Perks of the job or stealing.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You often see people helping themselves to supplies provided by their employer. Whether it be stationery, screws/nails etc. IMHO I would say that at least 75% of employees have been guilty of this at some point in their career. Is it a perk of the job or are we all thieves?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
More and more businesses these days are considering it as theft and respond as per their company policy
Usually it's an official warning which goes on the employees record.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Don't know about others but I'd say it was stealing. Surely they should ask the boss first being as there will, more than likely, be a staff discount.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
It is definitely stealing. But mea culpa also. Nothing big. But I have had the odd pen etc.

I remember being asked to read a C.V. from a co-worker who was looking for another job. She was very surprised when I told her it wasn't a good idea to put it on company headed paper because that just says "I steal stationery" to a new employer.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
In my profession ( Electrical Contracting ) you are always going to get your lads nicking a bit of gear. What I say and have said to my lads for many years is ..... If it's a small item like a switch, socket etc just ask and you can have FOC. If it's a larger item like a consumer unit, drum of cable then they can have it for what I pay less the VAT. I've even given them a hand from time to time on their own guvvy jobs. I must be mad. ?. Thing is, one lad has been with me 22 years and another 19. If I were to ask them to work over or at weekends at the drop of a hat they would. They even tell me to wash my van. I sometimes wonder who the gaffer is in my own company. ???

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
By the letter of the law it would be theft.
But, I can't stop now, just got the car out to pick the wife up. Well they had loads, it's not like their going to miss one, is it?
Toyota-Mirai-MET-27.jpg
What Toyota is that Chervil ? Looks quite nippy does that.

John Step

Site Supporter
Its what MPs did regarding expenses. It got bigger and out of hand and some ended in jail. They got slated. Probably by some who were nicking from work.

me

Legally theft but every one does it .
A couple of of years ago i asked a gaffer i was subbing for if i could order some paint off his account as he got better discount than me . He said yes what do you want ?
I said 5 liters of this colour 10 liters of that colour , 5 liters of this colour ect ect .

He replied yes no probs with that paint it will be £xxx, but the one thing i dont understand is, you all come in and ask can you use my discount for wall paper and coloured paints , but dont any of you paint your ceilings white or under coat or gloss your wood work white or fill or caulk any thing as non of you ever ask for any of that stuff. He knew full well this sort of stuff got took off site

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I always have bags of Gear left over off jobs they go in the Van and on to the next Job, on one Job i was Labour only there was 6 bags left and 5 ltrs of PVA the gaffer said tek em. Well the Labourer who i was doing a job For the week after said ya can knock them bags off my Price seen as ya got em for nowt. I dont need to tell ya my answer, But i made him get the Materials there and Knocked that price off the Job there was a bag left over for which he Said keep it mate i told him to stick it up his Arse .

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
where I worked being caught nicking was sackable.. gross misconduct they called it... no appeals and even the union didn't fight it... working in Pharma and nicking is a big no-no

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thank you Chervil. Looks a nice motor does that. It's not often a car takes my fancy but, I quite like that. Especially as all cars look the same to me these days. Thanks ?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Lad at Nissan lost a £30 grand a year job all for a £10 pair of wipers. Probably cost Nissan £2 each if that. Got caught on cctv.He was Never seen again. No warning. Marched off site,.Married with 3 kids.
Would anybody steal any again. ?‍♂️ But I bet it stopped a few

Chervil

Site Supporter
Thank you Chervil. Looks a nice motor does that. It's not often a car takes my fancy but, I quite like that. Especially as all cars look the same to me these days. Thanks ?
I know what you mean, I drive a Qashqai, which I really like. However it looks the same as lots of other cars out there. The one car I always say I like the look off is the Toyota C-HR.
2018-toyota-c-hr_1.png

Last edited:

Paul22

You often see people helping themselves to supplies provided by their employer. Whether it be stationery, screws/nails etc. IMHO I would say that at least 75% of employees have been guilty of this at some point in their career. Is it a perk of the job or are we all thieves?
It’s theft in my opinion......

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I know what you mean, I drive a Qashqai, which I really like> However it looks the same as lots of other cars out there. The one car I always say I like the look off is the Toyota C-HR.
2018-toyota-c-hr_1.png
Yep, agree. I like that as well. We bought a new Honda Civic in 2008 because it looked quite futuristic and with it being an Honda thought the build quality would be good. How wrong were we. We had nothing but bother for two years. Nice looking car but, it spent more time in the garage than we did having use of it. ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Lad at Nissan lost a £30 grand a year job all for a £10 pair of wipers. Probably cost Nissan £2 each if that. Got caught on cctv.He was Never seen again. No warning. Marched off site,.Married with 3 kids.
Maybe he was doing a Johnny Cash ( 1 piece at a time) & had a fleet of Qashqais at home.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yes, and would never get another job where a future employer asked for a reference from his previous employer would he.