Pellets. What would you recomend???

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott essery

'Silver man'
After the Cudmore match at the weekend and after trying 5 different types of pellets this season (with no noticable diference), I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys thought of the Cudmore pellets. And also get an idea of your favourits both soft hookers, expanders and those for feed.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Scott,

Personally i thought the cudmore pellets were C##P but when fished with there paste it was better.I think the paste is made up from ground down pellets and fishmeal.They did break down quite quickly though which led me to believe constant feeding of them may have had a better effect.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Polepot

Poles
Scott,

I only used them as a groundbait fishing my own paste over them and as Keith has said they were c**p. but I have to admit it could have been Me,My paste,or the venue all of which contributed to a C**P day.

I am going to try some of the elements tommorow and I'll be more constructive with my finding then.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Andy Gratton

Hi all, regarding this subject of pellets, has anyone heard of a product called "Jelly pellets" if so can anyone tell me who makes them, the reason for asking is I am currently fishing a series of matches which are fished on a 3 hour time limit in the evening, So far I have blanked 2 weighed-in 1, but 1 person always seems to manage to catch regardless and by judicious enquiry found out they are using the said jelly pellet dipped in a hardner to stop nuisance fish (bits) last match however it almost cost them a complete Top 3 kit as the large double figure carp attached to it in the landing net decided it didn't want to be weighed after all, Top 3 was recovered following day minus the fish, I have tried most of the main bait people but can't find any info .
hope someone can help with this one,
Cheers
Andy (aka anglerfishuk) forgot my id and password cos been off line a while :)))

Gone Fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Andy and welcome back on board icon_smile.gif

Jelly pellets are to the best of my knowledge homemade.

Basically you mix a sachet of gelatine with boiling water, pour over a bowl of pellets, let soak and then and mix to a paste. You can add Skopex or other additives at this point.

Once done you need to roll the mixture out with a rolling pin to a thickness of around 10mm and then using a punch make the pellets.

Allow to dry and use whilst fresh. I have heard they don't keep too well so only make what you need.

Have fun,

Delia (Dave) Smith icon_smile_big.gif

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
there is another way
grind trout pellet into powder
put in a mug you dont need much
mix gelatine pour in and mix till stiff
pour out on a plate spread out to what thickness you want
stick in fridge for 20 min its ready, peel off cut into
squares ready for your punch

dave
scouse

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave & Dave/scouse like you said is spot on but instead of the gelatine try the Jelly mix's, different flavours from s/market strawberry's a gud-un.

teepee.

chris63

icon_smile.gif

There is a company that makes Jelly Pellets as I'm sure I saw them reviewed in one of the weekly comics a month or so back. It might be worth dropping them both an email to see if they can tell you more.

Chris

Catch ya soon

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave/S it depends on how much powder/pellet your doing but just follow the pack instuctions mix jelly with requied amount of boiling water, if you're only doing some for hookers just use half the jelly and half the water, a block of jelly to pint of hot water then add your powder to a nice paste flatten out stick it in the fridge to set, you can now get jelly in packets like crystals bit like the gelatine but iv'e not used that yet, if you try the crystals let me no how you go on.

Cheers.

p.s. if you make a mess of it put some cream on and give it the kids icon_smile_big.gif

teepee.

scouse

'River Man'
hi teepee
a bit late for that
ones 30 the other28 i'll eat it myself LOL

dave
scouse

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Sorry Scott forgot you mate. you can just feed normal pellet and use the jelly flavour for change hook bait, or do 2 lots, i say 2lots cos its easier to get the consistancy right with the smaller amounts, use one lot to punch out for hookers and the other for feed just use the kitchen scissors to cut into strips then into little squares,you can also use the little squares on the hook,

teepee.

Nige

Thats explained it for me icon_smile.gif, Ive been taking the big blocks from a packet of Asda strawberry and pushing a pellet inside each oneicon_smile_clown.gif

(they last for hours in the water)

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

Andy Gratton

Hi all thanks for all the replies, will have to experiment ,but will also follow up Chris63's suggestion about the e-mails, I think somebody told me they were made commercially,
catch you all later
Andy

Gone Fishing

MALC

Hi Scott,

To answer your question regards Pellets icon_smile_question.gif
quote:And also get an idea of your favourits both soft hookers, expanders and those for feed.

Personally i use the following :

FEED PELLETS
Halibut pellets in sizes 4mm to 8mm
Betaine pellets in sizes 4mm to 6mm
High Oil Trouw pellets in sizes 2mm to 6mm
Omega pond pellets
Ringer/Bag-up/Miracle baits exspanders (all sizes)
Cats & Dogs (various flavour's and colours)
CSL pellets 5mm (still playing around with these)

HOOKER PELLETS
All the above (be it straight hooking/glueing/banding/bayoneted or drilled)
And various soft hooker pellets in the tubs as well as all sizes of SillyBait Pellets.

All the feed pellets i either use as they come or i will add my own flavour's to them.
I also tend to mix sizes and not just feed any 1 size.

The only time i will feed Carp pellets is if thats all that is allowed at a fishery then they get treated to a flavour.

If pellet is banned at a venue i tend to punch meat into pellets from 2mm to 6mm and will feed this as well as riddled meat.

I don't use any of the Sensas or VDE pellets as i dont like the price.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Hi All

Malc you mention the tubs of soft hookable pellets, can you tell me how the hell you put them on the hook, I bought a couple of tubs of the Van den eyd hookable pellets but thay just fall apart when I try and put them on the hook

Dai Fish

scouse

'River Man'
hi dia
try using a baiting needle
put the needle through the pellet put hook on it pull hook through
and twist hook dont use a hook to big for the pellet
hope this helps

dave
scouse

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dai,
Ive been trying the VDE Juicy pellets that come in screw top jars (given to me to try by my local tackle shop)and have to say that i've been very impressed by them,easy to hook and can be used on a waggler or feeder.Although already glugged with a flavour,i've topped mine up with GLM extract with no adverse effects.Just ask Trev & Geoff.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

Dai,
quote: Malc you mention the tubs of soft hookable pellets, can you tell me how the hell you put them on the hook, I bought a couple of tubs of the Van den eyd hookable pellets but they just fall apart when I try and put them on the hook

Personally i use the Cats & Dogs, Force and Ringer hookers as they are the best one's i've found in the tubs.

If it's the VDE Supercarp hookers you've tried then Scouse's way is the best way but prior to doing that put a damp tissue in the top of the box as this should make them moist enough not to split when either the baiting needle or hook goes in them.

Another way is to use them on a bayonet as this does not tend to split them at all.

Must admit i've not used the VDE Juicy Pellet as i think they are a bit pricey but most people that i know have used them recon they are good.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Status
Not open for further replies.