Pike and perch rod

Itsdrew93

Just brought a pike and perch rod with a casting weight of 12-35g and i will be fishing a water with some carp in and i might swap from jigging to float and maggot which got a chance of hooking a carp of up to 30 35lbs will the rod hold or will it break more likely to hook a carp up to about 12 15lbs though is this a good idea or am i gonna break my new predator set up lol someone please let me know

Thank you.

Philocalist

Hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but the rod you have is already a compromise, even for lure fishing. Bottom line is, if it has enough backbone to sucessfully (and safely) handle bigger pike, it will be massively overpowered for perch (particularly when you consider that most perch caught will be weighed in ounces rather than pounds). Conversely, if the rod is light enough to enjoy perch fishing, its no-where near substantial enough for pike ........

IF the rod is up to the job of safely landing large pike, you might get away with a carp in excess of 30lbs, but TBH, in pretty much any water in the country, catching a carp of that size would be a considerable, careful achievement, rather than an accidental catch, so personally, I wouldnt worry about it.
Bear in mind also that if you are using line / braid heavy enough to be safe for pike (or light enough to make perch fishing productive), neither are likely to be even close for what you may beed for really big carp.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I agree with Philocalist. You are not likely to catch a 30lb carp by accident. We would need to know a lot more about your rod but that casting weight sounds very light for pike fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t worry too much, don’t think you’ll go fluking big carp! I find my 15-40g spinning rods fine for fish from about a pound to upper doubles so I would say 12-35g would cover fish from 1-15lb.

Itsdrew93

Hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but the rod you have is already a compromise, even for lure fishing. Bottom line is, if it has enough backbone to sucessfully (and safely) handle bigger pike, it will be massively overpowered for perch (particularly when you consider that most perch caught will be weighed in ounces rather than pounds). Conversely, if the rod is light enough to enjoy perch fishing, its no-where near substantial enough for pike ........

IF the rod is up to the job of safely landing large pike, you might get away with a carp in excess of 30lbs, but TBH, in pretty much any water in the country, catching a carp of that size would be a considerable, careful achievement, rather than an accidental catch, so personally, I wouldnt worry about it.
Bear in mind also that if you are using line / braid heavy enough to be safe for pike (or light enough to make perch fishing productive), neither are likely to be even close for what you may beed for really big carp.
I agree with Philocalist. You are not likely to catch a 30lb carp by accident. We would need to know a lot more about your rod but that casting weight sounds very light for pike fishing.
Thank you

CarpCatcher86

This is the very reason I have a light and heavy spinning rod. Not for the carp of course.
My light rod will cast 7-21g and my heavy rod will handle 20-56g.