Perch - ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

I was wondering if anyone had any particular ways of handling a Perch to prevent you and the fish from injury?

I must admit I am a little apprehensive when handling them and as a result I usually end up juggling with them leaping about all over the place.

In a recent article I saw a picture of a perch being held with a hard grip pinching a large area if it's stomach; that did not look a good way as far as the fish was concerned.

Any views?

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Hey steve, i like to put my hand across the top of the fish flatening the dorsal then with my fingers holding down the gills (only gently though) that way the fish cant spike you [;)]

Tight lines [:D]

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by granjuiceymoose

Hey steve, i like to put my hand across the top of the fish flatening the dorsal then with my fingers holding down the gills (only gently though) that way the fish cant spike you [;)]

Same way as I hold them. Never really had a problem holding perch that way.

Alison

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by granjuiceymoose

Hey steve, i like to put my hand across the top of the fish flatening the dorsal then with my fingers holding down the gills (only gently though) that way the fish cant spike you
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too, only been cut once.[:)]

Alison

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve,

When picking small ones up get a hold from the belly side with your thumb on one flank and fingers on the other and as you close your grip fold/hold the front spine of the dorsal fin down. If you get the postioning right with your fingers and thumb past the pectoral fins then the gill covers won't get you either.
Larger ones, leave in the net and unhook from there [:)]

Dave

reveal13

Ok when you land a perch with your landing net gently pull the line up so it is taught against the fish and the head is slightly lifted then slip your hand over the fishes head and gently move your hand over the fish so that yuo cover the fishes dorsal and the gill rakers this way they lie flat and you dont get spiked or cut!!

or with very small prch same rule applies but you dont need the net just hold up the line (only small perch mind) and do the same again you wont get spiked

good fishing to you

peter

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by Dave
Larger ones, leave in the net and unhook from there [:)]

Gotta agree with that one. Had some nice sized perch this year and the bigger ones were the only ones that could have caused some grief.

If you want to be really careful, have an old wet towel near and hold them in that.

reveal13

hmmmm..............never use a towel of any sort on fish as it rubs off the thin film of mucous that protects their bodies its almost like our skin, it protects us from disease and so protects the fish from disease also!!!

be kind to the fish tight lines

peter

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by reveal13

never use a towel of any sort on fish as it rubs off the thin film of mucous that protects their bodies its almost like our skin, it protects us from disease and so protects the fish from disease also!!!

Agreed, but if its the difference between having a fish flapping around with a hook still in its mouth while you're tentatively trying to grab hold of it by a safe place, then I think it's best to try to unhook it quickly than risk the fish damaging its mouth (or probably its throat in the case of greedy perch) until you can hold it securely. If someone is a bit apprehensive about handling a fish with sharp spines and gill covers, they are most likely to do more damage by not handling the fish confidently, dropping it, etc. I'm always trying to be extra careful handling fish these days, to ensure their eyes don't get damaged, since they have no eyelids to protect them, I can think of no better way of damaging them by them being dropped on the floor by somebody who's a bit over cautious.

I'm not suggesting wrapping the fish up in a towel, just having the towel as a barrier between your fingers and the sharp bits. Is that fair comment?[:)][:)][:)]

Last edited:

reveal13

it certainly is, im not picking a fight over it, what u say is valid and ive seen it done too, but with dry towels also.
i suppose when youve been match fishing alot you dont really think about unhooking perch as youve done it so often.
lol

keep fishing

peter

Beebs

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. The more you handle them the less you worry about it.

I had a really great year this year and caught some lovely sized perch. In the end I was leaving the bigger ones in the landing net and using an unhooking mat 'cos unitl I get used to coming into contact with the bigger ones, I reckon it's best for me to put them on the mat.

The local lake that my fishing club own had a 5 pounder come out of there last year, and that's an awfully large amout of sharp bits!!!!!

Steve

Thanks folks, some good advice there [:)]

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

reveal13

hey beebs, where is this place that holds this 5 lb of spikes, can you tell me thaty sounds like ill have to give it a go (dribbles at prospect)

tight lines (with huge perch on the end)

peter

martin.

Account Locked
hi
i can catch & unhook the small perch at drayton couldnt find a carp though LOL

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Yeah i know of a perch coming out of the Tees at a particular point of 4lb 10oz N thats a nice perch but 5 is better [;)]

Tight lines [:D]

norm

if you get a perch
put it onto a concrete ground
stand on it
hold the line in two hands
a just pull untill the hook rips out

only joking lads sorry (lol)

i love perch
they have won me a couple of matches

Last edited:

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by reveal13

hey beebs, where is this place that holds this 5 lb of spikes, can you tell me thaty sounds like ill have to give it a go (dribbles at prospect)

tight lines (with huge perch on the end)

peter

Hi Peter. My local gravel pit is a place called Hollybush in Farnborough. I've fished there all year and caught some really nice sized perch. It holds big carp, big tench, big perch and big pike. The problem is that it is a notoriously difficult water. I've only managed to catch decent fish there because I put in so much time, overnights, weekends etc.

The rumour about the 5lb stripy I heard from a few different sources and I can well believe it. The lake looks a perfect fish venue, but I personally think that Farnborough Angling club don't maximise the place. If they stocked it and managed it better, they could make a killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.