pellets

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If you have a nice shallow fast chub or barbel type stretch then there’s nothing wrong banding a 14mm spicy sausage Pellet O and trotting that

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
i think that would be bang on taff cause the areas where i intend to try it are the middle severn and warks avon . the areas i fish are always full of barbel anglers fishing big pellet etc

OldTaff

Site Supporter

Pre-drilled and you get a mix of hair stops in the tub - really well flavoured.

I fish double 8mm on a long hair and the local carp go mental for them in the summer.

Robwooly

Both 4mm expander and then banded 4mm and 6mm when my expanders dried out. Think I tried expanders on @carphauler's suggestion as he has some good bags of Chublets and Roach. Just standard Coppens and Halibuts. I think @Robwooly also sometimes fishes pellet, I've read his blog and he's had some big Roach out the Severn and 20+ Chub bags from the Warks Avon on it if I'm right.
I trot pellet a lot this time of year but much depends on the river and indeed the type of swim too, just had a 2lb roach yesterday from a low clear river so it's still working (see blog section) :)

This blog post may help more to anyone just trying it out.
Trotting Pellet For Big Roach

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@Robwooly
Hi Rob. I think I've read nearly all your Blog Articles by now & they've been funny, entertaining, well thought out, feature lovely photography & thoroughly educational. They've definitely made me rethink how I approach my river & stillwater angling going forward.
I admire your minimal tackle roving approach which must make for a more enjoyable day on any River.
I also followed the link at the top of your Blog Pages to your Art Work & I must say, it's very good.
I think I'll be purchasing some Tench & Roach Art Work from you in the near future.
With regard to Trotting Banded 4mm & 6mm Pellets could you please share what silicone tubing you use to make your own Pellet Bands?
Many Thanks
John

Robwooly

@Robwooly
Hi Rob. I think I've read nearly all your Blog Articles by now & they've been funny, entertaining, well thought out, feature lovely photography & thoroughly educational. They've definitely made me rethink how I approach my river & stillwater angling going forward.
I admire your minimal tackle roving approach which must make for a more enjoyable day on any River.
I also followed the link at the top of your Blog Pages to your Art Work & I must say, it's very good.
I think I'll be purchasing some Tench & Roach Art Work from you in the near future.
With regard to Trotting Banded 4mm & 6mm Pellets could you please share what silicone tubing you use to make your own Pellet Bands?
Many Thanks
John
Thanks John that's kind of you to say, it's just a bit of fun, keeping it simple but thinking outside the box seems to work for me, the bands couldn't be simpler as I'll use whatever is on sale, like Henry Ford I'll have any model as long as it's black, at the moment I have got packs of both Dave Harrell and Drennan silicon tubing, they are the 9-10cm packets of various sizes, I bin the large diameter ones, keep the thin ones for floats and obviously cut the medium size ones for banding. A couple of sizes will fit a 6mm pellet due to the stretch and if they become loose after a while I'll replace them.

I'll pre cut these thinly to bands and keep them in an old shot refill tub so that they are ready to hand if I am wading, as you will lose a few during a session, I also keep a spare packet unopened just in case, they weigh nothing after all. I prefer any tubing that's black even when fishing a red pellet, the last few big roach have been on a robin red banded with black tubing which kind of makes you wonder about the natural look but if the black tubing is cut thin enough I expect it doesn't show much against dark red.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
If the black tubing is cut thin enough I expect it doesn't show much against dark red.
Thanks for getting back to me Rob. The Pellet Band info is of great help.
As you say in your Blog post, your homemade bands are more flush with the edges of the pellet creating a less obtrusive silhouette as compared to other pellet bands.
This surely helps presentation in clear water to help fool wary\inspecting Chub & Roach. The fish probably think the black is some dirt on the pellet but I believe fish see things differently depending on depth & the amount of light.
I must say your Matchstick tactics are very clever & hope to put them to good use in the future.
Tightlines & keep up the good work Rob :upthumb: