Peterborough - "free fishing"?

JarvJarv

Hi all I am spending quite a bit of time in the Peterborough, Cambs. area at the moment and wonder if anyone could guide me to any free fishing in the centre and/or surrounding area. I have walked a bit of the River (actually from Whittlesey to Castor) but not totally sure who owns what. I did do some Peterborough DAA fishing for the day but just looking for something free if ever a couple of hours to spare. Happy to fish for anything.. but heard also a few Zander about? Never caught one so would be happy with even a tiddler!

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Hi all I am spending quite a bit of time in the Peterborough, Cambs. area at the moment and wonder if anyone could guide me to any free fishing in the centre and/or surrounding area. I have walked a bit of the River (actually from Whittlesey to Castor) but not totally sure who owns what. I did do some Peterborough DAA fishing for the day but just looking for something free if ever a couple of hours to spare. Happy to fish for anything.. but heard also a few Zander about? Never caught one so would be happy with even a tiddler

Try here perhaps.

John Step

Site Supporter
Last time I fished there it was at a place downstream of Peterborough called The North Bank. Quite a bit of river with no obvious signage and no came to collect day ticket money. The stretch ended at the big lock gates which from memory was the tidal limit.
Just by the lock gates the grass verge was wider for parking.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The North Bank is Peterborough DAA. For free fishing for bream try the stretch above the main bridge - entrance through the car park. The tidal stretch is free from Dog In A Doublet downstream.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Just remember anything thats free has it own problems, like people from every social aspect.?:eek::eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Keep that f--king dog away from my groundbait!:eek::eek:

JarvJarv

Just remember anything thats free has it own problems, like people from every social aspect.?:eek::eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Keep that f--king dog away from my groundbait!:eek::eek:
Thanks all for the info so far... I have had a walk down the river and aware that I might have to deal with some "characters".....!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Just a couple of miles outside Peterborough You have two good commercial fisheries. Not free I know but safe and well run.

Decoy Lakes - Acclaimed as one of the UK's leading coarse fisheries

There is also a stretch of what I think may be the old Nene at King's Dyke, on the road to Whittlesey. It is probably P&DAA water but I have never noticed any obvious signs when driving past. Easy parking behind some pegs. looks like a good roach water that I have always intended to try and fish but never have, yet.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Many rivers in big towns/cities may have free fishing, the Thames is a prime example, plenty of free fishing, but getting to it is the problem, especially if going by car.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
The embankment at Peterborough used to be a bream mecca! I wouldn't like to fish there today as I wouldn't feel safe, you might be alright with a rod n rucksack as you can quickly leave the area if anything horrible happens

Flathead

Site Supporter
Just a couple of miles outside Peterborough You have two good commercial fisheries. Not free I know but safe and well run.

Decoy Lakes - Acclaimed as one of the UK's leading coarse fisheries

There is also a stretch of what I think may be the old Nene at King's Dyke, on the road to Whittlesey. It is probably P&DAA water but I have never noticed any obvious signs when driving past. Easy parking behind some pegs. looks like a good roach water that I have always intended to try and fish but never have, yet.
King’s Dyke is controlled by Yaxley, Farcet and Holme angling club.....very cheap season ticket

Flathead

Site Supporter
When you say in the Peterborough area how far away do you mean?

The whole of the Welland through Spalding is free, the whole of The Well creek ( continuation of the Old Nene) through to Salters Lode is free and all of the Old Nene through March is free.

On those waters alone you have many miles of free fishing within a short drive.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just do not, I repeat do not, park in the car park at the side of the flyover near the embankment as it was (don't know if still is) a meeting place for male dogging, and I'm not talking the four legged variety :eek:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just do not, I repeat do not, park in the car park at the side of the flyover near the embankment as it was (don't know if still is) a meeting place for male dogging, and I'm not talking the four legged variety :eek:
Come on, tell us all about it.

Dazza80

Unfortunately the stretch you walked from Whittlesey to castor is all pretty much pdaa except the embankment as others have said, then further up stream also to Elton, nassington and stibbington then I believe they lose the rights starting wansford to deeping st James ac, so it’s all controlled pretty much I’m afraid. Pdaa is 5 pounds per day ticket except Elton and Wellington stretches and you can purchase on line how appreciate that’s not free fishing. Regards the embankment personally I wouldn’t on your own.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Come on, tell us all about it.
Nothing to tell :)

Myself and Stu drove in to the car park to meet up with some other maggotdrowners (that doesn't sound good for a start :oops:)

Drove around the car park and noticed other cars doing the same, then stopping for a chat.:love2:
Then the two male drivers would disappear into the bushes surrounding the car park :smileysex1:

Once we realised what was happening we were out of there like a shot, gone in a cloud of dust :pontiac:

JarvJarv

Unfortunately the stretch you walked from Whittlesey to castor is all pretty much pdaa except the embankment as others have said, then further up stream also to Elton, nassington and stibbington then I believe they lose the rights starting wansford to deeping st James ac, so it’s all controlled pretty much I’m afraid. Pdaa is 5 pounds per day ticket except Elton and Wellington stretches and you can purchase on line how appreciate that’s not free fishing. Regards the embankment personally I wouldn’t on your own.
Thanks. My understanding (and pardon my geography) is the embankment is just the green backed part up to the Grain barge or goes a bit further?
I ask as when I walked the stretch further (like under a couple of railway bridges and maybe a mile?) there seemed to be plenty of characters - and I judge - did not look like they had paid £5 (-:
As a side note I had a wander to a stretch I was interested in around the Boathouse pub as liked the look of the "lagoon" but from what I see there and the little river leading to it is clearly marked as PDAA. It looked quite Perchy and Zanderish
The other section I walked from there to the lock area with canoes I was surprised that aside from the lock not a soul fishing on a perfect day. A lot of the far bank with overhanging tress looked very "chubby" (which I understand is all PDAA now)

JarvJarv

When you say in the Peterborough area how far away do you mean?

The whole of the Welland through Spalding is free, the whole of The Well creek ( continuation of the Old Nene) through to Salters Lode is free and all of the Old Nene through March is free.

On those waters alone you have many miles of free fishing within a short drive.

Thanks will investigate all of these - a short drive is an option for all of these

Dazza80

Thanks. My understanding (and pardon my geography) is the embankment is just the green backed part up to the Grain barge or goes a bit further?
I ask as when I walked the stretch further (like under a couple of railway bridges and maybe a mile?) there seemed to be plenty of characters - and I judge - did not look like they had paid £5 (-:
As a side note I had a wander to a stretch I was interested in around the Boathouse pub as liked the look of the "lagoon" but from what I see there and the little river leading to it is clearly marked as PDAA. It looked quite Perchy and Zanderish
The other section I walked from there to the lock area with canoes I was surprised that aside from the lock not a soul fishing on a perfect day. A lot of the far bank with overhanging tress looked very "chubby" (which I understand is all PDAA now)
Not fished the embankment for years but I believe the free stretch starts at the grain barge down stream to the millennium bridge which runs along side the key theatre, lots of easy access with mainly concrete banks. The boat house pub lagoon as you say is pdaa, used to be good for pike and zander, perch silvers etc plus the odd tench and bream shoals but has been over fished and probably emptied. The weir with canoes is called orton mere, popular with barbel anglers plus lots of other species, the river down stream of the weir used to be good for chub but don’t believe many are there these days, few really fish it, upstream of the weir can produce bream and tench fishing close to the moored up boats. Tbh most sections of the nene are hardly fished, I walk along sections most weekends and very rarely see people fishing other than the popular areas which in the main are castor and then orton mete, alwalton to but that’s hit and miss. The nenes a funny river, looks a lot better than what it fishes tbh, it gets better upstream towards oundle for general fishing. I pay the 30 pound season ticket and have never been approached by a bailiff other than alwalton and ferry meadows although they do bailiff it when they have the resource except castor which is regulated bailiffed.