Perfect Fen Tench

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
Managed to get on the bank for 0600 this morning which, although not outstanding, is the earliest I’ve managed so far this season. Maybe I’ll do better when/if it ever warms up.

Swim looked good…

2119F41A-6417-437D-94AF-C73826F28CF5.jpeg

Set up as usual. 2AAA Waggler, 4lb Maxima Ultagreen mainline with a 6” 3lb hooklength. Size 12 Animal hook with double bread punch on the hair and single corn on the hook. Cup of coffee with single Hamlet.

Plenty of pin bubbles coming up all around the swim and about 0700 hooked into this beauty. 5lb 12oz and not a blemish on it. Wouldn’t surprise me if it hadn’t been caught for years.

A8766717-5AA6-43CD-A5C8-610FF5CB8F8A.jpeg

Excuse my hooklength, but the line wasn’t taut and didn’t damage the fish. It was just quicker to get a picture with my phone before unhooking. I do try and handle the fish as little as possible and get them back into the water as soon as possible. I never bother with a keepnet. Looking at the photo I think this is probably the prettiest tench I’ve ever caught. Fin perfect.

This was followed by what I think is a roach? I’m not particularly good with the whole roach/rudd/hybrid identification scene, so maybe someone on here would have more of an idea? Lovely fish nevertheless. Unfortunately the dorsal fin is obscured by the net.

49901CCB-6184-43D4-ABC2-58E9B236AD66.jpeg

Another Forum member @Truly had turned up and was fishing a couple of hundred yards along the bank so I reeled in and wandered over for a chat. He’d obviously been waiting for me to make an appearance as, no sooner had I arrived, he hooked into and landed a nice bream, so I grabbed a photo.

A452FCF1-B710-407A-A31E-62B1AC6DCB56.jpeg

Back to my swim and they must have been pumping out downstream as the right-left flow had become so strong that I couldn’t get my waggler to hold station, even with a AAA six inches from the hook and firmly on the bottom.

This is a semi-regular occurrence on The Fens and the decision is usually whether to wait it out or set up a ledger rig. I decided to wait it out and twenty minutes later could resume with a stationary waggler rig.

The tench seemed to have done a runner from my swim but I did manage a couple of rudd over the next few hours. Nothing big and they both looked like this…

792981D0-52B0-4AC0-9D02-FD37382D4433.jpeg

Knocked it on the head about 1330 as I needed to get home and get some beer down my neck in order to cope with the abject misery and disappointment that is an England v Germany football match.

My prediction, England to win 11-10 on penalties. 😂

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Verry nice fish. Looks like the Old Bedford to me.

Ah, just seen your previous post re: Monk's Lode.

but I'm guessing there are two of them, as there's one at Wicken, towards Cambridge.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Verry nice fish. Looks like the Old Bedford to me.

Ah, just seen your previous post re: Monk's Lode.

but I'm guessing there are two of them, as there's one at Wicken, towards Cambridge.
The Lode at Wicken is ‘Wicken lode’ which joins the ‘Burwell lode’ and ‘Reach lode‘ at Upware near Cambridge (Edit: see next post for correction)

Monk’s lode is near Yaxley....not far from Peterborough.

Lodes are old waterways dating back to Roman times and predate the draining of the fens....there are several of them in Cambridgeshire

Last edited:

Flathead

Site Supporter
Correction....there is a Monk’s Lode at Wicken...my apologies....I think it becomes Wicken Lode or flows into it.....it is much smaller than the other Monk’s lode......I often walk along it thinking it was still Wicken lode

the One in question is the one near Yaxley by the looks of it

Last edited: