Perch fishing at Don's pond, East Hestlerton

Iamspartacus

Hi. Was just wondering if anybody has had any success with catching decent perch
(1 1/2lb +) at Dons pond. I got told by somebody that they had caught a good few decent perch there last winter. It's not somewhere I generally fish, but was just hoping somebody caught clarify if the rumours are true.
Regard Jon

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Who told you this -can you describe that person. Was he tall, lean, full head of hair- had all the latest gear, dressed professionally and knew what he was doing like a fully oiled precision angling machine. ;)
I go there sometimes

david white

Site Supporter
There’s a resident perch that has appeared a few times recently during Malton and Norton winter league matches ( Dons pond is the cover venue for the Derwent which has been flooded for what seems like forever )
I think the best weight was 3lb 5oz
As the matches are silver fish only it’s been caught on single red maggots or similar

Iamspartacus

Who told you this -can you describe that person. Was he tall, lean, full head of hair- had all the latest gear, dressed professionally and knew what he was doing like a fully oiled precision angling machine. ;)
I go there sometimes
He was tall, lean, full head of hair, had all the latest gear, dressed professionally, but I'm not sure he knew what he was doing like a fully oiled machine!!
He was fishing at Low Marishes and likes gardening... Could this be you?

Iamspartacus

There’s a resident perch that has appeared a few times recently during Malton and Norton winter league matches ( Dons pond is the cover venue for the Derwent which has been flooded for what seems like forever )
I think the best weight was 3lb 5oz
As the matches are silver fish only it’s been caught on single red maggots or similar
Thankyou. Do you know if it has a decent head of perch or is that one a bit of a stand out fish?

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
He was tall, lean, full head of hair, had all the latest gear, dressed professionally, but I'm not sure he knew what he was doing like a fully oiled machine!!
He was fishing at Low Marishes and likes gardening... Could this be you?
Well it was not me then HATE GARDENING :rolleyes:
I fish there too, Low Marishes.
I have had Perch at Dons up to a pound but rare.Its the Roach there which I like to target, over a pound is not uncommon. Also some cracking Rudd and Tench, Ide too are growing. Had and landed Carp on 6m Whip there. BUT it does have some of the biggest Gudgeon I have caught in many a year. David is right about the Derwent, it looks like its Dons or nothing this side of the New Year- but when ?

Iamspartacus

I fish there too, Low Marishes.
I have had Perch at Dons up to a pound but rare.Its the Roach there which I like to target, over a pound is not uncommon. Also some cracking Rudd and Tench, Ide too are growing. Had and landed Carp on 6m Whip there. BUT it does have some of the biggest Gudgeon I have caught in many a year. David is right about the Derwent, it looks like its Dons or nothing this side of the New Year- but when ?
Thankyou for that. I don't think I'll be going there for the perch then! Might scale down to get myself a record gudgeon

david white

Site Supporter
Thankyou for that. I don't think I'll be going there for the perch then! Might scale down to get myself a record gudgeon

To be honest that’s how the perch has been caught during the Malton matches !!

David is right about the Derwent, it looks like its Dons or nothing this side of the New Year- but when ?

I’m banned from the garden ......
only downside is lack of obtaining lobworms

I’m going to try Amotherby Abbie lake tomorrow ( or I plan to anyway but my best thought out plans have a bad habit of going t*ts up !! ) guessing it’s going to be hard going but ....... better than a workday whatever I catch )

Iamspartacus

To be honest that’s how the perch has been caught during the Malton matches !!

I’m banned from the garden ......
only downside is lack of obtaining lobworms

I’m going to try Amotherby Abbie lake tomorrow ( or I plan to anyway but my best thought out plans have a bad habit of going t*ts up !! ) guessing it’s going to be hard going but ....... better than a workday whatever I catch )

Thankyou David White. Gudgeon = top Perch bait
Oldmanriver you need to get unbanned from gardening...Just for winter at least

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Thankyou David White. Gudgeon = top Perch bait
Oldmanriver you need to get unbanned from gardening...Just for winter at least
Not me thats "banned" its David.
I do the "industrial" garden work while "she" does the green finger stuff.
O' and I kill house plants :cry: