Pike livebait setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme Piker

Has any body got any of thier own livebait methods or maybe doctord ones? If so please tell me.

I want one better than this one.

The next one's gunna be a RECORD!

martin.

Account Locked
hi supreme piker
welome to the mad MDs
i dont know about livebait rigs as i havnt used livebait for several years.but ive had quite a few pike up to my personal best 29-02 on deadbaits & lures.
I know there are some on here that are knoledgable on livebaits so they should soon post some info for you
best of luck

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

norm

hi piker
i usually only use deads (best fish 24lb)
second best 22lb 2oz
next 18lb next 16lb so i am sorry i can not help you with the live bait question

but welcome aboard and have fun

i coming to get ya teeeeppeeeeeeee

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I use three basic methods for a still water.
The first a free roaming bait. This is the normal setup a sliding float stopped by a stop knot and set to the required depth. lead weight as required.

Second I will drift a live bait using a drifter float in both cases the bait is on a standard 2 hook rig with the top treble lightly hooked in the dorsal fin muscle.

Lastly a paternostered live bait this is a comparativly complicated rig that uses a sunken float, runs are detected using a drop back indicator and buzzer. If you want details of this rig Email me and I will sort out a dia. to send you.

The live bait can be replaced by a dead bait for drifting.

Generally the larger fish fall to dead baits with live bait producing smaller fish. I would suggest that deads would produce fewer runs but the size should be bigger.

Having said all that if the water you are fishing does not hold or hasnt produced a bigger fish to any one, then you should be looking for another water.

chill out go fishing

Supreme Piker

Hi, thanks for all the tips. I'll Knock 'em dead on Saturday.

Last edited:

Supreme Piker

Guy's if you like that ive also caught these.

And

Last edited:

crusty

Hi Ben.

please think again when you go to use livebaits,
do you really need to?
try using deadbaits and lures and not livebaits and i promise you'll catch just as many fish, you may not get as many runs because you tend to get less attention from jacks and I assume you want the bigger fish anyway.

Don't give the anti's any more ammo, we say we care about fish, we should show that we do.

crusty

ifyncituncatchit

norm

what sort of lives did you get the bream on mate

(or is it just your dad proud of his sons good catches (lol) )

well done mate keep catching
norm

ben grim

hi ben,nice fish.
in my opinion "crusty"has a valid point.to me live baits
are barbaric,how anyone can say they respect fish whilst
they stick hooks in then,teather then up lob them into the
water in hope that a preditor comes a long to eat this fish
i dont want to rant on Ben,you'll catch big pike with
lures(i do),and dead baits,try not to go down the live bait
path,what knowlage i have,i will share.i just don't like live
baits [:D]

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Sorry Chaps, I disagree with you over the live bait issue. I can take you to a water and let you fish as many and varied dead baits you want. The result nil. Live bait however scores every time,and yes every time I have been a dead bait was out all day.
I suppose that you have no problems using maggots or worm BUT these are live bait.
Live baiting for pike is a method streching back many years and is a legal method. As an angler YOU are setting the stage for the anti's to jump on this band wagon.
Lets all of us be tolerant of other methods that are effective. If we cant then this is likely to drive wedges between the various types af angler and can only be bad for the sport we all love.
If you dont like a method then ok do not criticise it but do your own thing.

chill out go fishing

ben grim

i was expressing my opinion,my views,i didn't mean to offend.
i have no large horse to climb but i just use lures,i don't
have a problem with maggots or worms,i just need to be active.
when i meet anglers on the bank,and they realise what
i'm fishing for,i have to try to persuade then into the benifits
of pike in their waters,well,not realy benifits more justification
of the pike's existence.this is my main worry over live baits,plus
the anti's

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

crusty

I too did not mean to offend, I asked Ben to "think again" when using livebaits.
I am by no-means an expert on pike angling, but i've caught quite a few, and I used to use livebaits, I just went off it.
on the grand scale of things I suppose its no worse than using worms, but to me, different somehow.
I respect everyones right to fish in any legal manner they wish, and good luck to them.
But I honestly think in an annonymous poll of anglers, most, ignorantly or not, would see it stopped.

crusty

Supreme Piker

Hi guys i can't just say
to all the fish, I'v caught plenty of fish on livebait. I don't see whats wrong with it. If you don't catch any pike you can just let 'em go afterwards, all they've got is a hook hole in ther mouth and dorsal fin. they don't[xx(]. I've caught a Roach with a ripped dorsal fin. I could tell it was a hook because there was a hole under the cut.

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
i wasnt getting at either crusty or Ben, but I cant follow the line of reasoning that one form of live bait is a no no and others are ok.
You both should reread your posts.
Ben you say how can an angler have respect for a fish if he sticks hooks in them...isnt this how all anglers catch fish??????
crusty you say you will catch as many fish on deads but have less runs, HOW ?????
I know this can be an emotive subject. I have several pet hates I do not try to persude people to give them up, but I refuse to do them myself. I will also defend their right to do so.
As anglers this is the way we should be going not doing the antis job for them by trying to split anglers in to smaller groups so there branch of the sport can be picked off.

chill out go fishing

martin.

Account Locked
hi
im in agreement with essox on this one although i dont use livebaits for pred fishing this is due to our water having a ban on livebaits this was introduced several years ago NOT because we believe it to be cruel as we dont but for the simple reason you can only use livebaits which come from the water they are being used on & we found this was being abused so the only way we could bailiff it effectivly was to ban the use of livebaits.
NOTE .
this action was taken because of just the odd person flaunting the rules ruined it for everyone . So if any of you do use livebait please obey the rules & not ruin it for others

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

ben grim

ah,forgot about the hook in the mouth when i catch fish [8]
come one,its not the same as a tethered live fish is it,do you
take bites out of all the fish you catch,i don'tso where is the comparison. it's not for me,i'm a hunter,i need to keep moving.
you know sooner or later it will be banned,dead sea baits only,
i'll keep to my lures [:D]

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Ben,with an attitude like yours then yes it will be. You cant pick and choose like you do. 'bites out of all the fish you catch'????????
I am first and foremost a pike angler. I use what ever legal method I feel meets the situation to catch them.
If your happy restricting yourself to one method then thats fine.
I for one will support that. BUT surely you in return should be prepared to support all other branches,types and methods used by anglers.
Arent we all hunters hunters of fish? I could take exception to that to because it smackes of we kill all we catch.
I suggest you go and think through what you feel is the way foreward for you in this great sport of ours. We people like you ready to give in to the antis so easily (in fact are you an anti?) because from your statements you dont seem far off being one.
If the use of live fish as bait is banned how far behind will maggots, worms slugs etc be? Then how popular will your view be with all other anglers.

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
"chill out go fishing"

Seems quite appropriate [B)][:)]

Dave

ben grim

as i said at the start,these are my views,i thought forums are for expresion of thought.i'm not having a dig at anyone.it would be
boring if we couldn't air these from time to time.
yes i do only fish with lures,but i want to stand with all types of anglers,i'm not a member of any club or special privalaged group
i fish rivers,drains and canals (off season).if i never took up lure fishing i would never have understood how catching a fish can seriously change your life.[:D][:D][:D]
i just don't like livebaiting(fish).

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

norm

everyone to there own
i must admit i don't like live baiting but i do ,do it on occasion as i know you can get a lot more fish on it,

Status
Not open for further replies.