Piper at the Gates of Dawn

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
52 years ago today

Pink Floyd released thier first Album, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"

The first offering from a band that pushed the boundaries of music,

doesnt seem that long since I was first introduced to a band that has had such an impact on my life and musical tastes,

from going to concerts, including the legendary performance of The Wall at Earls Court, to just chillin at home with a album, or CD

near always the band that I reach for first in the collection

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Love Floyd... always have and saw the Wall gig... shame they'll not play again... Aussie Floyd and BritFloyd are both very good though

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Played a huge part in my teenage years and still love them now. Their music sounds just as good as it did back then.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Wall was released 40 year ago,

with part 2 being the final no 1 of the 1970's

got the ticket for the earls court concert by default, 3 fellas I knew were going and one had a bike wreck a week before the gig, so I was offered the ticket, that concert really freaked me out, not been to anything like it before or since

davylad

Site Supporter
I couldn't really get into them back in the 70's era, but I love some of the stuff now, such as "Wish You were here" "The Wall 1 & 2". Maybe I don't understand some of the music.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nick Mason is a really nice down to earth fella. One of our customers when I worked for Lexus and always generous with his tips. ;)

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I helped out on the road crew for one of Pink Floyd's 'Wall' gigs at Earls Court. They had about six artic's full of sound gear as I recall, and each one packed floor to ceiling. It was hard work. But we were paid for it and we got to see the gig for free from an 'up close' standing area. Didn't get within a mile of meeting the band, and had no access to the backstage area. We were just the 'umpers and shifters.

DFL

Site Supporter
Nick Mason is a really nice down to earth fella. One of our customers when I worked for Lexus and always generous with his tips. ;)

Now part of the Notting Hill luvvies set.

Might have seen you there Mick, was at Earls Court for the Wall too, great memories.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
My copy of "Piper" was mono...

Saw Dark Side, Wish You were Here, Animals, The Wall and Momentary Lapse Concerts. Brilliant stuff. Missed part of the Animals gig when I fell asleep must have perhaps been the fumes or something or other!

Blanks

Site Supporter
Brilliant album and still listen to it sometimes along with saucerful of secrets and Dark side in fact all the early Floyd. Sid was a genius, Grimble gromble Lol.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
52 years ago?

Who the hell pinched that last half-century then?

Odd how you can be an OAP , but still feel like a daft kid in your head!
Long may it last. :p

stikflote

Site Supporter
Brick in the wall is only one I like ,,didn't like them very much
and I don't have or buy any of there music,

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I first saw them live at the Rhodes Centre in Bishops Stortford in 1967. It would have been just after they released their second single, "See Emily play" because I remember them playing it, along with Arnold Lane and others.
The light show was done with 35mm projectors and roadies heating up the slides with blow torches. We had never seen anything like it. The only problem was that they didn't have any slow ones so that we could get off with girls, which is what we were there for.
It would have been around 15p to get in.
Been a fan ever since