Pike fishing

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's pretty impressive, were you using lures?
No - all on deadbait as it goes, although another angler came down with a lure rod and had 3 in the space of about 15 minutes in the next swim. They were clearly in the mood today!

Itsdrew93

the rod and reel isn't that particularly important, I have a 5-20 gram 8 ft rod and a size 1000 spinning reel, you are doing a LOT of casting over and over and over so going lightweight will make the experience more pleasant

pike are ambushers, they hunt kinda like snakes, they will stick in one spot with their heads sticking out of weeds etc. and wait for prey to swim past their nose and trigger their lateral line senses. they don't tend to wander around much and this means your lure fishing has to cover as much water as possible, you will want to arrive at a location and cast maybe 8 times in various directions and depths and then move on 50m down the bank cuz there arent any pike present if you aint catching within the first few casts (or they just don't like your lure)

what lure you use changes with the water itself so its best to START SMALL and adapt as you learn more about the water and what works. if I were to choose 5-6 lures for a small lure box - 1). 50mm shad 2). size 3 or 5 mepps spinner 3). a curly tail 80mm that you'd use to bounce along the bottom 4). a nice minnow jerkbait 5). a topwater walk the dog lure (with a nice knocking rattle)

right now we are coming into winter, the lure fishing is getting tough but still very enjoyable, the weeds are all disappearing but there is lots of leaves covering the water bed that a bottom lure would get lost in, so you want a mid-water lure I'd say

when January / February rolls around you will want to use that bottom lure as most of the leaves will have disintergrated allowing the lure to work without obstruction and the pike will be right on the bottom

what else, pike can be surprisingly inaccurate when they strike you can sometimes have a pike trying to devour your lure as you'd retrieve and you'd never even know it! use barbless and set your drag very light so you can easily pull line with your hand without much effort cuz these fish are masters at throwing hooks

Itsdrew93

the rod and reel isn't that particularly important, I have a 5-20 gram 8 ft rod and a size 1000 spinning reel, you are doing a LOT of casting over and over and over so going lightweight will make the experience more pleasant

pike are ambushers, they hunt kinda like snakes, they will stick in one spot with their heads sticking out of weeds etc. and wait for prey to swim past their nose and trigger their lateral line senses. they don't tend to wander around much and this means your lure fishing has to cover as much water as possible, you will want to arrive at a location and cast maybe 8 times in various directions and depths and then move on 50m down the bank cuz there arent any pike present if you aint catching within the first few casts (or they just don't like your lure)

what lure you use changes with the water itself so its best to START SMALL and adapt as you learn more about the water and what works. if I were to choose 5-6 lures for a small lure box - 1). 50mm shad 2). size 3 or 5 mepps spinner 3). a curly tail 80mm that you'd use to bounce along the bottom 4). a nice minnow jerkbait 5). a topwater walk the dog lure (with a nice knocking rattle)

right now we are coming into winter, the lure fishing is getting tough but still very enjoyable, the weeds are all disappearing but there is lots of leaves covering the water bed that a bottom lure would get lost in, so you want a mid-water lure I'd say

when January / February rolls around you will want to use that bottom lure as most of the leaves will have disintergrated allowing the lure to work without obstruction and the pike will be right on the bottom

what else, pike can be surprisingly inaccurate when they strike you can sometimes have a pike trying to devour your lure as you'd retrieve and you'd never even know it! use barbless and set your drag very light so you can easily pull line with your hand without much effort cuz these fish are masters at throwing hooks
Thank you mate that makes sense