PIKE FISHING ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYJL1964

Heyupp Fellow Drowners.

I'm wanting to start Pike Fishing (spinning, lures to start with).

Can anyone give me some advice on to what the best rod, reel, lures etc are?

Is it best to have braid as the main line or will mono do?

What size wire traces will I need?

Also, are there any decent Pike venues in the West Yorkshire area?

Regards

Andy [:D]

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Andy J Lockwood

Ian C

Hi Andy,

Maybe if you give us some idea what your budget is we could advise better?

You may find some useful stuff here Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain

Ian C

ANDYJL1964

Thanks Ian

I have already sent of for my Pike Anglers membership

Re: available budget. I could probably run to 100 but if a can do it cheaper all well and good

Regards

Andy [}:)]

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Andy J Lockwood

Andy J Lockwood

joe1987

'Darwener'
Go for a stiff rod and if your budget will allow a baitcaster overhead reel for lure fishing. Sorry, dont know about west yorkshire but try canals, there are usually a fair few jacks willing to lunge at a plug or two. If its only lure fishing you want to do i'd go for a 10 or 8inch 15-20lb trace. Also I wouldn't get annoyed if you dont catch, on lures, in winter just wait til spring and all will be well again, the pike arent very active this time of year. As for lures try getting a selection of spinners, floating plugs, sinking plugs and surface plugs. I've found a muppet used for cod fishing rigged on a treble with a couple of SSGs will work(as the percher can vouch for).

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
YEH, amazing! the sucess i or we had wiv them, they jus came right to the surface and smashed into them. Try splashing them across the surface at a fairly quik speed, then a pause, and often theyll hit them then, fantastic!

Ian C

Hi Andy,

Well, if that's your budget, you should have no problem getting a set up that will do the job nicely [:D]

Bennets

Bennets have a relatively cheap assortment of spinning rods. What you need to think about is the casting weight. Go and have a look at the type of lures you plan to use and match the rod accordingly.

Or, you could do it the way I do and use a good stiff 3lb TC carp or pike rod. That way, you can use the rod for something else. Admittedly, it may not be the ideal solution, but it catches fish [:D]

Personally, I'm not a fan of multipliers and prefer to use an ordinary fixed spool reel. I'd say, the more you plan to use the reel, the higher the quality you'll need or it'll be knackered in no time.

As for braid, the main advantage I can see for using it when lure fishing is that you will feel everything, more so than with mono due to the lack of stretch. But hey, guys have been catching pike with mono for years and its cheaper [;)]

If you really want a spinning outfit, post in the Tackle Talk forum and I'm sure Tiny will be quick to offer his expertise [;)]

Ian C

ja4146

'ha ha!'
I currently use a 6ft baitcaster rod with a shakespeare low profile multiplier reel. I use 10 pound mono and i have not had a chance 2 use braid. I use 12 inch traces.

jea13

iobrien2002

Paddy
definitely a good stiff rod. there are sum good pike rods on the market at the moment. you can get them between 30 and 50 pound and a good zebco reel will always do you good so go for any zebco one at around 20 to 30 pound. so if my maths is correct that should set you back about 80

I.O'Brien

ANDYJL1964

Cheers fellow drowners

I'm away now to catch some nasty, pointy teethed fishies!!!

Regards and tight lines

Andy

I'D RATHER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME THAN A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY
Andy J Lockwood

martin.

Account Locked
one thing ill say is when you get set up with rod reel lures ect get a decent pair of forceps ,a decent sized landing net. and unhooking mat.
try to go with a person who has knoledge of unhooking & handling pike as they are delicate (also they can do you some damage)

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

SteVeC

From my pike fishing experiences I would suggest at least two pairs of forceps, one allways goes mising and pike teeth on skin make an awful mess, I know! blood every where and with the threat of Weils desease that number of cuts is not a good idea.

Cheers

SteVe

Last edited:

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by SteVeC

From my pike fishing experiences I would suggest at least two pairs of forceps, one allways goes mising and pike teeth on skin make an awful mess, I know! blood every where and with the threat of Weils desease that number of cuts is not a good idea.

Cheers

SteVe

I'll go along with that, had some skin taken off my knuckle on the inside of a pike's mouth on Saturday. Bled for ages it did. Considering Weil's disease and all that I consider myself lucky. Bought antiseptic and plasters that very night. I'd also recommend a strong pair of wire cutters in case you need to chop some hooks to aid their removal and also a good pair of long nosed pliers. John Roberts also make a deep throat disgorger. Haven't had cause to use it yet, so can't comment on how good they are.

If you're getting 2 pairs of forceps, get one straight and one curved tip.

That 100 is depleting rapidly!!!!

martin.

Account Locked
this is don a friend of mine he has been pike fishing for a few years look at his right hand fingers he didnt concentrate last thur when he had this 24-08

also the reason that cuts from a pike bleed a lot is there gillrakers are coverd with an anti congealant to stop the blood clotting the gillrakers are more dangerous & sharper than thre teeth

tight lines.
martin.

Lid

Blimey. You've put me off piking now Martin!! Definitely have to go with someone who knows how to handle them the first few trips.

Lid [:)]

martin.

Account Locked
you have to respect pike its not you cutting yourfingers i worry about its just if they do cut you & you drop them then it can do serious damage to the pike& there not like you & can go to doctors

tight lines.
martin.

Lid

Good point Martin. I have caught pike before, but not big ones. I'm always concerned about fish welfare. So much so that I have never yet bothered to take a photo of me actually holding a live fish because I haven't worked out a way to hold them safely enough.

I always feel they are going flap out of my hands and I don't want to grip them so hard it damages them, or removes much slime. The slime loss is probably the biggest concern I have. Even with wet hands it seems to come off fish easily if you grasp them. Whenever possible, I avoid holding a fish at all, just unhooking it in the net and maybe a quick photo there before returning it.

Lid [:)]

Moster

Easiest way to hold a pike is to insert your hand through in the gill as if you were unhooking it, lift up the fish gently over an unhoking matt support the fish around the tail with your other hand and smile! If the fish starts shaking around don't panic hold it close to your body it will stop within a couple of seconds do not pull your hand away from the gills as this will probably knack your hand up and the fishes gill

Last edited:

everyready

has anyone used single pike hook on rigs ,ie two hooks on rig i had some last year were very easy to unhook fish ,also fish did not throw the hooks as they got hooked in the side of jaw most of the time .will have to get long forceps had two fish today one deep hooked took a bit of time to get hooks out but all ok

Status
Not open for further replies.