Play em high or play em low.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Just been watching fishing all stars. The 2 match anglers always play the fish with the rod tip low to the water.
I was always taught to have the rod tip high.
Just wanted to know why these pros play them low and what are the benefits of doing this.

Cheers

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
When you keep the rod high as the fish gets closer it tends to pull them towards the surface (light) which they dont like so its better to draw them quietly to the side.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I was thinking it must be a match carp thing as I’ve never seen adam Rooney use that style for any other species of fish. Can see the logic in it but just didn’t look like proper fishing to me haha

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Horses for courses. There are times when it's not possible to do one or the other and retain an appropriate level of control. Much depends on how a fight plays out. Whether you are fishing flowing water or still also makes a difference.

I suspect that the natural inclination for most anglers is to keep the tip high. Most of us, especially of a certain vintage, were probably taught that way. However, whilst it makes a lot of sense to teach a beginner, it's not the whole story.

In my experience, I'd suggest that most carpers will play fish low to the sides in an attempt to get the fish up to the surface as quickly as possible. This will help to avoid snags and weedbeds.

Most of the skilled river anglers and matchmen I've encountered will vary the angle of their rod during a fight depending on how the fight pans out and what the swim they are fishing dictates.

Chervil

Site Supporter
I naturally tend to play fish high, because I always have. However, I have started to play them low, mainly because I find it easier to control them and steer away from snags.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Most of the skilled river anglers and matchmen I've encountered will vary the angle of their rod during a fight depending on how the fight pans out and what the swim they are fishing dictate
this ^^^^ is the reality.
for example, I grew up fishing for chub up against snags such as trees hanging n the water, if you commenced the battle with rod up high, the fish would simply swim up in to the snag

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I keep the rod low, stems from fishing rivers & catching bags of silvers, with the rod high they come to the surface quicker, causing a lot of splashing and more fish slipping the hook or attracting pike.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I was taught many years ago to play low for Bream. It brings them up in the water quickly which can help if you don’t want to spook other feeding Bream. Once you got them facing you it’s often possible to wind them straight to the net,no matter how big they are.
On rivers,like Sam says,you need to adjust as things pan out. Play low and you’ve got more line in the water,giving the fish a little bit of extra leverage. Play high and all the fish wants to do is dive deep and find snags,in the case of Chub and Barbel.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
As you say, you have to adjust to circumstances.
On the Wye once I had to winch the cock dace straight to the surface asap and skitter them across the surface to avoid pretty much every one being devoured by crocodile pike.
On the Avon recently my peg was chock full of weeds and reeds, the only place I could fish was a run down the far side. Again - I had to skip the fish over the weed to avoid snagging up all the time (good job the biggest fish was about 10 oz)

davepellet

always low unless I'm on a particularly deep water with a steep rocky slope, then I like to get them up early, well away from any snags and any pike lurking near the deck

Poacher Pat Felstead

Thanks for all the responses. I can see why you would play it low if fishing around snags etc but in a commercial puddle it didn't seem to make sense. Having said that there are enough of you guys seem to think it makes it easier.
So on my next outing I think I'll be giving the low play a try.

It's funny I've been fishing over 30 years and I still learn new things daily.

All the best fellas and thanks again