Pike Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYJL1964

Hi All,

I live in West Yorkshire (Wakefield area). i was wondering if anyone would be willing to take me Pike fishing just to see how I go on.
I don't want to buy the tackle before giving it a go.

Regards

Andy (length63@aol.com)

Andy J Lockwood

martin.

Account Locked
hi andy jl
first
welcome to the mad MDs
secondly
i live to far to help this time but i know there are some on the site what will help, they are a good friendly lot on here & will try thier best.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

brady

i was just wondering why pike fishing seems to be a winter sport is it because the pike feed better in winter or the course fish feed worse or is it a mix of the two?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Andy,

Not being an expert at Piking here are my opinions on why it is more popular in winter:

1) Pike do not seem to be affected by the cold as much as coarse fish in general. When the water chills the coarse fish tend to become lethargic and consequently become easy targets for the pike hence the pike become more active as they try to build body mass.

2) Coarse fishing slows down in winter on the lakes as the temperature drops and also in the rivers if 'snow' water comes down them. Hence a good reason to change for a spot of piking.

As regards an invite - you're invited icon_smile.gif

I'm not a million miles away from you and you're more than welcome to come along for a day. As to when tho' ? Maybe October/November'ish.
Send me an email a bit nearer the time and we'll sort something out.

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
hi brady
ive been fishing for pike on & off for 30+ years my personal best is 29lb from motums leam in cambs in 1979 . I have qulified for & fished in the final of the british pike championship for the last 3yrs
this oct will be the forth time in a rowthat ive fished it our river has some of the best pike fishing in the country inc the largest pike to come out in a british pike match at 31-08.
My personal opinion on why pike feed beter in winter is.
1- during the summer the pike tend to feed on the fry in the weed in the side therefore they do not need to chase plugs & spinners ect or search round for deadbaits
2- during the winter the course fish are less active & tend to shoal up in specific locations the pike anglers know this & therfore know that they have a better chance of catching them so they tend to target them.
3 -pike will feed all year round but during summer & autum the angling presshave plenty of carp, barbel,ect to put in thre papers so pike tend to be ignored in the winter there are less spectacular catches of ordinary fish so they put in the larger pike stories to fill up there pages

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I hate to disagree with you but..... I think its down to tradition pike are more active in the summer feed better fight better and are more responsive to lures. My best catches always come in October and early November and then tail off as the weather worsens.
I say tradition cos it was accepted that carp tench barbel etc were a summer species. We now know different. I know but in the past if large fish were the target only pike were accepted as being the species to tackle witness what is the traditional quarry on boxing day no prizes for the right answer.
Cold water and severe weather changes affect pike just the same in winter as it does the other fish.
I choose not to fish for pike in the summer as I fish for other species. Apart that is for the odd lure bashing session. I did once set out and catch a pike on 16 June, 11lb + was the outcome and the fight was as good as a carp of similar size in fact better as it spent that much time airborne.

chill out go fishing

mcurtis

I think that there is truth in both arguments.

Pike do respond to changes in temperature, as with other coarse fish - but they are the last to go into a dormant state and the first to respond differently to the temperature rising. So when a slight rise in temperature occurs, the pike respond more quickly than the coarse fish and they take advantage of their still dormant state.

I have to confess to mainly being a theorist on pike fishing - but that seems to be why alot of the books tell you that it is the changes in temperature during winter months that are the best times for pike. (sits back and awaits flame)

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.