Pickering North Yorkshire

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Hi guys, my eldest daughter works for the National Trustb but is thinking about changing jobs, but staying within the same sphere. She has seen a job which could be a possibility, its in Pickering, North Yorkshire.
Just wondering if we have any maggotdrowners on here who live, or used to live in Pickering? And wondering what your thoughts are about the town. I know l can and will do some research online, but its good to get to know things from people who actually know the place. Ie the good, the bad and the ugly. Warts n all. Is it a safe place to live etc.
Cheers for any info.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi guys, my eldest daughter works for the National Trustb but is thinking about changing jobs, but staying within the same sphere. She has seen a job which could be a possibility, its in Pickering, North Yorkshire.
Just wondering if we have any maggotdrowners on here who live, or used to live in Pickering? And wondering what your thoughts are about the town. I know l can and will do some research online, but its good to get to know things from people who actually know the place. Ie the good, the bad and the ugly. Warts n all. Is it a safe place to live etc.
Cheers for any info.
Its a lovely place ,i live in Scarborough but have been there many times ,very pretty place . The only downside is they get the worst of winter ,can be in snow and Scarborough clear . Shops are few but ok . I would reccomend the place ,plus you would be close to Scarborough, Whitby ,Bridlington, Thirsk,York ect ,plenty of lovely places.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Its a lovely place ,i live in Scarborough but have been there many times ,very pretty place . The only downside is they get the worst of winter ,can be in snow and Scarborough clear . Shops are few but ok . I would reccomend the place ,plus you would be close to Scarborough, Whitby ,Bridlington, Thirsk,York ect ,plenty of lovely places.
Cheers mate, much appreciated.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Its a knockout ??????? just kiddin that i know lol

Open main menu

Search

Eddie Waring​

Learn more

This article's lead section may be too short to adequately summarize its key points.
Edward Marsden Waring, MBE (21 February 1910 – 28 October 1986) was a British rugby league football coach, commentator and television presenter.

Early life​

Early careerEdit​

Learn more

This section needs expansion with: Life before his career.
Waring was never a noted rugby league player; he was more proficient at association football, and had trials with Nottingham Forest and Barnsley.[2] He began work as a typewriter salesman in his home town of Dewsbury, but he gave up that career to join a local newspaper and report on rugby league matches.
Alongside his fledgling journalism career he ran the local Dewsbury Boys Rugby League Club, renaming them the Black Knights (this foreshadowed how Super League clubs were branded some 60 years later). During the Second World War Waring managed Dewsbury RLFC as he was exempted from armed service with an ear condition. Recruiting men from a nearby military camp, he led the club to its second Challenge Cup victory in 1943 - the club's last ever success in the competition.
Waring travelled on HMS Indomitable with the Great Britain national rugby league team on the first post-war tour of Australia. Returning home via the United States, he met Bob Hope, who alerted him to the success of televised sport. This is believed to have convinced him that television would be crucial for rugby league's long-term success. In the UK, he pushed this case harder with the BBC, having written to them as far back as 1931. After several rejections, he was given a chance as a broadcaster when the BBC began to cover the sport.

Broadcasting style​

Celebrity appearancesEdit​

Waring branched out, appearing as a presenter on the television series It's a Knockout, and as the UK's representative on the international umpiring team for the European version of the show, Jeux Sans Frontieres, where his striped blazer made him easy to spot.
He also made guest appearances in the popular TV comedy programmes The Morecambe and Wise Show and The Goodies.

Decline and retirement​

Death​

Notes​

References​

Bibliography​

Further reading​

External links​

Last edited 29 days ago by Cloptonson

RELATED ARTICLES​

wikipedia-wordmark-en.svg

Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Nice little market town - couple of small supermarkets and a decent chippy in the town centre.
Plenty of benches down by the beck to munch said chips and feed the ducks.

Can be a nightmare traffic wise in the summer - there's only three roads into Scarborough and the A170 through Pickering is the busiest. I used to drive from Northallerton to Scarborough on a weekly basis and although it's a nice, fast A road overtaking opportunities are few and on the best ones North Yorkshire police generally position a speed trap.
Normally just past Helmsley you'll find yourself at the back of a long snaking queue of cars doing perhaps 30mph - not as you might expect due to a tractor but due to some white-haired old biddy in a Nissan Micra engaged in animated conversation with her equally wizened passenger.
As you get closer it seems that she may be suffering from rigor mortis of her right foot as it never moves - so on downhill sections you might whizz along at 45mph but come to an uphill bit and the speed will drop to 25:mad:

Used to be a very popular fishing spot in the town 'Pickering Trout Farm' (now a car-park:cry:) - all fishermen from North Yorkshire of a certain age will have visited it at least once - fun fishing for suicidal rainbows. One lake was catch and return fly only, the other was for bait fishing and all fish had to be knocked on the head and paid for by the pound - barbless hooks strictly prohibited. We used to see just what we could catch the trout with - strawberry chewits, toffos and rolos seemed to account for the larger ones.

Lots of other small towns to visit - Malton, Kirbymoorside, Helmsley and of course Whitby and Scarborough - all within 30 minutes or so.

Eden Camp is worth a visit Award Winning Visitor Attraction, Malton, North Yorkshire - Eden Camp
and Castle Howard is always popular with the ladies Castle Howard - A Place Like No Other - A place like no other

Fishing wise there's a number of small ponds in the area plus Wykeham which is a good deal larger
River Derwent isn't far away, although I'm not sure if there's much day-ticket availability.

There's a lot of worse places in North Yorkshire - in fact the only real drawback is there does seem to be a lot of old people doddering about - I think coach-loads of 'em get bussed in every day across the summer.

Simon

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Nice little market town - couple of small supermarkets and a decent chippy in the town centre.
Plenty of benches down by the beck to munch said chips and feed the ducks.

Can be a nightmare traffic wise in the summer - there's only three roads into Scarborough and the A170 through Pickering is the busiest. I used to drive from Northallerton to Scarborough on a weekly basis and although it's a nice, fast A road overtaking opportunities are few and on the best ones North Yorkshire police generally position a speed trap.
Normally just past Helmsley you'll find yourself at the back of a long snaking queue of cars doing perhaps 30mph - not as you might expect due to a tractor but due to some white-haired old biddy in a Nissan Micra engaged in animated conversation with her equally wizened passenger.
As you get closer it seems that she may be suffering from rigor mortis of her right foot as it never moves - so on downhill sections you might whizz along at 45mph but come to an uphill bit and the speed will drop to 25:mad:

Used to be a very popular fishing spot in the town 'Pickering Trout Farm' (now a car-park:cry:) - all fishermen from North Yorkshire of a certain age will have visited it at least once - fun fishing for suicidal rainbows. One lake was catch and return fly only, the other was for bait fishing and all fish had to be knocked on the head and paid for by the pound - barbless hooks strictly prohibited. We used to see just what we could catch the trout with - strawberry chewits, toffos and rolos seemed to account for the larger ones.

Lots of other small towns to visit - Malton, Kirbymoorside, Helmsley and of course Whitby and Scarborough - all within 30 minutes or so.

Eden Camp is worth a visit Award Winning Visitor Attraction, Malton, North Yorkshire - Eden Camp
and Castle Howard is always popular with the ladies Castle Howard - A Place Like No Other - A place like no other

Fishing wise there's a number of small ponds in the area plus Wykeham which is a good deal larger
River Derwent isn't far away, although I'm not sure if there's much day-ticket availability.

There's a lot of worse places in North Yorkshire - in fact the only real drawback is there does seem to be a lot of old people doddering about - I think coach-loads of 'em get bussed in every day across the summer.

Simon
Cheers Simon 👍

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I lived and worked there 35+ years ago for 5 months, on Birdgate.
Great place but busy in summer with tourists passing through as it's on the main road to Whitby, Flamingo Land, North Yorkshire Railway, and general visitors.
A couple of decent pubs and a cracking butchers that used to make their own pies :)

The biggest problem she will have is getting affordable accommodation as a lot of the lets are holiday lets so attract a premium.

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
I live in Malton which is only 7 miles away but go to Pickering couple of supermarkets coop and lidl some nice little independent shops Dalby Forest and Thornton dale just a few miles away. Flamingoland is only a couple of miles away also,
As others have said handy for York,Scarborough,Whitby,Malton Helmsley,Thirsk, and Northallerton.
The crime and theft rate is very low and the locals are friendly.
The only down side is it can get congested with traffic in summer heading to the coast and moors.
I hope this helps you a little.