Phoenix Lake, FloatFish Farm, Peterborough

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Yet another new venue for me, a long strip lake with an island running the length of it. Feeder chuck of about 25 yards to the island, depths of about 8foot in the deepest section shallowing to margins of 2ft ish. Stocked with (according to the website) common and mirror carp to 6lb, ide to 2 lb, barbel and selected silvers.

20 anglers, 34 pegs, so plenty of space. I drew peg 11, which was a corner peg. Wind was off my back and slightly left to right, quite light but would prove to be gusty later in the day. Parking directly behind the peg.

Set up the new box as close to the edge as I could get( no platforms, just earth banks), and got myself sorted. I’ve managed to get my setup time down to about 45 minutes if it’s a lake I’ve fished before and know what my rough plan is going to be, but as it was my first trip here I was setting up my topkits from scratch, and a feeder rod etc, so I was glad of the additional time I would have to set up.

Clipped up a yard or two short of the island, and plumbed up a 13 m pole line and a 8m line (top tip from a mate who’s fished it before, bottom of shelf etc). Both on the same rig as identical depth, 0.8g Nick Gilbert float, 2inches over depth, .15 mainline to .13 SWG.

Bait tray was micros and Groundbait for the feeder, Groundbait and maggot for the pole lines, and 4/6mm pellet as a third option, although based on the info I had maggot was the main bait to catch everything.

This was confirmed when I had a chat to the bloke a couple of pegs down, who turned out to be sponsored by Sensas and a regular contributor to the national angling press. I explained my novice status and he looked at my bait tray, asked me what lines I had set up and what I was targeting, and said I was on the right track👍 He also said he was expecting a weight of 65lb to be there or thereabouts, based on recent match results.

At the all in I fed the pole lines and chucked the feeder across, which produced the grand total of 1 line bite in 5 chucks and 20 minutes.

Went onto the pole line at 8m, and pretty much stayed there for the next 5 1/2 hours. Fish came in spurts of 3 or 4 at a time, I soon worked out that I would need to feed regularly to keep them there. After a few tweaks I settled on a ball of Groundbait and a big handful of reds after every 4th fish, and a medium cad pot of maggots after every fish. The time between bites varied from 30 seconds to 10 minutes, and if I didn’t feed the bites disappeared.

The net was a mixture of roach, ide, common and mirror carp and a single barbel, so a decent mixed bag. Nothing bigger than 5lb but quite a few in the 4-5lb range.

Throughout the match I was pretty much in a world of my own, the light conditions weren’t great and with the ripple seeing the dotted down float was tricky at times. The bites ranged from tiny dips of the float to lift bites and some absolutely clunking bites. I could see the two anglers to my right, but all the anglers opposite were obscured by the island, and the anglers to my left were slightly set back so difficult to see. When I did look round, the Sensas bloke always seemed to be playing a fish, and the bloke in the next peg to me seemed to have a couple of good runs of fish, with some quiet spells in between.

By the end I had 60lb on the clicker, so pretty close to the 65lb target I was told would be needed. The scales started around the corner, so I would be last but 3 to weigh in. By the time I’d packed everything into the car the scales were 3 pegs away so I wandered down to see what was going on.

Leading was 65lb at that point. Sensas bloke weighed in 57lb, and the guy next to me put 47lb on the scale.

Net limits were 50lb, I’d started a second net with 40lb on the clicker with 2hours to go. This second net weighed in at 23lb 8lb, which with the first net of 47lb 4oz gave me a total of 70lb 12oz. Some quick maths meant I worked out I was pretty much guaranteed a frame as I was sure I had more than the bloke immediately to my right. I put my keepnet in the car and followed the scales round.

Last but one to weigh was a bloke who wins a disproportionate amount of these matches, a very good angler that just never seems to have a bad day, regardless of draw. He put 94lb on the scales to take first place. The last peg to weigh in had 58lb for fourth place, so I secured the runner up spot and a nice little brown envelope.

Another great day for me in my fledgling match fishing escapades, and one that I celebrated with a few cans of fruit cider and a cheeky bottle of Pinot noir whilst watching the NFL last night.

Next stop is the MD teams of 4 on Saturday at the Glebe, looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading👍👍👍

Stewie

ev4dawin

This is the lake that I would really like fish when I go up to my grandparents, and it's good to see a report on it. Was it mainly carp that you were catching or was it a mix?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
This is the lake that I would really like fish when I go up to my grandparents, and it's good to see a report on it. Was it mainly carp that you were catching or was it a mix?
The net was a mixture of roach, ide, common and mirror carp and a single barbel, so a decent mixed bag. Nothing bigger than 5lb but quite a few in the 4-5lb range.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yet another new venue for me, a long strip lake with an island running the length of it. Feeder chuck of about 25 yards to the island, depths of about 8foot in the deepest section shallowing to margins of 2ft ish. Stocked with (according to the website) common and mirror carp to 6lb, ide to 2 lb, barbel and selected silvers.

20 anglers, 34 pegs, so plenty of space. I drew peg 11, which was a corner peg. Wind was off my back and slightly left to right, quite light but would prove to be gusty later in the day. Parking directly behind the peg.

Set up the new box as close to the edge as I could get( no platforms, just earth banks), and got myself sorted. I’ve managed to get my setup time down to about 45 minutes if it’s a lake I’ve fished before and know what my rough plan is going to be, but as it was my first trip here I was setting up my topkits from scratch, and a feeder rod etc, so I was glad of the additional time I would have to set up.

Clipped up a yard or two short of the island, and plumbed up a 13 m pole line and a 8m line (top tip from a mate who’s fished it before, bottom of shelf etc). Both on the same rig as identical depth, 0.8g Nick Gilbert float, 2inches over depth, .15 mainline to .13 SWG.

Bait tray was micros and Groundbait for the feeder, Groundbait and maggot for the pole lines, and 4/6mm pellet as a third option, although based on the info I had maggot was the main bait to catch everything.

This was confirmed when I had a chat to the bloke a couple of pegs down, who turned out to be sponsored by Sensas and a regular contributor to the national angling press. I explained my novice status and he looked at my bait tray, asked me what lines I had set up and what I was targeting, and said I was on the right track👍 He also said he was expecting a weight of 65lb to be there or thereabouts, based on recent match results.

At the all in I fed the pole lines and chucked the feeder across, which produced the grand total of 1 line bite in 5 chucks and 20 minutes.

Went onto the pole line at 8m, and pretty much stayed there for the next 5 1/2 hours. Fish came in spurts of 3 or 4 at a time, I soon worked out that I would need to feed regularly to keep them there. After a few tweaks I settled on a ball of Groundbait and a big handful of reds after every 4th fish, and a medium cad pot of maggots after every fish. The time between bites varied from 30 seconds to 10 minutes, and if I didn’t feed the bites disappeared.

Throughout the match I was pretty much in a world of my own, the light conditions weren’t great and with the ripple seeing the dotted down float was tricky at times. The bites ranged from tiny dips of the float to lift bites and some absolutely clunking bites. I could see the two anglers to my right, but all the anglers opposite were obscured by the island, and the anglers to my left were slightly set back so difficult to see. When I did look round, the Sensas bloke always seemed to be playing a fish, and the bloke in the next peg to me seemed to have a couple of good runs of fish, with some quiet spells in between.

By the end I had 60lb on the clicker, so pretty close to the 65lb target I was told would be needed. The scales started around the corner, so I would be last but 3 to weigh in. By the time I’d packed everything into the car the scales were 3 pegs away so I wandered down to see what was going on.

Leading was 65lb at that point. Sensas bloke weighed in 57lb, and the guy next to me put 47lb on the scale.

Net limits were 50lb, I’d started a second net with 40lb on the clicker with 2hours to go. This second net weighed in at 23lb 8lb, which with the first net of 47lb 4oz gave me a total of 70lb 12oz. Some quick maths meant I worked out I was pretty much guaranteed a frame as I was sure I had more than the bloke immediately to my right. I put my keepnet in the car and followed the scales round.

Last but one to weigh was a bloke who wins a disproportionate amount of these matches, a very good angler that just never seems to have a bad day, regardless of draw. He put 94lb on the scales to take first place. The last peg to weigh in had 58lb for fourth place, so I secured the runner up spot and a nice little brown envelope.

Another great day for me in my fledgling match fishing escapades, and one that I celebrated with a few cans of fruit cider and a cheeky bottle of Pinot noir whilst watching the NFL last night.

Next stop is the MD teams of 4 on Saturday at the Glebe, looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading👍👍👍

Stewie
Awesome stewie, top boy you are 👍👍💪💪