Plastic on rod handles. On or Off?

Plastic sleeving on rod handles. Take it off/leave it on.

• Total voters

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I have voted “no fussed either way”. I have some older rods that don‘t have it on and some that I have purchased 2nd hand. A couple of my new rods still have the plastic on and it will come off in time when they have need christened properly.

AdeB

Site Supporter
I often wonder if those that leave the plastic on a rod handle also sit on furniture/car seats with the plastic wrap still on.
Whilst folk can obviously do as they will with their own possessions, I do wonder why so many value cork over Duplon when at least a decent percentage of them must leave the plastic wrapper on anyway. I can only assume that many folks buy rods and leave the wrap on with half a mind to selling at some point. I can't speak for other second hand rod buyers, but I actually avoid rods with wrappers left on unless it's absolutely clear that the rod has never/barely been used.
I have seen a few TV documentaries about travellers lives, and quite a number keep the polythene on their caravan furniture. Must get very sweaty sat down for any length of time.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
its like getting a phone or a TV and leaving he protective cover on lol, just doesnt make sense to me lol

Not going to know the people who do leave it on but i will look closely to see if they have any other "special" traits lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I leave it on. No point having a rod looking all pristine and shiny new and the handle looking all gruffted up.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I take it off once I use the rod in anger, I do have a few rods stashed away in the shed with the cork still on the handle but these have either not been used or have only had very little use and I just have not got round to taking the plastic off. It does make me wonder when you talk to some people and they say they don't like duplon handles and much prefer cork and they are sat using a rod with a cork handle with the plastic still on. Keeping cork clean is not really an issue as long as you give it a wash with warm soapy water and soft scrubbing brush from time to time. However I did have a Hardy float rod in the 80's that had a bright orange handle when bronze maggot was the go to bait on the north eastern rivers, no matter how many times you scrubbed it you couldn't get rid of the cyrsodene dye

trotter2

You can leave it on for a while, but in time water will eventually get in and you will be forced to remove it, unless you like a black water mark under the plastic shrink wrap.