Penrose platform legs

corkycat

I know this subject has arisen previously, regarding the Penrose platform. I'm thinking of ordering one but I'm a little bit wary of the legs only being 19mm. This is half the size of the legs on say, a Matrix platform. Has anyone got a Penrose? Is it capable of holding a biggish bloke and a biggish box? Is it stable and robust despite it having 4 x 19mm legs?

Many thanks in advance.

Dropon

I had one ( recently sold ) don’t think you will have problem with the legs, it is very sturdy and stable. Only reason I sold it was because type of fishing changed. Also had a single wheel and 2 handles to convert to a barrow. . Like the very short 25 yard walk or park behind peg. Advancing years I’m afraid.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
When they were the leaders from when they first came out lots of the anglers in Ireland had them some weighed in over 25 stone so the platform would take it but the legs might sink in a bit.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I'm going to be getting one soon, so I've read a few reviews of them, and they have a reputation for being well made and solid in use. They couldn't be anything but solid really, because a stability failure of a platform out in the water, would have caused major issues. As long as you are not planning to use 36mm compatible accessories, then it's easy to fit a host of different accessories, such as side trays from various makes to them, using adapter rings that often come with the accessory, or are available for a few pounds.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Same size legs on my Rigger platform too - and that's rock-solid
19mm is the same size as the original Preston boxes used, and I don't recall them being particularly unstable either

The current craze for 36mm diameter legs is purely down to marketing and gullible anglers who think they're necessary - don't forget all legs have integral mud-feet these days and the size of the leg isn't all that relevant.
Thousands of Penrose platforms have been sold and I don't recall anybody complaining that they're unsteady once erected.

Simon

Gordy

If you have any fears over weight bearing, etc, get in touch with Mark Penrose himself, he is straight as they come and will tell you exactly what you want to know about load bearing and stability. From my personal opinion though, I wouldn’t have anything else, they are fantastic bits of kit and as a trolley they are untouchable. I’ve never had any issue of any kind with it, It’s like fishing off an oil rig! The platforms are steel remember, not aluminium, you’d need to be doing something really stupid to bend them.

Arch

Site Supporter
I know this subject has arisen previously, regarding the Penrose platform. I'm thinking of ordering one but I'm a little bit wary of the legs only being 19mm. This is half the size of the legs on say, a Matrix platform. Has anyone got a Penrose? Is it capable of holding a biggish bloke and a biggish box? Is it stable and robust despite it having 4 x 19mm legs?

Many thanks in advance.
I'm 18 and a half stone a and I sit on an AS1 box. I've never had a problem. The only issue is getting inserts for attachments.

post-57067-0-88985000-1442311085.jpg

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I'm 18 and a half stone a and I sit on an AS1 box. I've never had a problem. The only issue is getting inserts for attachments.

post-57067-0-88985000-1442311085.jpg
Very clear there mate - I can see right to bottom of your (empty) keepnet. :D:D

rudd

Site Supporter

Many thanks in advance.
Very very strong and stable https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/project-finished-to-cheer-everyone-up.218925/

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
No not yet, I will do, but was just going to wait a little just to see how things pan out.
Ok mate, would be good to have you along for the day, proper stone pegs at East Stoke nice wide part of the Trent, parking right behind the peg too. :D :upthumb: