Pike season.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I was pike fishing on saturday when another club member came along and had a chat with me. He asked when the pike fishing on our waters start, I told him that it is october and after a short chat about other stuff he asked " why does the pike season start in october ? ".
I told him that I don't know why it is, so why is it ?
I know of 3 other clubs local to me who are the same.

Silver fan 82

Probably cos most people fish for carp in the summer but don't bother in the winter?
Dunno in all seriousness.
Is it to do with Pike not doing to well after a fight in the summer cos of the lack of oxygen in the water?
I have caught Pike in summer with no problem as long as you rest them enough.
Maybe with club waters is it cos they don't want people chucking lures around when the waters are generally busier?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
There is no such thing as a pike season. Some clubs include it in their rules, but it is not a national law, nor local by law. The reason such rules exist are largely a mix of tradition (angling for certain species often was seasonal) and Pike Anglers Club (PAC) guidelines/recommendations.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It's mainly classed as the "pike season" as now is when the big girls pack on the most weight ready for spawning.
End of Feb and until season end in March is the prime time for Barbel as well for exactly the same reason - fish getting ready for spawning.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
A combination of reasons, and people will argue both sides until they are blue in the face.

The reasons for: as mentioned above, pike need a high oxygen content in the water, and as they have a higher metabolic rate in the summer with warmer water, they fight more but there is less dissolved oxygen, increasing the risk of death on return to the water. Equally, fishing with dead/live baits in the summer can be very risky, as again, with pike being more active, they are more likely to wolf the bait down and get deep hooked - less of an issue with lures.

Reasons against: No they don't.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I'd imagine with a little common sense you can fish for pike all year round.

The rules are probably made due to some people out there without common sense who would try deadbaiting on a 33c July day.

Rjays 2

Always thought the Pike season (Oct till Feb or thereabouts) was when you can use live bait....Dead bait all year round.....