Perch disease ?‍♂️

62tucker

Site Supporter
Anyone expert know about or seen perch or course fish diseases.
I have always had fish. In tanks when I was a kid to ponds etc. Had a pet pike for a year when I was 12 years old. 57 now and still have fish. About 8 years ago my son got some perch fry. Tiny dots of things And keep 6 in a tank in his bedroom For 3/4 years until 1 day they all died. All same day. We blamed high pressure and thunderstorms where going on and warm water. Not sure real reason but we were ok with that.
so he bought bigger tank. Better filter etc and we caught 4 tiny perch at a local quarry. So off he went again. To now 3/4 years later.

last week He said they didn’t look right. Not swimming properly. Like shivering when they moved. 2 were still eating worms. Other 2 not. Anyway he got me out of bed at 11:30 pm to say 1 had started to lie on side. ?. So up I get and the 2 bad one were took outside to where I have a 80litre tub and they were put in there with big airstone in from my pond. Friday morning 1 was dead so being pets it got a proper burial. Now expecting all othe 3 to go same way. But they are all still alive in the 80litre tub with air blasting in. But I don’t think they will live but have survived another 6 days with this shivering movement.
has anyone seen this type of movement from any fish. Sometimes there tail sort of curls so there like a half moon shape.
never seen it in a fish in 40 odd years.
told him next time it’s fancy goldfish for his tank. But he loves his perch. I could tell he was gutted.
he changes 2 buckets of water every week. Big fluval external filter. Syphons rubbish off bottom When does water change. Worms every day.
any ideas ?

sorry if it’s long winded

John Step

Site Supporter
There were years I never saw a perch due to the perch dying out. 70s I think.
Up to 2 years ago I had good perch fishing in two or three local waters and the last two seasons zilch.

crusty

Do they ever get anything else besides worms?
Maybe it's a defficiency in their diet.

Ian

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I have seen perch wipe'outs a few times. Our local lake saw all the big perch die at the same time and another it was all the 4oz bracket fish do it. I think it is one of those things so dont be to hRd on yourselves. I have had it with ghost carp too

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Perch are not one if the longest living species. And they do seem to have cycles.
We very rarely had Perch over 1lb in our club water, around 3 acres. Then once we made the decision, after consultation with the EA, to feed regular with pellet, the Perch went to over 3lb in a very short time. We now have an abundance of smaller Perch around 8oz, numbers of which we have never had before. Obviously the Perch are feeding on the species that are feeding on the pellet. They seem to have benefitted just as much as the Carp, Bream, Tench, Roach. etc.
We are lucky to have the EA net our water every year for us, they take away all our unwanted fish, mainly small silvers. Which they use to stock other waters. This also gives us an idea of the stock in our water.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
It may well be down to the pH value of your water. Perch fry have a greater tolerance to lower pH values than when they get older. When they are a couple of years old the ph value needs to be between 6.5 and 9. Young perch can survive in pH 4 but will then die.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Best description of Perch lives that I ever heard was, "they live fast and die young".

pies

Site Supporter
I remember in the 80’s we never saw large perch around here. 8oz was the biggest i ever saw. Couple of winters back our winter fish matches were utterly dominated by big perch 2lb were common and stamp was around 1lb. You need 30lb to frame brilliant days. Sadly they seem to be dying out no idea why though

62tucker

Site Supporter
It may well be down to the pH value of your water. Perch fry have a greater tolerance to lower pH values than when they get older. When they are a couple of years old the ph value needs to be between 6.5 and 9. Young perch can survive in pH 4 but will then die.
I check water peramaters When I check my pond. Only difference his tank always has a lower KH than garden pond. They live mainly on worms and maggots. We do feed them sinking koi pellets but never really eat them. Drop a moving worm in and bang. They get into predator mode.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Do they ever get anything else besides worms?
Maybe it's a defficiency in their diet.

Ian
Could be but for all 4 to go funny on same day ? He puts pellets in but they never seem to eat them.
he’s got cooling fans in for summer so does look after them.
we see what happens to last 3. They are a hard fish

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The Severn has seen a boom time for Perch of all sizes for the past four seasons or more now and it is rare to not see them hitting the shoals of fry in the margins.Some really big fish have come out to the Lower lure anglers but are usually kept quiet due to the size of the Pike & Zander in the same areas as well.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I was researching(googling) earlier, trying to find out how long they live. Came across one site that claimed they can live for up to 22years. The next paragraph stated that they were excellent fish for a community aquarium as they are a friendly docile species.
I clicked off at that

nomorelongwalks

Mark Spitz
Site Supporter
The old sailing dock at Surrey docks (now called Quays) used to hold massive perch to over 4lb (Dave the fish and Total will know which dock I mean).
There were even bigger ones that used to follow the one you hooked up to the surface.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Friendly ?‍♂️ The 1st lot he had. He had 6. And noticed a small one was getting bullied. When he woke up in morning it had 1 eye missing

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I check water peramaters When I check my pond. Only difference his tank always has a lower KH than garden pond. They live mainly on worms and maggots. We do feed them sinking koi pellets but never really eat them. Drop a moving worm in and bang. They get into predator mode.
I would think it has more to do with water quality/environment than diet. Different species require different nutrient/KH/PH levels. It all can change dramatically over night if you have certain plants in your tank/pond.