Pike Fishing question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col7777

I went Pike fishing today, I caught a jack of around 5LB, this thing was wild, I used a landing net to bring it to the unhooking mat, but the lure was also hooked in the net.
I managed to get it out of the Pike but to unhook it from the net was another matter, I was worried for the Pike and my self too, as I was struggling to get the lure out of the net this thing was snapping at me, in the end I had to put the Pike back in to the water by hand and it wasn't happy with me holding it.
It took me a while to get the lure free but I couldn't have done it with the Pike in the net as well, should I have used a net in the first place or just grab it by the gills?

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
whatever your confident with, my personally would have lifted it out the water under the gills..

batman

Cut the hooks with side cutters if they are stuck in the net, some people net pike some people use hands.
I was until pollution, fishing where the only way to get the pike was a net. The smaller fish seem to go bezzerk when netted where as the bigger fish are more well behaved, I once had a jack hooked and as you it tangled up the net and as I was unhooking the fish, it span again and the hook went through me, luckily I have the habbit of squashing the barbs.[:eek:)]

codenamemilo

If you dont know already just get someone to show you how to do it. It is easy to damage the rakers if you are unsure, also easy to get nicked yourself doing it. Main knack to "chinning" pike is confident assured handling, if you approach it nervously or not quite sure how to do it you risk damage to yourself or the fish.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
or buy a different landing net for pike, i use a korum rubber meshed landing net, never get an issue with a pike rolling around as the net as the net doesnt move and the hooks are easily removed... they cost about 20

Col7777

I've got one of the rubber nets too but I went and took the other type because it was deeper and I thought it might be better, I obviously wished I had now.

As for grabbing by the gills I am still a bit nervous yet, the one I caught today was like a rabid dog.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bizarre as it seems, bigger pike are easier to get by the gills than jscks as you can get a proper grip rather than just with a couple of fingers. If you can, go fishing with someone used to handling pike like that - once you've seen it done, you have the confidence that you won't get your fingers minced!

That said - I use a net, but being able to gill them when you're unhooking makes the job a million times easier.

Fishnets

Good idea to crush the barbs or change them for barbless hooks so if you do get hooked in the net it is much easier to remove the hooks. Use good quality long nosed pliers or purpose built fishing ones (not the flimsy forceps, the fox, prowla type things), cost a few pennies but will help you get firm grips on the hooks and save cuts etc, of the pike shakes his head a bit. Which is better for the pike too.
Lift the net onto your unhooking mat, making sure you have everything to hand (I clip my pliers to trouser pocket or something), gently roll the pike onto its back, slip open the mouth by carefully using fingers through gills avoiding contact with gill rakes, un hook carefully but firmly, leave hook on pliers and put out of the way, enjoy fish, photo, kiss, return carefully allowing to rest in net after a hard fight or hold in water until it is ready to pull free.
As you get confident at this you will get confident lifting smaller ones out by hand and bigger ones will come. Bigger ones are sometimes a lot easier to hold as mentioned above and don't thrash madly on the bank.
Always take your time to do it all properly for the fish, it gets quicker and easier but no less scary especially when you get something bigger than you've had before!!

Col7777

Another question,

When I caught the jack and returned it to the water I carried on fishing the same spot then decided to move further along the bank, I never got any more takes and I wondered if Pike have a territory and others might not be there because of the one I caught.
How far apart are Pike likely to be be from each other if they do have territory?

Fishnets

Far from it, often pike will hunt in packs, litterally herding prey fish up and attacking them.
Often you can get a run of fish from the same spot or area, especially jacks and smaller fish. Biggies I think tend to be more lonesome fish, but big old girls are often caught in pairs, so maybe they do keep the pack instinct as they grow.
When lure fishing cover the whole swim and cast at different angles, it's amazing how many times you can bring a lure in past one spot and then bang a fish. It's like you have goaded it into striking. I've often had a second pike follow a hooked one in, recast and had another. In warm weather don't forget to try loose feeding the prey fish as the activity does seem to attract the pike in or get them on the feed! Look how often matchmen get harrased by pike on the feed

bluntbaby

My feeling is that pike are not pack fish as such, in that they dont follow each other about, but without a doubt when you get a decent food source they will move in and come into contact with each other so can seem like a shoal. I do think that at certain times of the year pike will just sit in a spot they like to wait for food or a mate, which keeps the other smaller fish out. Often the best spots will have a big old girl just sat waiting, if you catch her, another slightly smaller fish will move in and so on and so on. Its happend to me too many times to be coincidence.

Fishnets

Might be so, but i've definately seen them herd up bait fish against snags and into eddies. I'm sure jacks probablly roam around together until they get to a size or something in nature sets them apart.
But offten you see the big old girls caught in pairs of similar size.....
Wish I had a pair of the big old girls!!

160642fishing

Site Supporter
five or six years ago we were fishing a pike match on the Twenty Foot drain just outside March in Cambridgeshire when me and the guy on the next peg had nine pike between us in the first hour of the match,that was before the Eastern Europeans arrived in the area in large numbers,now you are lucky if you get a run in an hour

Col7777

You guys are great with the advice, thanks.

Another question:

I was using a spinning rod (Shimano Nexave 2.10m c.weight 5.20g) it performed well but I also got worried if I got something big would the rod be good enough, or should I use a heavier rod?

Fishnets

Not familiar with the rod, but I have a shimano catana spinning rod that I use, I think you would be suprised at the amount of power you can exert with them. If something pulls back that hard you'd probably be in the realms of giving line anyway!!
Without going mad and pulling like there is no tomorrow you could tie your line to something imoveable and apply pressure slowly and feel just how much effort you have to use, then set the clutch so you know you just can't damage the rod.(think just how much pressure you could put on a carp with a medium power feeder rod, 8lb main line and 7lb hook links - immense)
Depends how strong your line is but in real fishing terms your trebble hook would most likely straighten and pull out of a fish or snag before you break, thats one of the reasons line weights can seem a bit excessive, but if you do snag then you probably won't lose anything but a hook with good gear.
If you are fishing very snaggy areas think about more powerfull gear and in open realatively snag free areas go lighter. Lighter is more fun too.

Col7777

I agree lighter is fun, I feeder fish mostly and love the tug of a bigish fish.
I did get a good bend on the spinning rod and as you say I did let the clutch out a bit as well to ease the pressure/strain and it was fun.

shinkicker

dunno what hooks you use but the ones i use wont straighten or pull out of a fish before my reel line breaks ?

Fishnets

That's what it is all about, a frantic 8lber in the summer on light gear used for a sneaky chub or perch can get the old ticker racing as much as a 15 on heavy gear.
Have you tried rubber lures, big coloured worms, shads etc....Have been getting lots on heavy rubber goldfish looking rubbers, they are sectionised so they really wobble like a real fish. Had a pike come out of the depths from a deep drop off by the bank which actually brike water and grabbed it as it left the water about two feet from my feet, sh@t did I jump out of my skin, I felt like john wilson

Ben.M

Originally posted by Col7777

You guys are great with the advice, thanks.

Another question:

I was using a spinning rod (Shimano Nexave 2.10m c.weight 5.20g) it performed well but I also got worried if I got something big would the rod be good enough, or should I use a heavier rod?

I'm going fishing on the broads soon and i will be using a 6-7ft spinning rod with a 5-20g casting weight and 8lb main line. There is a chance of hooking a pike of any size really but as long as you take your time playing it and your careful then you should be able to land it succesfully, quite a lot more fun too,

Ben.M

Fishnets

Originally posted by shinkicker

dunno what hooks you use but the ones i use wont straighten or pull out of a fish before my reel line breaks ?
Just drennan ones off the peg and find I can exert enough pressure to bend them and pull out of a snag. Steady pressure a few times as opposed to just pulling for a break. Read about having strong enough line to do this from, I think, the great Mick Brown. It's saved me a handfull of lures on the thames ( I assume it's a snag and not one of the 90lb pike)

Status
Not open for further replies.