Perch help

Nickbaker

My escape to reality
Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

I've been trying and trying to get a perch over 2lb mainly fishing the River Stour, has to be a river perch, but seem to be struggling, has anybody got any advice?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Which stour are we talking about? They got to be in there first! Where I fish on the Thames perch of that size are fairly common, usually get one or two a session just by float or feeder fishing maggots, bring in enough silvers in and the perch will follow with usually a few big uns amongst them. Live baits is often a good short cut though as is obviously more selective, or worms. Key for any approach is to attract the silvers first.

DFL

Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

I've been trying and trying to get a perch over 2lb mainly fishing the River Stour, has to be a river perch, but seem to be struggling, has anybody got any advice?
I assume you are talking about the Kentish Stour Nick? I’ve had perch up to 2lb from Grove Ferry dropshotting and there are fish of that size all along the stretch, one caught last week at Fordwich.

Nickbaker

My escape to reality
Site Supporter
Which stour are we talking about? They got to be in there first! Where I fish on the Thames perch of that size are fairly common, usually get one or two a session just by float or feeder fishing maggots, bring in enough silvers in and the perch will follow with usually a few big uns amongst them. Live baits is often a good short cut though as is obviously more selective, or worms. Key for any approach is to attract the silvers first.
Sorry its the Kentish Stour, I'll give that a go and see if it works, I've mainly been using worms

I assume you are talking about the Kentish Stour Nick? I’ve had perch up to 2lb from Grove Ferry dropshotting and there are fish of that size all along the stretch, one caught last week at Fordwich.
I've been fishing a lot at Grove Ferry but never dropshotting, which side do you fish from?

Silver fan 82

In my experience sometimes you have to get through the smaller ones first but maybe that depends on the venue?
Lobworm has always bought good results for me, or a small mepps style spinner.

DFL

Site Supporter
Sorry its the Kentish Stour, I'll give that a go and see if it works, I've mainly been using worms

I've been fishing a lot at Grove Ferry but never dropshotting, which side do you fish from?
for dropshotting I fish between the boats opposite the picnic area and my favourite spot by the sluice, can’t fish it before Oct. 1st though.
Worms definitely the way to go.👍

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Plucks gutter...? Down by the staging by the pub used to be good

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve been meaning to try that tucker, they call it walking the worm I believe. Does sound pretty deadly.

duudiz

Stream stalker
On the river I ledger a nice juicy lobworm to attract the decent perch.