Pike Fishing - Proper Strong Treble Hooks, Swivels & Trace Material

brian carragher

Site Supporter
OK here goes

I use hooks bu Owner, Drennan, Kamasan and Fox, all good brands and sharp but when I run out I'll buy Fladen hooks as for the price they're not too bad really, not as good as the premium brands but they get you out of a pickle sometimes

20220424_112921.jpg

As you can see I generally have a few hooks in stock, the above being whats left after a winters piking just gone

In answer to your question on which Owners to buy then the above pic gives the answer st 36bc seem to work for me

20220424_112931.jpg

These make for good livebait fishing for perch, not too big that they cant get the hooks in their mouths and a good match for perch sized livebaits

20220424_112943.jpg

These are very good hooks and razor sharp, available in barbed and semi barbed , nice radius to the hook and they keep the baits on the barbs well, rumour has it that they're Owner hooks and to me they look every bit of it, pics later to compare

20220424_112950.jpg

These Owners in 8's are very versatile and hold the baits well, wont bend or give in when youve got a big lump on and because they're slightly larger in size than most of the competition they dont mask the hooks when theyre in the bait stacking the odds of a good hook up in your favour

20220424_113005.jpg

Fladen , Kamasan and Drennan in 6's and nearly all of my traces are made up with 8's and 6's and although I do have some 4's I actually prefer the 8's and 6's as they're easier to get a hookhold, with them being razor sharp and of a thinner guage they dont require a strike of Geoff Capes strength or repeated striking to set the hooks, one simple lift to tighten the hooks is all you need, the bigger the radius and the heavier the guage then the more force required to set the hooks, to me thinner and sharper is better and I have utmost confidence in using them in those sizes, i'm not a fan of big meathooks for deadbaiting or lure fishing either for that matter

20220424_113009.jpg

These 4's are as big as I'll go and I'll match them to real big baits like full mackeral in the 10inch range or half bream baits of about 3/4lb

20220424_113012.jpg

The ones at the top are the pike pro trebles, not much cop at all in mu opinion, much much too heavy in the wire guage and not sharp at all, they also have a tendancy to be very brittle and snap for no apparent reason, really should throw them out, they're that bad

20220424_113104.jpg

On the left is an Owner size 4 and on the right is a Pikepro size 4, you can see the difference in the radius and in the thickness of the wire gauge

20220424_113148.jpg

Size 6 owner on the left and Drennan 6 on the right, you can see the Drennan is still much heavier than the Owner

20220424_113443.jpg

From left to right, Owner, Kamasan and Drennan all in the same size , slightly different radius to each hook but all sharp and used by me

20220424_113548.jpg

Owner left, Kamasan right as viewed from above showing the difference in the gauge used

20220424_113744.jpg

Owner 8 on the left and the Jaxon Sumato on the right, although ones barbed and the other semi barbed you can see the similarities between the two

20220424_113756.jpg

Same two hooks as viewed from above showing their relative size and gauge

I also use Fox hooks and use them a fair bit too, the only reason theres no pics of them is that theyre all on made up traces now but they're very comparable to the Owners in terns of radius, sharpness and gauge

Two options for your traces, crimp or twist, I'm a crimper, I reckon if crimping is good enough for heavy industry and crane lifting strops then its good enough for me in making traces up

20220424_113847.jpg

these are what I use, they get a real good grip of the wire without having to have superhuman strength to crush and crimp, a quick nip is all thats required, you can buy branded crimps but theyre all the same as generic crimpers but without the big brand names on the side and at a third of the price

20220424_113918.jpg

These are some of the wires I'm using, the Kodex is made by Middy and I bought them from Nev Ficklings shop (available on line from him), its not too bad but it doesnt take too well to pikes teeth and tends to pig tail a little, sometimes you migh only get the one fish out of a trace before its goosed but its relativly cheap and you get plenty on a spool so its no concern really, just use the hooks again and cut a new length of wire

20220424_114023.jpg

crimps are pretty cheap and easy to use, I pass the wire though the crimp to form a loop and then turn the tag end back in on itself so it sits back inside the crimp , so you'll end up with three strands of wire inside the crimp itself so it pays to have different diameter crimps so you can be versatile in choosing which wire to use as different manufacturers of wire all have different diameters so for the price of the crimps it really isnt worth scrimping on them, remember though that a goog crimp is whats going to land your next big lump so use good crimping pliers like those shown above, those small crimping tools that crush the crimp that look like long nose pliers are in my opinion best consigned to the bin, if you use long nosed crimping pliers then eventually you'll get a failure and that gutting feeling

OLD SCHOOL

Or you could buy a packet of these... MUSTAD DEMON CIRCLE FINE ULTRA POINT in size 4/0.....ref 39951 NP-BN, I crush the barb on mine, why not try them side by side with your trebles,?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
@Tinca Mad

Your 6000 reels will be just fine, as for rods the drennan esox is rated as is the wychwood range and neither will break the bank

If you come across any fox predator xs rods second hand then buy them

I use Dave lumbs baitblasters as well as normark rods, Eddie Turner original pitmasters and a grey's prowl but the best of the lot are the baitblasters but really if you're just feeling your way into piking then the esox or wychwood will be more than fine
Korum do a pike to too I believe which again is good value for money, I wouldn't rush in to buy 200 quid rods till you feel you're committed or want to get better at it

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Thanks ever so much @brian carragher for going to all that effort to compile your pictures & posts.
Absolutely brilliant read\information from an experienced Pike Angler which reassures me when the time comes to purchase Pike gear, I've bought the right stuff & can have confidence in it.
I will go with 7 Strand Wire as trace material & Crimps too as I agree with the concept of them & the fact the Trebles can be free to move in a loop.
What do you reckon to this Pike Angler's Crimped Trace. He's landed a 31lber on it!

It's interesting the picture of your Crimping Pliers as I just purchased very similar the other day from Aliexpress to make Feeder Links.
There is a world of Anglers products on Aliexpress & more at unbelievable prices!
"Guru" Pellet Band Pliers
As regards a Pike Rod Brian, would you recommend a 2.5lb Test Curve Rod?

Thanks @OLD SCHOOL for your Mustad Circle Hook recommendation too as I will give them a go too :upthumb:

brian carragher

Site Supporter
2.5lb really is the minimum you should be looking for if you're fishing snaggy water and you want to bully the fish out, you might be better using 3lb rods with plenty of backbone if you're fishing those types of waters but if its pretty clean and you're not too close to snags then the 2.5 will be fine

If you haven't already got your rods then its worth having a good look round to see what's on offer, some decent rods available now for reasonable money

Mono or braid comes down to choice, me I'm on braid, powerpro which has virtually no stretch and you can feel everything through the line just like old fashioned touch legering you can actually feel the fish pick up the bait and any movement

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
No bother Bri. I think I found that Jarvis Walker 7 Strand Wire on Aliexpress:
What's your opinion on 49 Strand Wire and do you think this gear would be worth a punt:

brian carragher

Site Supporter
49 strand wire is always going to more supple than any 7 strand wire, the plastic coating will stop it from fraying when you cut it but dont keep your traces any longer than two seasons, because the wire is plastic coated it can trap damp inside and will over time weaken and corrode the wire, I bin all my traces every year and make new ones up just in case

That wire looks like its worth a shot, if you're not sure have a look in your local tackle shop or go outdoors and ask whats their best seller, just a hint though, dont buy the 100lb wire as shown in your first pic, it'll be like tow rope

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Hey Bri @brian carragher
I just came across this video & followed the link to wLure.com in China.
The Trebles look very good & the most recent comment from 4mths asked are you still using them and are they any good to which Joe Simpson replied yes & yes.
Here's the video & links to the wLure Trebles. I'd be interested to see which treble style you'd pick for Deadbaiting:

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Just had a quick look at your links and would think any of the first 3 would be good but I think one of those patterns looks a bit heavy gauge to me , just looks a tad heavy that hook in the 2nd link, otherwise give them a go, will have a look over the weekend and see if I can tempt myself too

Dave gsx1400

Fast approaching my 54th Piking season, brought up on Fenland Piking in the Drains, and gone on from there. I always make-up my own traces & snap tackle set ups. I`ve found its always best to keep things simple, Drennan Green coated wire for the traces (whether spinning or deadbaiting), coupled with Drennan 15lb stranded wire for the trace. Barbless size 8 trebles do the trick. Sometimes an 8/6 combo are the preferred option. Importantly, terminal tackle specs depend entirely on venue and potential fish size. Likewise, hook size and distance between hooks will vary depending on bait size. For the last 3/4 seasons i`ve been trying a single hook with smaller baits (smelt in particular) and have found hooking rates have been really good using a single size 6. When using treble snap tackle, be sure to place your trebles reasonably close together in relation to the bait used, otherwise deep hooking will inevitably occur. Better to miss a run than kill a beautiful fish by deep hooking. On that note, lift into the run early. Do not wait more than a few seconds or the fish will already have a set of trebles beyond the point of return without damage. Generally, i`ve always used 12lb mono for lure fishing and dead baiting, however, after being smashed `big-time` on the `Royal Military Canal` last season (they go `30 in there), i now dead-bait using 30lb braid! Many of you will think thats overkill, but believe me, its the only thing that would have stopped the initial run of the `Big-Girl` that broke me last season. I so hope she survived my hooks and lives to fight another day. All of our predators are in point of fact, very fragile fish, and we need to respect that as responsible anglers. Happy and safe Piking and tight lines to all this Piking `season`.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I have moved away from trebles and now use homemade rigs consisting of size 8 or 6 barbless carp hooks. Since moving away from trebles I have not experienced any increase in missed runs/hookpulls but have found unhooking to be a lot easier and quicker with the hooks often dropping out in the net! I have now had three 20lbs on the single hook rigs and will not be going back to trebles.
Me too.