on the Severn it's a different sort of fight. Still possible to coax them in on an 0.16 hooklength in a fast and snaggy peg whereas on the Severn they will still boss me on much heavier tackle, and we're only talking about small fish here.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m certainly not obsessed with the fight bit but playing fish is undoubtedly fun. You can get a bit of pleasure out of playing almost anything on the right gear which is just as well as most my coarse fishing is Witt light gear. Even chunky roach and dace on proper silvers tackle suited to them give a decent pull although my favourite fight in coarse fishing is when you hook a 2lb plus Perch on silvers gear. Just love the way they stubbornly dig in and pull beyond their weight. I do also quite like the plod of a decent sized bream. Taking double figure carp off the top on an Avon rod is good fun as well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There have been a few times when Carp fishing to 'snags' I've felt totally undergunned. That can be unpleasant and in some situations I've felt better off packing up and going home, not having the right tackle with me. Sometimes it seems there is just no stopping some fish.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
There have been a few times when Carp fishing to 'snags' I've felt totally undergunned. That can be unpleasant and in some situations I've felt better off packing up and going home, not having the right tackle with me. Sometimes it seems there is just no stopping some fish.
And people are always bemoaning others on here for taking too much gear with them , another reason for making sure you’ve always got the right tackle with you, even if you don’t use it 🤷‍♂️

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
And people are always bemoaning others on here for taking too much gear with them , another reason for making sure you’ve always got the right tackle with you, even if you don’t use it 🤷‍♂️

Very true mate. It was this one lake in the Isle of Wight that I won't fish again now unless I have the right tackle with me when I go even though my brother knows the owner and I can fish it for free.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's playing the fish for me. There you are, minding your own business and the float dips, you strike, and find you're into a lump. You stand up to play it in and then realise that when you stand up, that landing net is an arms length out of reach and you have a 'briuser' making a dash for it. You think you have it beat and off to the reeds it goes, a bit of side strain to see if you can turn it and in the meantime that landing net is still a bit out of reach. and you get that dreaded feeling that if you take your eyes off the fish to get the net, you'll lose it. Ain't fishing fun eh?

feldri

Site Supporter
I love fishing for bream, roach and perch, but I have to say the best fights I've had have been with tench. I don't fish for carp as never been interested in them, but tench, with that big paddle at the back end, put up an enormous fight on light tackle. They head for any bit of cover they see, especially bottom weed, and end up zig-zagging all the way to the net. Beautiful fish.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A prime example of that is Clattercote that @chefster mentions. I had to give up tench fishing there as the sort of gear required to get the tench bites was no match for the carp once with all those stagings once their numbers had boomed and they’d started getting quite big. Got to the point where it just wasn’t right to even try it.

Being undergunned is also quite a frequent occurrence for me on when I occasionally try for lumps on my US trips. Have to be really careful with bait size and not going too high a leader so as to make sure the line goes before you or the rod! Gear with which I’ve landed 50lb plus fish and seen 100lb fish landed has been utterly obliterated a few times when a real monster gets hold. Even much smaller fish that I could easily land on the standard lighter flats gear in open water I’ve had to ignore if amongst a load of structure as chances are you aren’t getting them out.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Must admit, I do like a bend in the rod & that feeling of anticipation when you hook into a tench or carp. That's why I don't really enjoy winter fishing when you know it's going to be endless small roach.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Must admit, I do like a bend in the rod & that feeling of anticipation when you hook into a tench or carp. That's why I don't really enjoy winter fishing when you know it's going to be endless small roach.
Get on the rivers mate it’s the opposite. In the warmer months there’s a good chance of proper bream and perch on the feeder but on the float it’s very unlikely I’m going to catch much over a pound as it’s all about roach, dace etc but come the winter chances are if you manage to get a bite it’ll almost certainly be a proper chub or bream 👍🏻

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Get on the rivers mate it’s the opposite. In the warmer months there’s a good chance of proper bream and perch on the feeder but on the float it’s very unlikely I’m going to catch much over a pound as it’s all about roach, dace etc but come the winter chances are if you manage to get a bite it’ll almost certainly be a proper chub or bream 👍🏻
We're a bit short on rivers round here, mate. Only got the River Dee locally & thatt comes under Welsh Water so we can't fish it at the moment

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A prime example of that is Clattercote that @chefster mentions. I had to give up tench fishing there as the sort of gear required to get the tench bites was no match for the carp once with all those stagings once their numbers had boomed and they’d started getting quite big. Got to the point where it just wasn’t right to even try it.

Being undergunned is also quite a frequent occurrence for me on when I occasionally try for lumps on my US trips. Have to be really careful with bait size and not going too high a leader so as to make sure the line goes before you or the rod! Gear with which I’ve landed 50lb plus fish and seen 100lb fish landed has been utterly obliterated a few times when a real monster gets hold. Even much smaller fish that I could easily land on the standard lighter flats gear in open water I’ve had to ignore if amongst a load of structure as chances are you aren’t getting them out.
I won the rod I used in the Isle of Wight at Earlswood many moons ago back when the Carp there were 5lb an still catchable on an average pole, I'm not sure but I think they quickly all grew way above that. The rod was a Shakespeare Avon rod, using the float top in the Isle of Wight it really struggled with the double figure Carp next to snags, but using the same rod feeder fishing for Tench reminds me why I've enjoyed using that rod so much, but next time I go I will use my Greys 1.25lb rod as it has a canny action for Chub, Barbel, and such wonderful paddle tailed fish like Tench.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Fishing a spinning rod with 1 hook for mackerel is class. One hell of a fighting fish.
Better than pulling 6 up at a time on a string of feathers.
But done both.
Or catching a wild brown trout that’s never seen a hook before. They can jump and you can’t bully them on 2lb line.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
this is why i will never win matches where you need 300lb+ nor do i use tackle such as yank and bank etc. i never bully fish, just not my cup of tea and i love using lighter elastic and taking my time!
The fact is that the vast majority of anglers who get those big weights of carp are using elastics like 6, 8 and 10. They don't use the bungees. That's hardly yanking them in. The trick is to let the fish make its first run, then to coax it back, using the pulla,

They can land their fish in a third of the time it takes me, using stronger elastics. They are brilliant at it. I don't have the confidence, and dare not use those light elastics when there's someone fishing only 15 yards away from me.