Pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian White

Big E
Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me what bait you use if you are feeding pellets of any sort.Also can you give me some advice about rigs to use.
ALL THE BEST
Ian White

jonesr

Ian,the obvious answer is PELLETS (soft).[8D] But you can use any bait with the pellet as feed.But dont overdo it!

Ron J

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Last edited:

splodger

I use the expander pellets for hookbait and normal pellets for feed.
At this time of year i use the 'micro' pellets as feed and feed little and often.
The expander ones are very good and stay on the hook very well (even on the bomb or feeder).
It says on the bag that the best way to prepare them is to soak in a generous amount of water overnight, drain the excess water off the morning after and put in a bag.
You then slightly squeeze one to make it sink perfectly.
Alternatively, just before setting off fishing, put some pellets in a sieve and pour boiling water over them, then pour cold water over them and put in a bag. They will be perfect sinkers when you start fishing.
The downside to the last method is that all the natural juices from the pellets will have been washed away by the hot water so simply pour some liquid pellet or any flavouring over them and shake the bag before fishing.
As for the rigs, it all depends what depth you are fishing - For margins and shallow water i would use something like a preston PB2 (4 x 10) with the shot all bunched together (4 No.11's) and a size 16 hook.
For deeper water i would use a preston PB4 (4 x 10 or 4 x 12) again bulking your shot together and using nothing smaller than a 16 hook

SPLODGER

patjbyrne

have you try,ed to do your expanders in jelly.

try this:

take 1pt of expander,s
place in a bait box with a (sealed lid)

boil the kettle,

take 1 pkt strawberry jelly and put into a bowl add a small amount of hot water to melt jelly. reboil the kettle and top up the jelly to make a pint. pour over the expanders and leave for 20 mins,s. put the lid on the bait box shake and then turn over(so the lid is underneath) leave on the side and then you need to turn the box over 2 or 3 times over the next hour or so, allow to go cold and then place in the fridge overnight, you will then have pellets that will sink and can also be used on the feeder. (you can also add red food dye to turn the pellets red, add a cap full before you put the jelly mix onto the pellets)

pat j byrne

Steve

Welcome Pat.
Sounds like an interesting idea, I'll give it a go [:)]

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

patjbyrne

this time of year (spring) If you want to use pellets as bait use the small 4m expanders on the hook ( hooked in the side not the top) but feed micro pellets and a small amount of fishmeal g,bait.

Tip: feed half a cup of micro,s at the start and top up after 15 min,s with quarter of a cup and a small amount of fishmeal, repeat every 15 min,s. or refeed after you have had a few carp

pat j byrne

brady

if im feeding pellets i just tend to dye a tin of corn brown to use as hook bait it stays on the hook much better than expanders

the devil created work to stop me fishing!

Status
Not open for further replies.