Pittlands club match.

ATTICUS FINCH

With the alarm ringing in my ears at 6am it was with trepidation that I looked out the window and my fears were well founded as it was chucking it down.
With all the prep that I had done I wasn't going to be daunted by the rain but in my haste to get to the venue I left my flask behind ☹️,and wasn't aware of the fact until the wife phoned me as I was twenty minutes down the road ☹️, not a good start to the day ,rain and no drink .
Arriving at pittlands it was still hammering down ,and as it turned out it did all bloody day.
The draw took place at 8 and the on-site cafe opened at 9 so after setting up to pole rigs ,one for silvers to be fished 2+2 and one for basically anything else it was hooklength on the method rod already set up and a waggler rod for if the wind picked as forecast, fortunately the wind didn't bother us as the lake was reasonably sheltered on my bank . The breakfast wasnt bad and soon demolished,and it was only a thirty yard walk from my peg .
Depth was around four feet on the short line and around seven at 11 metre.
Not having fished the venue before I was trying to gather as much info on the lake as I could from a few of the lads ,and it was said carp would win it but silvers could play a part of the Carpy things didn't want to play ball.
So with that in mind that was the Eason for the 2+2line.
The all in and I'm lobbing the method out to twenty yards with micros and three dead reds on the hook, five minutes and the tip pulls round, fish in and from the feel of it a big bugger. Apparently they go to twenty plus and this didn't fee like a small fish .but alas I will never know for sure as the hook pulled.
Another half hour on the method saw not a twitch .but Roger two swims to my left took three Carp in the first hour to take an early lead. By now I was on the short line having fed it at the off with a pot of micros and dead maggot , I was straight into a few small skimmers around four to six ounces , Colin on my immediate left was trying the whip but was struggling to find anything interested in his bait ,so was now out on his long line and looking to put something in the net .
He couldn't buy a bite and was bemoaning the fact , I told him that he was doing great and that I had never seen him fish better.
He went out on the method and had two carp ,bugger him .
I as still looking to keep a few silvers coming but after his second carp it was time to try my 11 metre line ,potting in micros and maggot I shipped out with three dead reds and a minute later was playing a carp of my own . It was turning into a bloody nightmare as I lost it when the hook pulled. Back out and another fish on , this time it ended up in the net and at around 6lb things started to look a tad better. Another pot of bait and back out to foul hook a lump of around 9lb witch took ages to land as the 10/12 slick stretches for ever. Another pot of grub was introduced and another fish on but this was another foul hooked fish and lost it . Back out and the bites kept coming and although it wasn't always a carp as a few silvers muscled in it was catch a carp and feed a pot of bait ready for the next one .I ended up losing five carp on the pole plus the one on the method .but had five in the net at the all out.
Colin had a few carp and was saying that he had 37lb on his clicker , I was estimating around the same but my silvers could make a big difference.
Cotty was first to the scales and with only four fish weighed 42lb , he had some hefty old lumps.
Nothing else of any significance was weighed and then it was my turn .the silvers went 8lb4oz and my carp took the needle to 39lb8oz for a total of 47lb12oz
Colin couldn't quite match it and put 43lb8oz next to his name , then Roger who had the three early carp put a big twenty on the scales as he had taken a few skimmers as well.
So it was a nice little win for yours truly .
I managed to keep nice and dry throughout the match but as we were packing up it hosed it down and everything that I had kept dry ended up soaked through . I have just spent this afternoon drying all of it .

Last edited by a moderator:

ATTICUS FINCH

Yeah it was lake C I was on the cafe bank with the big pampas grass on my left.quite a narrow peg with no real inside line as the rushes and pampas stuck out too far from the bank .the 2+2line was just down the shelf but still on a bit of a slope , I found it best to lay the rig straight out in front and let it swing back into the slope.bites were very delicate barely dipping the float which was dotted down to about three mm. Very light rig just three no8, and an eleven to fine tune. No bulk all evenly spread.

Total

Site Supporter
Yeah it was lake C I was on the cafe bank with the big pampas grass on my left.quite a narrow peg with no real inside line as the rushes and pampas stuck out too far from the bank .the 2+2line was just down the shelf but still on a bit of a slope , I found it best to lay the rig straight out in front and let it swing back into the slope.bites were very delicate barely dipping the float which was dotted down to about three mm. Very light rig just three no8, and an eleven to fine tune. No bulk all evenly spread.

Don't ask MTC about the bank between the Lakes B and C!....He looses bream on there! ;):love:

violator

I'm a member too, lake A is my favourite but this year has seen an influx of anglers on all the lakes, understandable, and some days have been a bit of a struggle

ATTICUS FINCH

A lot of our guys struggled as the weather was pants, some were even moaning they couldn't get a bite in maggot, but worm was picking up a few silvers. I had everything on maggot .must tell that there was a car in the carpark that had its rear door window fully open , turned out it was a night angler and the window was broken ,it was absolutely soaked inside.