pinging corn

Expanda

I seem to have a problem pinging corn. This is particularly when fishing 14m or so go an island. I'm only trying to get 5 or 6 grains on target but the scatter usually covers both adjacent pegs

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Green Giant has the most consistent size, the cheap corn is great for potting in, but for catapulting I always use GG. Maybe cut down to 3 grains and feed twice, try and ensure they are if an even size or the will go all over the lake…..

crackatoa

Account Locked
I seem to have a problem pinging corn. This is particularly when fishing 14m or so go an island. I'm only trying to get 5 or 6 grains on target but the scatter usually covers both adjacent pegs
If you're only fishing 14m why not use a cad pot. Drop them in from a couple of foot above the water to get the noise.

Expanda

Thanks for replies. seems the pouch shape is a key factor (like the button ideaπŸ‘πŸ»). I think a lot of my problem is using cheap tins of corn which are very uneven sizes. I do use a pot, but like to keep some going in while the feeder's out etc.
Thanks again for replies .πŸ‘πŸ»

Line Clip

I bought some Sonu Baits F1 sweetcorn for the flavor attraction, but I was amazed how well they catapulted out ,
The grains go out as good as 6 mm pellets , I use a Preston match catty.

grey

Site Supporter
I use a match-style throwing stick for 15m - it offers a far tighter feed pattern than catapult up to this distance.

Know it's not everyone's cuppa, but I'm surprised more anglers don't use them.

MartinWY

I use a match-style throwing stick for 15m - it offers a far tighter feed pattern than catapult up to this distance.

Know it's not everyone's cuppa, but I'm surprised more anglers don't use them.
Is that like a dog ball throwing stick?

grey

Site Supporter
Is that like a dog ball throwing stick?
No, basically it's a 2ft handle with a tube on the end. Incredibly accurate, and more convenient than a catapult - even more so if you can work it left handed whilst holding the pole in your right.

Trotting

No, basically it's a 2ft handle with a tube on the end. Incredibly accurate, and more convenient than a catapult - even more so if you can work it left handed whilst holding the pole in your right.
Where can you get a match throwing stick? I've never seen one in a tackle shop.

grey

Site Supporter
Yes, throwing stick. Doubt you'll be able to buy one in a shop - had mine made for me by Terry Smith a few years ago.

I know the dimensions of a throwing stick have to be quite specific for it to work - I can draw the measurements off mine if you want to try and make a copy.

Total

Site Supporter
......I know the dimensions of a throwing stick have to be quite specific for it to work - I can draw the measurements off mine if you want to try and make a copy.
^^ If you would please.....(y)......I bet yours has got "Shimano" engraved on it!;):ROFLMAO:

grey

Site Supporter
yes mate, as below:

throwing stick.jpg

Basically, it can be made from section of 1 inch wide light tube (carbon cut from old pole works great) attached to a section of an old rod handle via a piece of cork or foam.

Measurements and the chamfer are important to make it work. Keep the cup section as light as possible as you'l get better 'feel' when using.

Technique is simple but does of course require a little practice - load wit bait, hold upright in one hand in front of you, chamfer sloping down towards the target, hand about eye level, a flick of the wrist is all that's needed to send bait upto 25yards or so.

Don't overload it, works best with a pinch of bait.

Accuracy at 12-13 yards is tighter and more accurate than any catapult: good pinch of maggots saucer size spread, corn teacup size spread.

Fishing a pole at full length, then a catapult is probably better for soft light baits (maggots), but the stick is still more accurate with heavier corn, pellets etc.

You can drop your bait in gentle or hard - harder than you can with the catty (for those who may be interested in the option when on the pellet wag).

Not great in very windy conditions.