Pellet waggler

davej1981

Is there a reason for using a pellet waggler over a standard waggler when pellet fishing up in the water? Having 0 waggler gear atm i had to improvise to save a blank when i found an old insert waggler, about a 2aaa in my box. I fished shallow with hard pellet with success. This makes me ask the question before i rush out and buy some pellet wagglers or is it ok to use a standard waggler

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Is there a reason for using a pellet waggler over a standard waggler when pellet fishing up in the water? Having 0 waggler gear atm i had to improvise to save a blank when i found an old insert waggler, about a 2aaa in my box. I fished shallow with hard pellet with success. This makes me ask the question before i rush out and buy some pellet wagglers or is it ok to use a standard waggler
I think the idea behind the pellet waggler is to have a highly loaded float that is physically quite small and is designed in such a way that when it enters the water it does so with bare minimum disturbance and does not dive but rather is ready to show a bite almost instantly.

The new Preston ones (I bought a few) are mind blowing, the 2g and 3g are tiny yet cast like a dream and are just ready to show a bite within a second or two. I think they are well worth the money and my local tackle shop cannot get enough of the 2g & 3G in.

Nothing wrong with a regular waggler, I think many folk use broad tipped loaded floats for pellet waggler work.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
Pellet wagglers are designed to sink as little as possible when they hit the water, so they’re ready for those instant bites. A normal waggler will sink further, meaning the bait isn’t presented as well. Doesn’t mean you can’t use a normal waggler though

Total

Site Supporter
Until your financially in a better place the tip rod you have can double up as a waggler/pellet waggler jobbie.....It's not ideal, but most of at a guess would have started off with one rod that was pressed to do all types of fishing.....I certainly was/did....;).....I wish you well....(y)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think the big plus for me on pellet waggler rods, which I use for commercials, is the extra power that they have to enable you to get a lump under control quickly. Generally many pellet waggler rods will have a stiffer action, and can work out less expensive than a standard rod. Far less time spent playing a fish with with p/w rods (in theory). Also with p/w rods you can use stronger line. 6lb b/s is about the max you will need which will be a little heavy for standard float rods which are often longer, and can carry more and smaller rings

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Whenever I have used a pellet waggler, the fish hook themselves so I have assumed the weight of one (apart from casting distances) acts as a bolt rig.

davej1981

Until your financially in a better place the tip rod you have can double up as a waggler/pellet waggler jobbie.....It's not ideal, but most of at a guess would have started off with one rod that was pressed to do all types of fishing.....I certainly was/did....;).....I wish you well....(y)
Yes thats what i was using my tip rod. Since my pole went bang thts the omly rod i have now, and i used literally the only waggler I had!

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
I use loaded drenann waggler ,I stop the line with my finger and the float lays flat on the water surface before it cocks ,so it doesn't dive deep ,rightly or wrongly that's the way I do pellet waggler fishing .

OldTaff

Site Supporter
The bites I’ve been getting savage - using a Drennan Red Range 11’ pellet wag rod, 6lb pulse and a Cadence CS4 (3000 size).

Compared to the 10’ DAM waggler rod (my sons) that I was using the Drennan is a world better at controlling fish of all sizes leading to far fewer heart stopping moments.

rob6709

Site Supporter
I use normal drennan loaded wagglers 90% of the time. I don't like the big pellet waggler style sloats, I find I get more bites with lighter floats. I only use the big boy's If I have to cast a long way which isn't very often.

Your feeding and how the float hits the water will make more of a difference than the float you're using.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
There is a video on you tube by Rob wootton
He's fishing lake 3 at makins well worth a watch ,it's all about his way with the pellet waggler on smallish lakes .

Alantherose

Site Supporter
As nobody has mentioned them yet, I’ll put in my recommendation of the Middy pellet stubbee floats. They’re 1, 2 or 3 SSG and have weight included (unlike their rather expensive Guru counterparts).