Perch - your best guess

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
I went fishing this afternoon. Armed with a fine polish made dropshot rod, with a Drennan fixed spool reel. I like their shallow spools a lot. And lots of other stuff. Down to the river, just a ten minute walk. And I got this fine perch. It's the biggest one I have ever landed. Of course I forgot my camera and my Salter scales. The width of the mat is half a meter. I estimate the lenght of the fish to be somewhere between 45 and 47 cm. The fish was on the portly side, and in fine shape. What would you estimate the weight to be?

IMG_20200829_202036 (Kopier).jpg

grey

Site Supporter
Crikey mate, that's got to be 3lb+

Notoriously difficult to estimate on sight, but it looks deep and if it's portly too, then I'd guess about 3¼lb.

Cracking perch - I hope I'm not doing it any injustice with my estimate.

JayD

Greys right perch are one of the hardest fish to guess the weight of, especially from a photograph.
I had one last year that measured just under 18ins, (46 cm), and it weighed 2lb 12oz, yours looks a bit thicker so I'd estimate 3lb +.That 2 cm can make a big difference, and obviously one that's just swallowed a 4oz roach would weigh more than one that hadn't.

Here's a rough weight for length chart,

Inches .....lb ozs

9 ..... 0 12

10 .....0 13 ¼

11 .....0 14 ¾

12 .....1 0

13 .....1 4 ½

14 .....1 9 ¾

15 .....1 14 ½

16 .....2 5 ½

17 .....2 13 ¼

18 .....3 5 ½

19 .....3 15 ¼

20 .....4 9 ½

21 .....5 5 ¼

What ever the weight, that's a bloody good perch, well done.

John.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hard to tell without anything in shot for reference but almost certainly comfortably the right size of 3lb for me 👍🏻

The one and only Harvey

I'm going back today. With everything I need to document properly. This is the first time I have fished this venue, and I don't expect I caught the biggest one on my first day out. It was quite late in the afternoon, just before darkness fell. My estimate is somewhere between 3 and 3 1/2 pound. My documented personal best is 1180 gram (1.18 kg, i.e. slightly above 2 1/2 pound). I might be able do nudge my PB in the right direction, based in yesterdays experinece, with two fish clearly above my PB. I'm fishing just a few minutes walk from where I live. Updates will follow.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d certainly say it beat your PB! Good luck today 👍🏻

Been caught out myself without scales for big perch. This is what is almost certainly my PB but unweighed. It was bigger than upper 2s I had weighed before so pretty sure it was a 3 but will never know exactly how much it weighed. Guess it doesn’t really matter as is a good fish anyway.

1598777718885.jpeg

rudd

Site Supporter
Looking at profile of its eyes to top of shoulders you can tell its big.
No way of telling its weight - settle for 3.75lbs 😉

The one and only Harvey

My "Street Fishing" setup:

P1040751 (Kopier).JPG

A Dragon Street Fishing Jig 15, 8 ft, with a Drennan FD 3000, loaded with 0.10 Berkley Fireline, and 0.25 Berkley fluorocarbon. A no. 1 Owner Mosquito Light hook in the business end. I truly love this reel. It's a shame that they are no longer available. The shallow spool takes exactly the amount of thin braid you need for all your dropshot work, and almost all jig fishing. Fortunately, I got two of these reels, and an abundance of spare spools. The rod is slightly on the long side. A 7 ft rod would be easier to handle, but it's such a lovely rod. A large shoulderbag, bought for next to nothing from a Salvation Army outlet. It's huge, with four external pockets. Everything I need, fits inside. An 8 ft telescopic landing net handle with a carrying strap. Fits over my shoulder, along with the bag. A small Milo landing net, fitted to the handle with a Quick Release connector. With the QR connoctor, it easily doubles as a weigh sling. My old JRC mat fits neatly under the flap of the bag. A couple of perfectly sized assortment boxes from a local DIY store. And a towel. That's all, mates.

rudd

Site Supporter
Shimano 1000 sized reels take 100m of 6-8lb braid perfectly 😉
I use two HTO rods or a drennan spincast for Light lure work:

The one and only Harvey

I have been out fishing since 12 o'clock. Best perch was 42 cm, and 1100 g, so not there yet. I hade one more over 2 pounds. It's on the same mat as last nights giant, which makes it easier to compare the two fish. All in all I landed somewhere between 20 and 25 perch.

And as a pleasant surprise, I also landed a 1400 g zander, which acutally is a new personal best. It was quickly returned to the river, no picture taken.

A bite of edible, and back to the river for the next pass.

P1040752 (Kopier).JPG

The one and only Harvey

Shimano 1000 sized reels take 100m of 6-8lb braid perfectly 😉

I have a few a small reels, but don't feel comfortable with them. I prefer a bigger reel, acompanied by a shallow spool. Shimano 2500 reels are the lower limit. I use 500 reels for ice fishing, but thats a very different ballgame.

DFL

Site Supporter
I don’t if this helps in anyway, as said pics are often very misleading when judging weight but this one was 3lb 10ozs. F0F000D0-4ADD-4929-8853-99B82BF47634.jpeg

amd this one 3lb 4oz
11AF9761-BF25-45FA-BDBB-D215850A88F9.jpeg

whatever yours weighs, it’s a stunning fish.👍

JayD

You'll have to forgive a daft old duffer, I didn't realise that you weren't posting from the UK and was wondering why you kept posting in metric :smash2:
The chart I posted puts your 42cm (16.5 inch) fish at around 2lb 8oz (1134g), so it's not that far out for a rough guide.

A cracking piece of fishing, looking forward to your final tally.

John.

The one and only Harvey

Blimey that many on lures including a couple big uns is very impressive well done 👍🏻

I fish with a 4" Lunker City Fin-S Fish Alewife, and quite a large hook. The obviously like a mothfull. Even the halfpounders attack the jig with vigour and determination. I'll try a Savage Gear crayfish imitation tonight. One thing I have never seen, is someone dropshotting a live lobworm. It should work perfectly. Maybe I should try.

s-l600.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I fish with a 4" Lunker City Fin-S Fish Alewife, and quite a large hook. The obviously like a mothfull. Even the halfpounders attack the jig with vigour and determination. I'll try a Savage Gear crayfish imitation tonight. One thing I have never seen, is someone dropshotting a live lobworm. It should work perfectly. Maybe I should try.

View attachment 41514

Looks a good lure that. I’ve not done much freshwater lure fishing but that sort of lure has got me a few perch and has caught me a lot at sea especially in sunnier climes.

Dropping shotting a worm is quite a popular technique known in some parts as walking the worm, des Taylor and John Bailey are a couple of names that that use the method. Not tried it myself that I recall but my uncle and cousin have and done well with not only perch but chub as well.