Pellets/Expanders on the hook

cwebb4

I'd like to use a really nice halibut style pellet on the hook but after soaking halibut pellets for all manner of periods of time i cannot get them to a point where they are hookable and stay on the hook. i know blown pellets were a bit of a thing for some time but they certainly dont work when done with dynamite baits halibut pellets or coppens no matter how they are soaked. Anyway i decided to see what the new sonubaits expander pellets are like as they look a bit darker than most expanders and supposedly smell quite strong. They do smell but they don't smell like a halibut pellet. Halibut pellets have that yeasty fishmeal smell(this is the key to the effectiveness i feel). The sonubaits 4mm expanders smell fishy in a different way, not yeasty, more like fresh fish slime. 2mm's slightly better. I have also purchased some Dynamite pure marine halibut liquid pellet but it also is nothing like halibut pellets. It's very very close to cod liver oil in smell, in fact i think it may very well be exactly that.

Does anyone know of any expanders that actually resemble halibut pellets in smell. Or does anyone know of anyway of preparing halibut pellets for the hook so that they dont are actually hookable. Id like to use 4mm's on the hook.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Dynamite do halibut hooker pellets. Haven’t tried them for what they’re really intended for yet but have caught roach on them.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
Doubt you will ever be able to get them to be hookable due to how they are

cwebb4

Dynamite do halibut hooker pellets. Haven’t tried them for what they’re really intended for yet but have caught roach on them.
I tried these last summer and they are easily spongy and firm enough for hookbaits but they dont quite smell like a halibut pellet either, they smell more artificial.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I tried these last summer and they are easily spongy and firm enough for hookbaits but they dont quite smell like a halibut pellet either, they smell more artificial.
Yes I agree they don’t smell quite as strong but I’d imagine amongst feed of the real thing they should work

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Most commercials don't allow you to feed halibut pellets and given that most anglers feed coarse pellets there's little point in feeding halibut pellets for two reasons, one they are heavier and sink at a different rate, which means they are more difficult for the fish to suck up and 2, they take much longer to break down, which is one of the reasons Sketterings pellets work so well.

If the fishery does allow you to feed halibut pellets drill them and pull the bait band into the pellet if you feel that it will offer you any advantage over a simple banded pellet. Alternatively grind some halibut pellets up and make a halibut paste up.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^^ As above. I can’t think that using a halibut pellet over a standard pellet would be any beneficial unless I was fishing for Barbel on a river. And then I’d use a banded hard pellet. 🤷‍♂️

cwebb4

Most commercials don't allow you to feed halibut pellets and given that most anglers feed coarse pellets there's little point in feeding halibut pellets for two reasons, one they are heavier and sink at a different rate, which means they are more difficult for the fish to suck up and 2, they take much longer to break down, which is one of the reasons Sketterings pellets work so well.

If the fishery does allow you to feed halibut pellets drill them and pull the bait band into the pellet if you feel that it will offer you any advantage over a simple banded pellet. Alternatively grind some halibut pellets up and make a halibut paste up.
All of the fisheries I go to allow halibut pellets. They are much more attractive than coarse pellets smell and flavour wise.

Impossible to drill 2,3 and 4 mm’s, which is what I use.

cwebb4

^^^ As above. I can’t think that using a halibut pellet over a standard pellet would be any beneficial unless I was fishing for Barbel on a river. And then I’d use a banded hard pellet. 🤷‍♂️
Clearly they are much more attractive smell and flavour wise.
I also feel that soft baits work much better than hard ones so banding a hard pellet isn’t a good option.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Must say I've never entertained halibuts on stillwaters only ever used them on the Wye and Severn. Bought the hookable ones for them as well but thus far I've only used them once on the Thames just to see if they'd work with hemp. They don't seem to work as well as dark coloured sweet or fish meal hookables but a few roach did fall for them. Can't see why they wouldn't work amongst a pile of real halibuts on a river that sees a lot of them.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Must say I've never entertained halibuts on stillwaters only ever used them on the Wye and Severn. Bought the hookable ones for them as well but thus far I've only used them once on the Thames just to see if they'd work with hemp. They don't seem to work as well as dark coloured sweet or fish meal hookables but a few roach did fall for them. Can't see why they wouldn't work amongst a pile of real halibuts on a river that sees a lot of them.
We used to catch on the tidal Trent on soft halibut pellets and probably still would if it weren’t for the sodding mitten crabs. I hope they’ve disappeared this year. 😡😡

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
We used to catch on the tidal Trent on soft halibut pellets
That’s promising then as planning to try them on the severn later in the summer. My thinking is that they offer a bit more versatility in that you can use one rig/hook for various baits rather than faffing with different hairs, bands etc.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I use halibut pellets at commericals (if allowed) especially on bomb rigs. I have never even thought of hooking them directly so simply band them.
Seems to work ok for me.

davylad

Site Supporter
Or you could pump expanders and draw the oil into the pellet, if you feel it will be better. I've tried all sorts of additives with expanders, but never do any better than straight from the bag.

Bob Astill

Site Supporter
Have you tried to pump some with a warm gelatine mix and make like a jelly pellet i do it with different flavered jellys?