Pellets/Expanders on the hook

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Turn the pellets into paste with boiling water. For expanders you can dye them black and soak in halibut oil.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Better off banding hard pellets in my opinion as there is more hook point showing so more chance of hooking the fish.

cwebb4

Why not use Sonubaits pro expanders and add halibut oil to them - something like this maybe ?

Already addressed this- sonubaits expanders are nothing like halibut pellets and halibut oil smells nothing like halibut pellets. It is oil derived from fish, not a liquid form of halibut pellet at all. it smells like cod liver oil

cwebb4

Or you could pump expanders and draw the oil into the pellet, if you feel it will be better. I've tried all sorts of additives with expanders, but never do any better than straight from the bag.
this doesnt produce a pellet that even remotely resembles a halibut pellet. I actually tested this last night at a comercial. I was catching really well on paste made from halibut pellets but plagued by silvers. tried a halibut pellet soaked sonubaits expander and not even a bite.

cwebb4

Turn the pellets into paste with boiling water. For expanders you can dye them black and soak in halibut oil.
Paste doesnt have the properties of a pellet and again....halibut oil doesnt smell anything like halibut pellets.
Does anyone actually have any experience with the bait they recommend? lol

chris1967

Site Supporter
Clearly they are much more attractive smell and flavour wise.
I also feel that soft baits work much better than hard ones so banding a hard pellet isn’t a good option.
Nah bud , hard banded pellet for summer months and expanded for the winter .if you want the expanders to smell soak em in halibut oil (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That’s promising then as planning to try them on the severn later in the summer. My thinking is that they offer a bit more versatility in that you can use one rig/hook for various baits rather than faffing with different hairs, bands etc.
You want some mitten crabs to take with ya pal. 😡. Oh I do hope those buggers have disappeared this year. They cut through your hair rig and occasionally your main line. You can’t keep a bait in the water for more than 15 minutes. I wish Barbel ate them. 🙄

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Paste doesnt have the properties of a pellet and again....halibut oil doesnt smell anything like halibut pellets.
Does anyone actually have any experience with the bait they recommend? lol

I have had great success with the One to One paste and even better results with Sonubaits Fibre Paste (currently unavailable due to supply chain issues)

Am about to give Copdock Mill Peg No.1 Mayhem Green as a paste on an estate lake I have permission to fish targeting tench - tried a small batch and it seems to be spot on for consistency but only time will tell

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You want some mitten crabs to take with ya pal. 😡. Oh I do hope those buggers have disappeared this year. They cut through your hair rig and occasionally your main line. You can’t keep a bait in the water for more than 15 minutes. I wish Barbel ate them. 🙄
Haha no thanks we’ve not long got rid of the Crays here, well they’re still here in places!

davylad

Site Supporter
Nah bud , hard banded pellet for summer months and expanded for the winter .if you want the expanders to smell soak em in halibut oil (y)
I disagree chris mate, I was more or less the only one catching yesterday, (not bragging, honestly) and I was using expanders in the main, along with paste. The other anglers there would almost certainly have been using a hard pellet, as I know most of them, and know their habits. On the other hand I might just have been lucky, as one of them suggested. :love: