Pike floats.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I'm getting my stuff ready for my first pike fishing trip of the new season on my club waters and thought about the way that the float is attached to the line.
How do you guys do it I.E. bottom end only similar to how a surface control float for carp using anti tangle sleeve and swivel (only inverted ). If this method is used it means that a fish is unlikley to be tethered in the event of a line breaking.

Or, do you use the through hole on the float (the top to bottom hole) and a stop as in a rubber float stop etc.

Does any one even use a Kelly Klip on a pike float, I on occasion have done.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Both depending on circumstances

If I'm on the river and I'm running a bait downstream then I tend to go through the float, the exception to that is if I'm running a livebait when I fish bottom end only

If I'm fishing a lake or even close in on the river then its bottom end only and always unweighted floats, don't possess a pre loaded pike float of any description, unweighted are much more versatile

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
When float ledgering I use massive 8" sliders, bead and powergum stop knot above. works everywhere.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Make my own sliding bungs. I went through quite a phase of using unloaded pencil floats, but find that a sliding bung works for the vast majority of my float fishing.

IMG_6116_Fotor.jpg

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I made some wagglers for my pike fishing. 1/2 inch balsa sticks about 7 inches long. I rounded the ends and drilled a hole in one end to glue an eye in made of twisted copper wire. Painted carpy green with red tips. I made about 6 for the price of a couple from a tackle shop. I put a float stop on, rubber bead then the float and some 3SSG shot. Set it a couple of foot over depth and tighten down, if a pike even sniffs the deadbait it shows on the float.

If I'm livebaiting then I use a bung float. I bought a set of these Amazon product and use the 3ssg weights depending on the size of the bait and how much i want it to move. If I want a static live bait I use a paternoster and sunk float