Length: 3.00m / 10

3 piece overall length when packed 3'6" (42") - 107cms

A fibreglass blank has been used

Finished in High Gloss Black with painted gold bands and painted gold lettering

All the rings are single leg with the exception of the bottom and top rings

Quite a slim blank has been used in its construction

A Duplon handle with plastic reel retaining slide fittings

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rings are all in line, the paint and varnish is well applied except a little too liberally where the rod goes into the handle and the top ring is not as perfectly positioned as one would like

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced (without a reel) 13mm / below the centre of the bottom ring

The rod is a mainly tip action rod with a smooth progressive bend to about 2/3 of the rod length when lastly the final section comes into play with a bit more power

SURPRISE! SURPRISE! THE ROD COMES WITH A 3 YEAR GUARANTEE AGAINST FAULTY WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS

Second surprise the rod is not as floppy nor as whippy as I was expecting and is better finished than I expected nor does it feel like holding a broom handle

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

I used a fixed spool reel and a centrepin loaded with 3lb breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to give it a limit of 5lb maximum line strength, which will be more than adequate for what I am fishing for

September 2009, a beautiful warm fairly still early autumn day
A wide section of the slow flowing Suffolk Stour
Mixed bag of Roach, small Chub and a few Perch

A small private lake in Suffolk
Mixed bag of Roach, small Rudd and a few Perch

October 2009, a beautiful pleasant although a little windy early autumn day
A narrow and relatively fast flowing stretch of the Suffolk Stour
A very similar mixed bag of fish up to 1lb / .05 kilo

November 2009, windy, blustery showery day
A weirpool on the Suffolk Stour quite a flow going through
A very similar mixed bag of fish up to about 2lb / 1 kilo

Test period extended to June 2010

OVERALL FINAL IMPRESSION / SUMMARY - MY PERSONAL OPINION:

A most excellent 10 rod easily equal to and better than some much more expensive rods and a rod I have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, novice and expert alike, with its three year guarantee and incredibly low price I dont see how you can go wrong. At 8.00 this rod does not pretend to be a top of the range rod nor is it a rod designed for Carp or commercials well not big Carp. The rod is a most excellent 10 / 3.0m float rod at home in the river or a lake. I found the rod a pleasure to use and an easy rod to master. I would not call this rod a match rod as it is simply not tip action enough. Yes the rod is fibreglass and not carbon but for me this was not a problem as the rod is made on a relatively thin blank.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Recommended line minimum and maximum strengths would be the first thing

Rod bag the second

Better reel fixings the third

Sadly the second two are likely to cause an increase in price but I still think this would be a great value rod providing the price of my suggestions are kept to a minimum

This post is copyrightWatatoad 2010, also copyrightRJEBambridgeKiddy 2010

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 002

LATHAMS FIBREGLASS 12 (3.6MTR) FLOAT/MATCH ROD @ 10.00

Made in China

The rod comes in a plastic see through rod bag

Model No. FSC 1203

Casting weight: 10 40 g.

Length: 3.60m / 12

3 piece overall length when packed 4' 2 1/2" (50.5") - 128cms

Quite a slim fibreglass blank has been used in its construction

The rod is supplied with a Duplon handle and plastic reel retaining slide fittings

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rings are all in line, the paint and varnish is well applied

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced (without a reel) 13mm / below the centre of the bottom ring

The rod is a mainly tip action rod with a smooth progressive bend to about 2/3 of the rod length when lastly the final section comes into play with a bit more power

SURPRISE! ANOTHER LAYHAMS ROD WITH A 3 YEAR GUARANTEE AGAINST FAULTY WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

I fished on several different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 to June 2010, using a fixed spool reel and with centrepins loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 6lb line strength

A pleasantly surprising rod to fish with and one of the range which Lathams sell under their own brand name. They sell this rod in a choice of three lengths 10, 12, and 13 all made with fibreglass blanks. I found this to be a very pleasant rod to use not as firm a blank as some although this can make it a little more forgiving of mistakes, all in all a very good general float rod.

An interesting and pleasantly surprising 12 budget rod in my opinion well on par with higher priced rods certainly a rod that is equally at home on streams, rivers and lakes. A rod I have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, young or old, novice or expert alike, with its three year guarantee and incredibly low price I dont see how you can go wrong. At 10.00 this rod does not pretend to be a top of the range rod nor is it a rod designed for Carp or commercials well not big Carp. I found the rod a joy to use and an easy rod to master. I would not call this rod a match rod as it is simply not tip action enough.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Rod bag the second

Sadly the second two are likely to cause an increase in price but I still think this would be a great value rod providing the price of my suggestions are kept to a minimum

MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 001

LATHAMS FIBREGLASS 10 (3MTR) FLOAT/MATCH ROD @ 8.00

Made in China

Model No. FSC 1003

Length: 3.00m / 10

3 piece overall length when packed 3'6" (42") - 107cms

Quite a slim blank has been used in its construction

A Duplon handle with plastic reel retaining slide fittings

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rings are all in line, the paint and varnish is well applied except a little too liberally where the rod goes into the handle and the top ring is not as perfectly positioned as one would like

SURPRISE! SURPRISE! THE ROD COMES WITH A 3 YEAR GUARANTEE AGAINST FAULTY WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS

Second surprise the rod is not as floppy nor as whippy as I was expecting and is better finished than I expected nor does it feel like holding a broom handle

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

I used a fixed spool reel and a centrepin loaded with 3lb breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to give it a limit of 5lb maximum line strength, which will be more than adequate for what I am fishing for

A wide section of the slow flowing Suffolk Stour
Mixed bag of Roach, small Chub and a few Perch

A small private lake in Suffolk
Mixed bag of Roach, small Rudd and a few Perch

October 2009, a beautiful pleasant although a little windy early autumn day
A narrow and relatively fast flowing stretch of the Suffolk Stour
A very similar mixed bag of fish up to 1lb / .05 kilo

November 2009, windy, blustery showery day
A weirpool on the Suffolk Stour quite a flow going through
A very similar mixed bag of fish up to about 2lb / 1 kilo

Test period extended to June 2010

A most excellent 10 rod easily equal to and better than some much more expensive rods and a rod I have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, novice and expert alike, with its three year guarantee and incredibly low price I dont see how you can go wrong. At 8.00 this rod does not pretend to be a top of the range rod nor is it a rod designed for Carp or commercials well not big Carp. The rod is a most excellent 10 / 3.0m float rod at home in the river or a lake. I found the rod a pleasure to use and an easy rod to master. I would not call this rod a match rod as it is simply not tip action enough. Yes the rod is fibreglass and not carbon but for me this was not a problem as the rod is made on a relatively thin blank.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Rod bag the second

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 003

LATHAMS FIBREGLASS 13 (3.9MTR) FLOAT/MATCH ROD @ 12.00

Made in China

Model No. FSC 1303

Length: 3.90m / 13

3 piece overall length when packed 4' 5 1/2" (53.5") - 136cms

Quite a slim fibreglass blank has been used in its construction

The rod is supplied with a Duplon handle and plastic reel retaining slide fittings

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rings are all in line, the paint and varnish is well applied

ANOTHER LAYHAMS ROD WITH A 3 YEAR GUARANTEE AGAINST FAULTY WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the third rod under the Lathams badge I have tested and in similar conditions to the first two. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September to June 2010, using a fixed spool reel and with centrepins loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 6lb line strength

Similar in looks and construction to the previous two I have subjected to my personal testing and the longest in Lathams budget range. Its a comfortable rod to hold with a gentle action a very good general float rod. Not really tip action enough to call a match rod but a rod which I would have no hesitation to pick up for a pleasant day or afternoons fishing. At home on river, canal and lake. A rod I have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, young or old, novice or expert alike, with its three year guarantee and incredibly low price I dont see how you can go wrong. At 12.00 this rod does not pretend to be a top of the range rod nor is it a rod designed for Carp or commercials well not big Carp. I found the rod a joy to use and an easy rod to master and is a rod that will certainly find a home in my tackle.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Rod bag the second

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 004

LATHAMS CARBON 13 (3.9MTR) FLOAT/MATCH ROD @ 20.00

Made in China

The rod comes in a standard cloth rod bag

Model No. IFMA - 1303

Casting weight: 5 20g.

Length: 3.90m / 13

3 piece overall length when packed 4 5 53 136.5cms

A Carbon blank has been used

Finished in High Gloss Black with painted gold bands and a flash of electric blue around the first ring with painted gold lettering

An average diameter carbon blank has been used in its construction

The rod is supplied with a Duplon handle and plastic reel retaining screw fittings

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rings are all in line, the paint and varnish are well applied

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced (without a reel) at the bottom ring

The rod is a mainly progressive tip action rod with a smooth progressive bend to about 2/3 of the rod length when lastly the final section comes into play with a bit more power

ANOTHER LAYHAMS ROD WITH A 3 YEAR GUARANTEE AGAINST FAULTY WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the fourth rod under the Lathams badge I have tested and in similar conditions to the first three. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 to June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 6lb line strength

Similar in looks to the previous three Lathams rod tested with the exception of the blue flash, I have subjected to my personal testing. Its a comfortable rod to hold with a gentle action more akin to a good general float rod. Not really stiff enough nor tip action enough to call a match rod but a rod which I would have no hesitation to pick up for a pleasant day or afternoons fishing. At home on river, canal and lake, the rod comfortably handled Carp to 5lb the line pick up is quite good when trotting and the strike is positive. A rod I have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, young or old, novice or expert alike, with its three year guarantee and incredibly low price I dont see how you can go wrong. At 20.00 this rod does not pretend to be a top of the range rod nor is it a rod designed for record Carp it is however quite at home on a commercials with an average size of 5lb to 7lb. I found the rod a pleasant experience to use and an easy rod to master and is a rod that will certainly find a home with my rods and tackle.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Rod bag needs instant attention as the middle sized pocket is too small to take the middle section of the rod which means you have to put the butt and the middle together and leave one pocket empty or damage the rings forcing it in, this is inexcusable and shows a lack of attention and poor quality control; this is important therefore the first needed improvement.

Recommended line minimum and maximum strengths would be the second improvement

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 005

LATHAMS CARBON 14 (4.2MTR) FLOAT/MATCH ROD @ 25.00

Made in China

Model No. IFMA - 1403

Casting weight: 5 20g.

Length: 4.2m / 14

3 piece overall length when packed 4 9 57 147cms

A Carbon blank has been used

Finished in Gloss Black/dark grey ring pattern with painted gold bands and a flash of electric blue around the first ring with painted gold lettering

An average diameter carbon blank has been used in its construction

The rod is supplied with a Duplon handle and plastic reel retaining screw fittings

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced (without a reel) at the bottom ring

The rod is a mainly progressive tip action rod with a smooth progressive bend to about 2/3 of the rod length when lastly the final section comes into play with a bit more power

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the fifth rod under the Lathams badge I have tested and in similar conditions to the first four. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September to June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 6lb line strength

Similar in looks to the previous four Lathams rod tested again with the blue flash as is found on their 13 carbon rod, I have subjected to my personal testing. Its a comfortable rod to hold with a gentle action more akin to a general float rod. Not really stiff enough in my opinion for a 14 rod and certainly not tip action enough to be called a match rod but a rod which is capable of good pleasant use. More at home on slower rivers or lakes, the rod comfortably handled all it caught. However the line pick up is quite good when trotting, but not brilliant and the strike is fairly positive. Many novices will find the slightly softer action very forgiving which can make the difference between hooking the fish and missing it. This rod I am still happy to use although it took me a little longer than I would have expected to really get to grips with this rod to get the best out of it. However value for money it certainly is, with its three year guarantee and incredibly low price I dont see how you can go wrong at 25.00.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

A slightly stiffer blank would certainly turn this rod from a good rod to a great rod.

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 006

XL TECHNIQUE PELLET TWIN TIP 11 (3.3mtr) @ 19.99

Made in ? No manufacturers details so I am assuming Britain

Model No. XLT102

Casting weight: ?

Length: 3.3mtr 11

4 piece 2 rod sections 2 quiver tips - overall length when packed 311 47 - 120cms

A Fibreglass blank has been used

Finished in Matt Black/dark with two rainbow flashes between the butt and the first ring either side of the rod name

All the rings are twin leg with the exception rings on one of the quiver tips

An thin average diameter fibreglass blank has been used in its construction

The rod is supplied with a Duplon handle with a plastic and metal reel retaining screw fittings

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rings are all in line, the paint is well applied

The rod has a bumpy finish between the handle and the first ring

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand. The rod balances with either tip 4 100mm below the first ring

The rod is a mainly progressive action rod with a smooth progressive bend to about 2/3 of the rod length when lastly the final section comes into play with a bit more power. However the rod does feels rather soft and quite whippy in the hand.

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This rod casts a fully loaded Preston 20g one open end feeder with considerable accuracy. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 and the beginning of June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 5lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 5lb line strength

Looking good in its matt finish and touch of bling colouring high build ring fixing. Dont be deceived this rod in my opinion is a total load of rubbish and a complete waste of money. In the thread Toady Carp fishing with Clive. You can see the rod bent in a complete arc nice action only trouble is if the fish goes over about 1lb you dont have any power to get the fish in Clive had to wait until the fish got free and I had exactly the same problem when river fishing a 1lb Roach took forever to get in and I must admit I did wonder if I could actually get the fish in.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Go back to the drawing board and stop production of this rod

Recommended line minimum and maximum strengths would be the second improvement I would suggest a maximum line strength of 1lb

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 007

AVANTI AZURE MARGIN POWERCARP 10 3MTR @ 49.99

Made in: China

The rod comes in a standard 2 pocket cloth rod bag

Model No. AV610

Length: 3.0m / 10

3 piece overall length when packed 5 1 61 157cms

A Vitro Fibre reinforced blank with PSP {Polymeric Structured Plasticiser) technology has been used

Finished in Matt Dark Bluish grey the section between the handle and the first ring varnished

Matsuku three leg lined rings are used

An average diameter fibreglass blank has been used in its construction

The rod is supplied with a EVA and cork handle and plastic reel retaining screw fittings with a metal trim

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The reel seat is not in perfect alignment with the rings

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced about 4 100mm (without a reel) below (handle side) of bottom ring

The rod is a mainly progressive tip to middle action rod with a smooth progressive bend to between half and 2/3 of the rod length when lastly the final section comes into play with a bit more power

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the seventh rod I have tested and in similar conditions. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 and the beginning of June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 8lb line strength

Its a fairly comfortable rod to hold with sure and positive strike some will find the rod a little heavy if they are used to fishing with very thin carbon and some others may well find the rod a little too tip heavy. The rod has enough power for the job it is designed for. Once into a fish on a commercial there was no feeling of uncertainty the rod is very positive although slightly heavy not a rod I would recommend for a child but fine for those on a budget or for novices especially if the front/top section is rested on a rod rest, I would be happy to fish with it all day. Picking up carp in the margins, certainly not a rod that would be great for silverfish but it is not designed for them. The rod is supplied by one company who sell it at a greatly reduced price and when you take that into consideration then this is not a bad rod at its reduced price although it is certainly not worth the recommended retail price.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Recommended casting weights would really be nice

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 008

AVANTI AZURE MULTI TIP FEEDER 10 3MTR @ 59.99

Model No. AV610

Length: 3.0m / 10

2 piece with 3 push in feeder tips overall length when packed 5 1 61 157cms

A Vitro Fibre reinforced blank with PSP {Polymeric Structured Plasticiser) technology has been used

Finished in Matt Dark Bluish grey the section between the handle and the first ring varnished

Matsuku three leg lined rings are used, the rings used on the tips are all single leg

An average diameter blank has been used in its construction

The rod is supplied with a EVA and cork handle and plastic reel retaining screw fittings with a metal trim

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced about halfway between the bottom ring and the butt/handle

The rod is a mainly tip to middle action rod with a smooth progressive bend to about half of the rod length when lastly the final section comes into play with a bit more power

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the eighth rod I have tested and in similar conditions. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 and June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 8lb line strength the rod may well be able to take lines a little stronger but I have erred on the side of caution

Its a fairly comfortable rod to hold with a rather less than great strike being rather whippy in the tip, The rod does cast well and no veering off course nor did I find the softness of the tip a problem when casting. However some will find the rod a little heavy and in particular tip heavy, especially so if they are used to fishing with very thin carbon. Bite indication was pretty good with any of the three tips supplied. The rod has enough power for the job it is designed for. Once into a fish on there was no feeling of uncertainty. The rod gives a feeling of confidence, although slightly heavy and not a rod I would recommend for a child but fine for those on a budget or for novices especially once in the rests the weight is not a problem and I did not notice the weight when playing fish. The rod is supplied by one company who sell it at a greatly reduced price and when you take that into consideration then this is not a bad rod at its reduced price although it is certainly not worth the recommended retail price.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Feeder tip weights are really needed please put them on (even transfers could be used)

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 009

AVANTI AZURE POWER CAST WAGGLER 12 3.6MTR @ 59.99

Model No. AV611

Length: 3.6m / 12

3 piece overall length when packed - 43 51 130cms

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced 2 6cms above the bottom ring (towards the tip) which is not very good in some anglers eyes

The rod is a smooth progressive action with a slightly whippy tip, the power comes from the middle and butt sections

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the ninth rod I have tested and in similar conditions. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 and June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 8lb line strength the rod may well be able to take lines a little stronger but I have erred on the side of caution

Some will find that this rod is a little too tip heavy, especially if they are used to fishing with very thin carbon. Not the most comfortable rod to hold for long periods as the rod is definitely tip heavy both with and without a reel. The strike too is not great as the rod is quite whippy on the tip and with a hard strike if you miss the whole rod vibrates. However the rod has enough power for the job it is designed for. Once into a fish rod comes into its own and gave me a feeling of confidence to land whatever I had hooked into. Because of the lack of good balance and the tip heavy feeling coupled with the weight this is not a rod for a child but fine for those on a budget or for novices especially once in the rests the weight is not a problem and I did not notice the weight when playing fish. The rod is supplied by one company who sell it at a greatly reduced price and when you take that into consideration then this is not a bad rod at its reduced price although it is certainly not worth the recommended retail price.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Recommended line minimum and maximum strengths

Get the rod more balanced and less tip heavy is essential

A slightly less whippy tip would be a really good finishing touch

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 010

AVANTI GOLD MEDAL POWERFEEDER 3pce Twin Tip 12 - 3.6mtr @ 79.99

The rod comes in a standard 3 pocket cloth rod bag

Model No. AVM2X

Length: 3.6m / 12

3 piece overall length when packed - 42 50 128cms

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced 2 6cms above the bottom ring (towards the tip) which is not very good in some anglers eyes

The rod is a smooth progressive action with a slightly whippy tip, the power comes from the middle and butt sections

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the tenth rod I have tested and in similar conditions. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 and June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 6lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 8lb line strength the rod may well be able to take lines a little stronger but I have erred on the side of caution

Some will find that this rod is very tip heavy both with and without a reel. Being a feeder rod it will sit on the bank sticks and the weight will not be noticed. Bite indication is good crisp and clear. The strike is quite crisp and line take up is fairly good. The rod has enough power for the job it is designed for and I found it cast well and accurately. Once into a fish the rod comes into its own and the tip heaviness is not so noticeable and I felt confident the rod would not let me down and would land whatever I had hooked into. Because of the lack of good balance and the tip heavy feeling coupled with the weight this is not a rod for a child but fine for an adult whether on a budget or not or for novices especially as once in the rests the weight and balance are not a problem. I did not notice the weight when playing fish. The rod is supplied by one company who sell it at a greatly reduced price and when you take that into consideration then this is not a bad rod at its reduced price although it is certainly not worth the recommended retail price.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

Recommended line minimum and maximum strengths

Get the rod more balanced and less tip heavy is essential

watatoad

Toady
I hope you like these and find them useful, there are more to follow but it takes time transferring them from my notebook to the computer as I am a very slow typist

antihero

well, i'm not on the lookout for a rod in any form, but that was very interesting reading!

hats off to you watatoad for all the obvious hard work you've put in and hopefully a good few people will benefit from it!!!

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by antihero

well, i'm not on the lookout for a rod in any form, but that was very interesting reading!

hats off to you watatoad for all the obvious hard work you've put in and hopefully a good few people will benefit from it!!!

Ditto!![:T]

Took me a while to get through it all, but its good to know someone out there is looking at the lower end of the market rather than just banging on about the top flight gear[:T]
Always nice to read an honest review as opposed to the usual press reviews[;)]

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by badpegpicker

Originally posted by antihero

Ditto!![:T]

Took me a while to get through it all, but its good to know someone out there is looking at the lower end of the market rather than just banging on about the top flight gear[:T]
Always nice to read an honest review as opposed to the usual press reviews[;)]

My thoughts exactly. Ten out of ten for dedication, wataload! [:T]

Genus9

Originally posted by watatoad

I hope you like these and find them useful, there are more to follow but it takes time transferring them from my notebook to the computer as I am a very slow typist

I would'nt say You're a slow typist mate,

You posted all that in 6 mins.

Good reviews for anyone starting out on a limited budget, [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:

watatoad

Toady
Still to come:

Abu

Drennan

Leeda

Shimano

J W Youngs

They are still in my notebook

watatoad

Toady
Just to make everyone aware:

This is an entirely personal test:

I am not involved in the fishing tackle trade nor involved in the fishing tackle retail or manufacturing trade not in the angling media.

I did it because I kept being asked what is good cheap tackle, how cheap can I / my husband / my son / my daughter start fishing.

I also got two friends to also test the rods out one is a total novice 1 is a very experienced angler who just loves Carp...hehehe

I have also done some tests on some reels both fixed spool and centrepin from the ZenMaster to the Okuma Sheffield

antihero

I'll be interested to see the findings from Leeda....had a few things from them, and although cheap, it's been quality stuff...and considering who they own?!?

watatoad

Toady
MY PERSONAL BUDGET ROD TEST No. 011

LEEDA XL FLOAT ROD 10 - 3.04 mtr @ 16.99

Made in: No indication given as to its place of manufacture

The rod comes in a standard 3 pocket cloth rod bag

Model No. A9010 2XL FLOATY300

Length: 3.04m / 10

3 piece overall length when packed 3 6 42 107cms

Finished in Matt Black

Three leg lined rings are used throughout the rod also has a hook retaining clip/ring

An average diameter blank has been used in its construction

PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION:

The rod is straight and feels very comfortable in the hand and is balanced 2 7cms below the bottom ring (towards the handle)

The rod is a smooth progressive action with a good striking tip, the power is from the tip throughout with extra power coming in from the middle and butt sections

FISHING WITH THE ROD:

This is the eleventh rod I have tested and in similar conditions. Being fished on many different occasions under widely different weather conditions at different venues between the beginning of September 2009 and June 2010, using both a fixed spool reel and with a centrepin reel loaded with various lines 2lb. 3lb. and 5lb. breaking strain line. The rod comes with no indication of recommended line strength so I have decided to limit the rod to 6lb line strength the rod may well be able to take lines a little stronger but I have erred on the side of caution

This is one of the finest 10 rods I have ever had the pleasure in using in all my 57 years of angling and I still cannot believe it at the price, and I have fished with some of the most expensive rods available. Bite indication is good crisp and clear. The strike is very good and line take up is faultless for this length of rod. The rod has enough power for the job it is designed for and I found it cast well and accurately. The rods length being ideal in many situations where a longer rod would make fishing difficult plucking very good sized Chub from a very overhung stream to pulling 7lb Carp or good sized Tench from the margins yet still being a lot of fun with a half pound Roach on the hook. I am at a loss to describe what a pleasure this rod is to fish with and when you take into consideration the price of this rod all I can really say in summing up is.

I was so impressed I went out and bought two more of these rods and gave them to two very close angling friends who since using them have completely agreed with my comments and praises of this rod. Plus I am going to buy myself another one so I can then be fairly sure of having one of these rods for the rest of my life.

POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS:

None its great as it is

watatoad

Toady
Hi,

First sorry for the length of the reply. But I have been asked a question and the answer is a bit long as I want to be accurate and honest.

In answer to a question I actually bought over 20 rods and 9 reels (6 fixed spool and 3 centrepins). I am a disabled person, for some of the time I have severe on acute Multiple Sclerosis and a very severe heart condition having had, major heart attacks and full cardiac arrests, I was medically retired on the 20th February 1980, I am well into my 60's. When my MS is in recession I frequently fish and among other places a weir pool and the river leading to and from it, which are backed by a large amount of common land. It is less than 5 minutes from the centre of the town, and on a shortcut to a school with a lot of mums going past, its a popular place for people out for a stroll and many many people walking dogs.

Quite suddenly and without any warning around the beginning of last September people began asking me about fishing and how to start and how much did it cost to begin fishing. During the previous 12 months in order to clear out what my wife called my hoard of fishing gear. I had been selling a lot of my 57 years of tackle purchases and tackle I had been given and inherited, as a result I had quite a lot of what I call my fishing pot (money).

I do not drink, I am incapable of chasing women, I have a pretty restricted social life due to my condition. Then when one considers what the average angler spends on tackle a year then takes into account many years of buying particularly books on fishing, centrepins and built cane rods and early solid and hollow glass fibre long before they returned to popularity and collectors jumped onto them whisking the prices sky high. You will realise how easy it is to accumulate a lot of gear and sell it for rather a lot of money. Yes I admit to being squirrel like and a person who throws almost nothing away, back in the 50s and 60s nobody wanted centrepins and I guess I must have bought rather a lot of old pins and I was given loads by people using their new threadlines and fixed spools. The advent of hollow glass fibre rods meant nobody really wanted their old cane and built cane rods except I did I just loved them, then came carbon and being the sort of old fashioned hoarding guy I am I got rather a lot of early hollow and solid glass fibre rods very cheaply.

I am also a very curious (nosey) guy and I though I wonder how cheaply somebody could start fishing today, Ill see how cheaply I can do it. (warning lights should have come on) I guess I was missing my hoardhehehethis is the result of my first experiment.

TACKLE UP THE CHEAP WAY

Fibreglass Match Rod 12 3.6m 10.00

reel 1 get 1 free 10.00 for 2

Line about 3lb x 100m 2.49

4 division double cut shot 2.49

Packet barbless hooks size 16 to nylon 10pack 0.99

3 floats at about 85p each 2.55

1 disgorger plastic 0.39

60cm round net with telescopic handle 10.00

A plastic box for the tackle 0.99

Maggot box 2.11

Reel pvc electrical tape for backing on the large capacity reel saves spending too much on line 0.25

SUB TOTAL 42.26

Sold one of the two reels - minus 5.00
TOTAL 37.26

You could add a rod rest or 2 or cut a forked branch clean the bark off, a wire coat hanger can also be adapted stuck and or whipped into the end of a garden cane.

bait
You can use worms from the garden I usually cut mine into 3 or 4 pieces,
slugs,
wasp grubs,
a can of sweet corn,
a couple of slices of bread,
the cheapest cheese paste is a spreadable cheese triangle sandwich with the crusts cut off needed into a ball then pull bits off just big enough to cover the hook what you don't use after a days fishing pop in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge it should keep for 10 days to a fortnight and the fish wont mind if it gets a bit smelly in fact they like it smelly.
Spam
1/2 pint maggots

TIP for those in a relationship;
'Don't put worms, slugs, wasp grubs, or maggots in the fridge, the other half will go mental' hehehe

You could say I am a bored but fanatical experienced old anglerhehehe

Nearly all of the rods I bought to test have since been sold or given onif I had not the wife would have killed me with her nagging. Almost all of the rods were bought as cheaply as possible and the total is not as high as a good pole would have cost me. You will also please note that none of the rods are available from one source.

I did not buy any poles, fly fishing tackle or sea fishing gear, although I did used to use all I don't any longer.

I hope that this will help answer your question.