Pike and Perch. Circle Hooks for deadbaits.

Truly

Site Supporter
I have only just become aware of circle hooks, so been reading quite a lot on the benefits for pike and perch fishing with deadbaits.

I find the prospect of less damage to the fish and similarly less chance of sticking a single hook in my hand, attractive.

I have all the right tools for removing trebles and know the proper method but have still had the occasional problem including one lively jack doing a vigorous wriggle and sticking a hook in my hand. o_O Got the hooks out of the jack ok but my hand, erm....... good job I carry a first aid kit.:oops::(

Do any members currently use circle hooks ? If so I would appreciate your experience and advice on how to rig them.

I have been fishing a pair of trebles with sardines for bait. We also have some large perch, that I thought I may try with smaller whitebait ?

What size of circle hook would you recommend for pike/sardine and perch/whitebait ?

DFL

Site Supporter
I'm a complete novice when it comes to pike fishing and have to say I don't have the greatest confidence in the handling and unhooking of pike. For that reason I use circle hooks and have found them incredibly easy to unhook a fish, the hook seems to always be in the scissors of the mouth and with a large pair of forceps I can remove to hook with the fish in the net requiring minimal or no handling at all. I haven't done enough or caught enough pike to say whether the hook up rate is better or worse than using a treble, but that's an option I won't consider.

it was this guys video that put me onto them and I also use the Cannelle Wondertress that he speaks of in the video.

Truly

Site Supporter
Thanks DFL. I too had watched the video that you posted (y) . There are several on Youtube where pike are actually being caught using a single circle hook and deadbait.
I know we have some experienced pike anglers on here, so hoping we may get some 'real world' experience and advice.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
As one of said experienced pike anglers, I'd go with a 'they aren't for me'. I decided to give them a try this year and my observations are this:

1) I couldn't get anything like my normal hook-up rate. I put this down to being not used to them, but even after persevering, I was missing far more runs than I would on a standard set up with 2 trebles.

2) I'm not sold on the less damage to the fish argument either. On one small jack (this was the end for me), the hook point was so close to the eye it was uncomfortable. Hooking in the scissors - I'm not sure that this soft area is better than in the bony plates of the mouth for the fish - perhaps moreso for the angler.

I very rarely have a problem fishing trebles, and even when I do, it's easily remedied with proper unhooking equipment. Circle hooks were made for fish that engulf a bait. Pike don't always swallow a bait, they'll swim about holding it. With trebles you don't hook a pike till it opens its mouth to eject it, no matter how hard you pull into it, whereas circle hooks require a bait to be swallowed to work. If it is swimming towards you when you wind in you'll just pull it straight out its mouth. If you get a pick up in a snaggy weedy swim how far do you let it swim before winding down?

I'm more than happy for someone to put a counter-argument to this, but I feel I've had my experiment, and I've reached a conclusion.

squimp

Site Supporter
I’m with Yuccaman.

Ive used them abroad for slow trolling etc and they work brilliantly, but I haven’t used them for pike. That is primarily because I know numbers of very experienced pikers who have tried them and then gone back to the old way.....

I do know one very competent eel angler who uses them successfully - but that probably reflects the fact that eels have a high propensity to swallow baits quickly.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I could see them working for perch as their mouths and the way they feed is not dissimilar to fish like grouper that they were mostly designed for but they don’t look right to me for pike. A more semi circle pattern would probably work though as I’ve found that they’ll work for most types of mouths and feeding styles.

John Step

Site Supporter
Most of my fishing in winters is for pike. I have tried circles. I dont like the hook up rate. I dont have trouble with deep hooking or unhooking with trebles.
What I do more frequently now is use a combination of large single and treble when deadbaiting.

The large single uppermost through the tail and the treble lower down as normal.
The reason is that I will often turn the bait round if things are slow and twitch the bait a little like sink and draw but slower and with more frequent casting the bait lasts longer.