Phone upgrades vs new contracts

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The missus wants a new phone, in particular, the Samsung Galaxy S10 and I've been looking at the costs involved. What is the difference between 'upgrading' and 'a new contract' ?

The costs quoted for an upgrade are higher than that of a new contract. I thought it would be the other way round

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
A contract is suppose to include the cost of the phone and after the length of the contract the tariff is supposed to be reduced.
Upgrades are an excuse to get you into another contract. So maybe the upgrade is available after 18mth of a 24 mth contract. They’ll hide the remaining 6mth in the upgrade cost.
I stopped doing contracts over 10yr ago. I bought a sim unlimited everything for £10 a month and now just buy a new phone when old one broken.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The deals with a contract for the S10 are about the same as buying one outright unless you go on the bay of E but then again I wouldn't trust the majority of the sellers as there are quite a few refurbished ones about

Total

Site Supporter
Dry nets is right it all he says Dave....My Mrs, phones is her 'thing' etc.....As long as she's happy, I'm happy....'Nuff said.;).....And I get some cracking hand me down phones! :ROFLMAO:

jods

Site Supporter
Always worth finding a plan with a different network provider you are happy with, then ring your current provider and tell them you are leaving and the reason why. Usually you will get transfered through to retentions who have more power to negotiate a better deal, if they cannot match it just leave. It's really easy to transfer your number now takes 24 hours at most.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I see an ad for some sooper dooper all singing an dancing phone on the telly

you get some "free" sorta gaming console with it

just caught the small print on the ad, stated the cost was £1008 !!!!! over the HP contract

all I could think was Kin Ell !

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just done the doings @jods with them but on O2
Best deal on O2 I could find, better than Carphone Wharehouse and they're the same company, and beat O2 direct hands down

62tucker

Site Supporter
Sim only for me from now on. I get hand me down from my kids when they get new ones.
4g signal and can watch live football on the bank.

shang

Wait until a contract has expired and you have a stronger bargaining point.
I got nearly 3 X the data and paid less per month by suggesting I'd be better off going sim only and buying the phone elsewhere.
This was with 3

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Sim only here as well, and the wife. Look at some of the Chinese phones, make Samsung and apple look massivley overpriced (well, we know they are anyway). Had my Doogee for a couple of years, better than my old iphone.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
O2 do lots of discounts for service folk, nurses , teacher etc. You have to ask for it but i upgraded to the s10 plus for £13 less than i was paying.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Upgrades seem to be more expensive.
I assume as some people prefer the same network.
I have in the past moved my phone number to a pay as you go with a different provider.
Then taken a new contract on the old network.
As soon as my contract is up I move to a monthly sim only till my phone no longer works.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's what I do Paul, take a sim only but keep the number, until the phone dies on me.
My wife's phone is an S6 and it's battery doesn't last long, plus she's been badgering me for a new phone for a while so was time to bite the bullet.

'Me and my lad' - O2 offered 25% off the airtime tariff but the costs was still massively dearer than mobiles.co.uk and a 3year contract compared to mobile's 2 year deal . £1466.12 over three years compared to £840 over two and with a better package.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Contracts went above the usual 12mth when people became obsessed with iPhone. The first ones didn’t get replaced by a new model every 12mth and people kept them as they liked them . Then along cake a new iPhone and due to the cost and demand came 24mth contracts and now due to cost 36mth contracts. Phones lose value quicker than a car. Just wait 12mth and save 50%

BTMS

Site Supporter
Dave have a look at BT family bundle Its so cheap, and being a Scotsman...………..;)

Somersetlad

Find out how many minutes and how much data is actually being used each month,then choose an appropiate plan. IMO outright purchase of the phone and sim only or payg is the cheapest option, and don't buy the latest model. I currently pay £7 /month with Tesco, with a "B" grade iphone 5 that cost £160, no way would I spend £420 a year.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I deal with EE direct and have always had a much better deal than the stores give, I currently have an S10 and am paying £27 per month for unlimited calls/texts and 4GB of data....as an aside I am not a big fan of the S10, it's my 1st samsung phone and there is far to much samsung rubbish on it and it sometimes tries to be to clever and you end up doing something you were not trying to do, I don't find the menu's very intuative and features seem to be tucked away in sub menus. Kathy has a Hauwei P30 pro which is a far better phone than the S10