Pike (absolute No idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Hi all,
I need alot of info on pike i have only caught one pike at 3lb by fluke on worm.
well on Sun im off and i need ANYTHING on piking (eg. Lureing , Spinning , Live bait)
there are no bans on my canal

Regards
Gf

Regards Gf
[h6]Take me toThe Maggotdrowners[/h6]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Firstly Pike are a very delicate fish and WILL NOT withstand mishandling.
Do you have the following, an unhooking mat, long forceps minimum 8inches preferably 12inch, wire cutters to cut any hooks.
A wire trace is a must whether spinning or live/deadbaiting. Nylon can be bitten through leading to lost fish. If live/deadbaiting strike at the earliest indication to avoid deep hooking.
I would advise against using two rods unless a buzzer is used on the second rod.
As a very general rule!! deadbaits produce bigger fish lives smaller fish spinning again tends to produce smaller pike ( Wow what a statement to make I am hiding awaiting the flak) (Please re read before replying I did say a very general rule and yes there are many exceptions).As to bait spratts are cheap and freely available the down side to them is that they are soft and do not stand up well to long casts unless used from frozen. John

chill out go fishing

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
A couple of question type questions since I don't know pike except from reading. As in, these are real questions rather than any sort of wind-up.

1. Why the wire trace with a lure? If the fish has the lure, I don't see how it would get to the line. If it gets the line first, I don't see how the lure would stay with it. Especially if using a lure with a single hook.

2. Do you get larger pike if using larger lures? For instance, you can get soft plastics in lengths up to 12-13 inches. They don't catch as many fish over here but the ones you do get tend to be larger. Likewise the larger jigs with the huge skirts and a large trailer added to give a huge shape in the water.

3. For a group of anglers that are so careful with most of their fish and so "fish friendly" why the continued use of treble hooks?

I prefer lures with large singles if possible or if I get one that needs multi-hooks, I cut off one of the three prongs and crush down the barbs on the remaining 2. Never a problem to unhook.

For bait work, lives or deads, why don't you folks use a circle or kahle pattern which should give you about the same hook-up percentage as a treble if not better and are lots easier to deal with. Especially since they rarely deep-hook a fish even if they are swollowed. They pretty much pop right back out until they find the lip.

4. If there are both pike and catfish in a water, what sort of trace do you use? Wire is good to keep the pike from biting thru your line but will do horrible damage to a catfish's mouth.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 05 March 2002 04:55:02 AM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi GF, you have an email

Newt I can help you with a couple of answers:
1 & 4) The reason why we use wire traces with lures is due to the wide gape of a pike's mouth and the razor sharpness of their teeth (as Zippy will vouch, lol)
Even with a tight line a pike still has the opportunity to catch the line with its mouth when resisting so its best to be on the safe side.
Cats in this neck of the woods tend to be mainly caught to deadbaits or even boilies and traces are not usually used to my knowledge unless there is a risk of a pike coming along.

2) The use of lures in excess of 6 inch in the UK is rare and pike will take a lure or bait regardless of size. Its amazing to see a small Jack of 1lb or less trying to grab a bait half its size.

3) Most trebles that are used these days tend to be of the barbless variety. We occassionally use a semi-barbed which has 2 prongs barbless and one barbed. This one is used for holding into a bait.
I've not heard of circle or kahle patterns so I can't comment on them

Hope this explains a bit, Dave

GF- As a bit of a side, in the next couple of weeks I may be going back to CastleHoward for a final end of season fling, if you want to come let me know and we'll sort something out.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Thanks Dave.

The sea guys have been using circle hooks just this side of forever. By design, they will slide over a large object (rock, log, etc.) but will roll into and hook smaller objects like a small stick or the ridge of a fishes lip. You never use a tradtional hook set but just a slow pressure which should cause the hook to dig in at the lip. Deeper, they don't usually find the sort of structure that causes them to hook. I was turned on to them by a UK angler and found that our sunfish (similar habits to perch) would rarely deep hook with this pattern. #8 works well for the sunfish over here. Up to 6/0 for large catfish. I think the sea guys go even larger.

Kahle is a variation. Somewhat similar shape but with a flattened area between point and shank. Great for holding a bait so it won't get in the way of a hook set. Also not prone to deep hook but the lip hook is a little further back on the lip.

Here are pictures of typical examples of each.

Circle

Kahle

Newt Vail

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Newt as an example while fishing a 3inch copper spoon I hooked my best lure caught pike all 18lb 2oz., of her. When I came to unhook her the spoon was that far down to be almost invisible. A pair of 8inch forceps wouldnt reach. The next day I invesred in a pair of 12 inch forceps as well as restocking the supply of plasters I always carry.
Most clubs or governing bodies have rules that state wire traces MUST be used. John

chill out go fishing

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
20 - I agree that wire with pike is an excellent idea - at least until someone invents a non-wire trace that is tooth-proof.

If you still need plasters with those 12" jobbies, maybe you need to get some seriously bigguns.

Newt Vail

martin.

Account Locked
hi
firstly ide like to say that one of the biggest pike to come out of north level last seasonwas 32lb 4ozs this came on a 7ins long wobbling plug .
secondly when im drifting a deabait under a float using up to a 4oz deadbait ill use a hook that i first found in scotland when on holiday . i dont know what it is called but i believe salmon fishermen use it a lot instead of 1 or 3 pionts it has 2 , 1 small side which has a barb which i use to mount the bait & 1 larger (probably twice the size)which is barbless .
I also use this if im freelining a deadbait.

tight lines.
martin.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Martin
I'm looking for a source of supply for those hooks.
I believe they are called Vic Bellars hooks, named after an inventor , or a manufacturer and are mostly Game fishing hooks

Cheers mate, get together very soon

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Trev/Martin The hooks you are refering to are the Vic Bellars 'VB' double hook. There are 2 hooks 1 smaller than the other brazed back to back both hooks being barbed if memory serves.Only 2 sizes were available 8's & 6's this being the size of the bigger hook. These hooks were designed for pike fishing. There is/was another type available (Think it might be Drennen) havent seen or used these but was told that the 2 hooks were of the same size.
One problem that can arise with these is the tendancy for them to lie flat on the bait. Which May and I say may cause missed runs. I am due to go to the shop where I think I got these so if you are still interested I will make enquires and find out if they are still available. John

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Great John!
Will be in touch over these shortly

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Trev/Martin, I checked out the tackle shop and heres the info.
VB doubles manufactured by Partidge in sizes 4, 6, 8, and 10's. Sold in packs of ten for 5.41.
The shop ass. seems to think that these may be old stock so although they have quite a few packets in all those sizes. I couldnt determine if they are still available.
Hope this helps if you do want any let me know and I will get them for you at cost + postage. John

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
One of each of sze 6s and 8s please John.

Try for a discount if they're OLD stock LO,
Cheers,
Trev

Ziptrev

Status
Not open for further replies.