PGA vs LIV

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I see Poulter and Mickelson are taking the PGA to court over their PGA bans...
Bloody good job...
I know its all dependent on the contents of their contract, but why shouldn't players play in the LIV matches...? Especially if tour dates don't clash... it smacks of the PGA throwing the teddies out of the pram at the thought of some competition.
Also the PGA have banned some players who have signed up to play the LIV series but not others... so are Mickleson and Poulter being victimised... or are there other circumstances...?

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
11 of them in total making a case.

Thing is the PGA Tour started off as a breakaway itself so its kinda taking the proverbial to get upset about LIV being a breakaway and their members joining.

Things change, new competition and disruption is a good thing but PGA want to keep a monopoly, all players who have joined LIV are banned from PGA, the open was a exception but going forward they are all banned so not just them.

Also interesting going through LIV on LinkedIn and seeing where all the people are coming from, its not just the players jumping ship

The only thing is we do not know what is written into the contracts, if teh contract was fully binding then no one would have left, or they revoke their membership to PGA as some of the players have done. Its the players who want to play LIV and PGA which are the ones who are suspended and some are taking action

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
also the PGA sent a memo out in response

1659599486969.png

FadingLikeDecay

Though not exactly the same, it feels a bit like the PDC vs the BDO. Clearly the LIV players don't care at all about the Saudi's bad rep from Human Rights, Khashoggi murder etc... , I think it was Graeme McDowell who openly said it was only about money. I can't see the PGA winning out on this TBH, LIV isn't simply going to go away. The BDO became an absolute joke when the PDC was firmly established with players using it as springboard over to the PDC; I still laugh remembering Tony Green talking out of his rear end on the BBC commentary during every BDO World Darts Championship at the Lakeside, when he would highlight how amazing the players averages each year (which was usually about 95 and below) and being the best in the world, yet in the PDC it was players were scoring 100.00 and above. The refusal to accept and acknowledge the PDC was probably a significant part of its demise. I don't think the PGA Tour will go that way but it players continually move over from it to LIV, it can reasonably be claimed as the best golf tour. Methinks a compromise will be reached with the PGA Tour having to eat humble pie, whether they like it or not.

Arry

Site Supporter
Though not exactly the same, it feels a bit like the PDC vs the BDO. Clearly the LIV players don't care at all about the Saudi's bad rep from Human Rights, Khashoggi murder etc... , I think it was Graeme McDowell who openly said it was only about money. I can't see the PGA winning out on this TBH, LIV isn't simply going to go away. The BDO became an absolute joke when the PDC was firmly established with players using it as springboard over to the PDC; I still laugh remembering Tony Green talking out of his rear end on the BBC commentary during every BDO World Darts Championship at the Lakeside, when he would highlight how amazing the players averages each year (which was usually about 95 and below) and being the best in the world, yet in the PDC it was easily 100.00 and above. The refusal to accept and acknowledge the PDC was probably a significant part of its demise. I don't think the PGA Tour will go that way but it players continually move over from it to LIV, it can reasonably be claimed as the best golf tour. Methinks a compromise will be reached with the PGA Tour having to eat humble pie, whether they like it or not.
This is the conclusion I've drawn... for years the PGA have had no competition, now there is a rival in the neighbourhood they are are kicking off... if the the LIV and PGA tours don't clash there has to be some common ground... otherwise its just the PGA being arsey about players competing elsewhere... smacks of the PGA acting like spoiled brats

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
its exactly like the BDO v PDC - BDO banned players, stopped them playing county or country darts thinking it would force them to return and look at it now! PDC and WDF thriving and BDO now a dissolved entity.

Things change and nothing wrong with people competing for more money, in any sport

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
even if the tournie dates do clash, what is the issue? people will go and watch the tournie they want to see. its nice if the dates do not clash then they should be able to play together, same as the DP tour (or whatever its called now)

Arry

Site Supporter
Yup... I really hope the the PGA get their come-uppance over this... On the face of it they are behaving like spoilt kids because someone else has got a game and they weren't asked about it.. As for their "attempted cencorship" of DeChambeau, they are so far out or order inasmuch as they have censured him for talking about the LIV tour but have stopped short of accusing him of "Tapping up" other players... If I was DeChambeau I'd be consulting a lawyer...

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Get the 2 organisations to set the dates of their tournaments to clash, so the players can choose where to play.

davylad

Site Supporter
Tony Green has always been full of s**t, he played in our team for a couple of years. We were very successful at the time, but he was usually marking the board every other week.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I don't play golf but I like watching the opens. What makes me smile though, is when the winner of the Master's thanks the president for kindly letting him play on the course.....🤮 It's as if the people who run golf are the gods and the players kowtow to this..🤮🤮

FadingLikeDecay

Tony Green has always been full of s**t, he played in our team for a couple of years. We were very successful at the time, but he was usually marking the board every other week.
As I’ve started getting back into darts again, I was watching the BDO finals in 2000 and 2009 when Ted Hankey won, and Tony would often remark “Great pal of mine is Ted”. I wonder if he still says that these days :unsure:😂

davylad

Site Supporter
Most of the players that have switched, have enough money to last more than a couple of lifetimes. On the other hand, when offered the massive amounts they're getting, can you blame them?

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Most of the players that have switched, have enough money to last more than a couple of lifetimes. On the other hand, when offered the massive amounts they're getting, can you blame them?
Plus 3 rounds a week not 4, when you’re getting older or carrying injuries. Tiger?.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Ban them all, in fact ban golf itself.
Golf, a game played by men who cannot get their balls in a real hole and only get their balls wet when miss hit into a wasted water feature.