Perch fishing

Itsdrew93

Just starting perch and pike fishing i know the best time of year to catch pike is winter but when is the best time for perch is it also winter or...

Silver fan 82

Just starting perch and pike fishing i know the best time of year to catch pike is winter but when is the best time for perch is it also winter or...
Alot of people tend to target Perch in the winter as alot of other species slow down during the colder months. Predators are still reasonably active as they still have to feed compared to the likes of carp and tench.
Good perch can be caught during the winter as even silver fish tend to shoal up tighter and feed less.
I have found that a better stamp of perch can be caught on baits like maggots and worm in the winter as other species are less active. Having said that I've caught good perch in the summer too but using maggots and worm you are more likely to catch silvers etc like this in summer.
Also perch don't like bright light so winter can be good due to lower light levels.
Pike and perch can also be at their best weights this time if year.
Hope this helps a bit?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think it’s a bit of a myth that winter is the best time for pike and perch. For biggest the fish it may be but not for ease of catching. I think it’s more of a traditional thing than anything else.

I’d say from my experience of fishing for perch and just experiencing pike behaviour (I don’t target them) that July through to end of October is by far the easiest time to catch them. Not on the hot days of course but in warm weather they are super fired up going after the silvers. Here on the Thames in such months a small live bait will almost always be hit quick time by perch and I experience anything from a couple to a dozen pike attacks on the silvers I catch on most sessions on some stretches. Sometimes when this happens if I’m with my grandad he gets out his “pike extractor” set up of a carp rod and a big silver spoon and it almost never fails to get hits. As soon as it gets cold around November the pike attacks tail off big time as the silvers become less widespread therefore so do the pike and lesser extent the perch. Also my cousin is into spinning for pike and perch and he definitely fairs better in the first half of the season as well although tbf he does get his fair share in the second half of the season as well to dispel the theory a bit!

On the pike front it’s a bit just theory for me as I don’t target them but it seems logical to me that if they are most active in attacking silvers whilst it’s warm then that’s the easiest time to catch them as their guards down. Given I do target perch I’m much more sure about them with the best fish we’ve had certainly coming when it’s warm.
1605956054817.jpeg
1605956063410.jpeg
1605956089997.jpeg

Itsdrew93

Alot of people tend to target Perch in the winter as alot of other species slow down during the colder months. Predators are still reasonably active as they still have to feed compared to the likes of carp and tench.
Good perch can be caught during the winter as even silver fish tend to shoal up tighter and feed less.
I have found that a better stamp of perch can be caught on baits like maggots and worm in the winter as other species are less active. Having said that I've caught good perch in the summer too but using maggots and worm you are more likely to catch silvers etc like this in summer.
Also perch don't like bright light so winter can be good due to lower light levels.
Pike and perch can also be at their best weights this time if year.
Hope this helps a bit?
Yh helps alot spot on mate thank you

Itsdrew93

I think it’s a bit of a myth that winter is the best time for pike and perch. For biggest the fish it may be but not for ease of catching. I think it’s more of a traditional thing than anything else.

I’d say from my experience of fishing for perch and just experiencing pike behaviour (I don’t target them) that July through to end of October is by far the easiest time to catch them. Not on the hot days of course but in warm weather they are super fired up going after the silvers. Here on the Thames in such months a small live bait will almost always be hit quick time by perch and I experience anything from a couple to a dozen pike attacks on the silvers I catch on most sessions on some stretches. Sometimes when this happens if I’m with my grandad he gets out his “pike extractor” set up of a carp rod and a big silver spoon and it almost never fails to get hits. As soon as it gets cold around November the pike attacks tail off big time as the silvers become less widespread therefore so do the pike and lesser extent the perch. Also my cousin is into spinning for pike and perch and he definitely fairs better in the first half of the season as well although tbf he does get his fair share in the second half of the season as well to dispel the theory a bit!

On the pike front it’s a bit just theory for me as I don’t target them but it seems logical to me that if they are most active in attacking silvers whilst it’s warm then that’s the easiest time to catch them as their guards down. Given I do target perch I’m much more sure about them with the best fish we’ve had certainly coming when it’s warm.
View attachment 88799
View attachment 88800
View attachment 88801
Thank you mate i use lures they still feed in winter tho right

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thank you mate i use lures they still feed in winter tho right
Yeah they do they just take more finding as they get much more localised when it's cold rather than spread out when it's warm. Do recall my cousin having a really good lure session in the depths of last winter so it's definitely doable just seems to take more searching than the rest of the year 👍🏻

Itsdrew93

Yeah they do they just take more finding as they get much more localised when it's cold rather than spread out when it's warm. Do recall my cousin having a really good lure session in the depths of last winter so it's definitely doable just seems to take more searching than the rest of the year 👍🏻
Yh thank you mate

Itsdrew93

So lures still work in winter yh

davylad

Site Supporter
A members lake I was in, held some big perch, in fact the few I caught there wasn't one under 3 lb odd. A couple of perch specimen lads joined from a couple of hundred miles away, so they must have been informed about the water. They caught some very good fish to almost 5lb, and a lot of them were caught using lug worms that the beach anglers use.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
hand blitzed lobworms into a mush, mix with leam, best feed in the world and lob tails always my fav for bigger perch! good luck

wow never heard of using lugworm as bait! wonder how the freshwater fish got a taste for lugworm though the blood/iodene/salt mix may well be easy to home in on :unsure:

mind you i have never heard of people salting and freezing ragworm till this week so always learning in this game!

davylad

Site Supporter
I remember a very talented young angler years ago ginger, he was just starting to get some good results in the local matches. He went to University to take a degree in marine biology, and I recall him doing part of his studies disecting bream from the river Ancholme. He told us most of them were full of ragworm, and it was their main diet. The Ancholme flows into the Humber, and it's abundant with them just outside the sluice gates, so they're obviously in the river too.

R0B

The waters I fish, the big perch disappear during warmer months and feed more actively Sept to March. Like sprouts they seem better after the first frost. This is lures btw - in summer you'd probably be better off with worms as lures will pick up non-stop bites from wasps.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
does make me chuckle that my brain considered sea baits v coarse baits, we know fish need salt as well from snails etc, might have to give it a go one day as i have frozen black lug in the freezer.

i love this fishing malarky!

DFL

Site Supporter
I've had half a dozen perch over 3lb all during late Autumn/winter months. Interestingly I have caught all of them during the middle of the day, many in bright sunlight.