Pellet waggler

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Hi all,
when fishing the pellet waggler for biggish carp, do you fish with the tip straight out or slightly to one side. Tried it last year sometimes didn't get a chance to lift the rod up properly, so as the line was coming straight out from the tip of the rod.
If I'd of had the line clipped up they proberly would of snapped me. Would you use it like the tip or just a slight angle.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If the peg allows it I always fish with the rod at an angle so the tip can cushion the vicious takes but I never use the line clip when fishing the pellet waggler as a fish can take as soon as the bait hits the water, no chance of giving any line in that situation.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi all,
when fishing the pellet waggler for biggish carp, do you fish with the tip straight out or slightly to one side. Tried it last year sometimes didn't get a chance to lift the rod up properly, so as the line was coming straight out from the tip of the rod.
If I'd of had the line clipped up they proberly would of snapped me. Would you use it like the tip or just a slight angle.
I position my pellet waggler rod slightly to my left but, I use a baby bait runner as well. I don't clip up on a waggler myself. I suspect some anglers may. Hope this helps. 👍

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I position my pellet waggler rod slightly to my left but, I use a baby bait runner as well. I don't clip up on a waggler myself. I suspect some anglers may. Hope this helps. 👍
To what advantage is a small bait runner.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I keep mine straight and just set the clutch soft enough that the fish will hook themselves but can take line if they take off on a run.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
I never put the rod on a rest when fishing the pellet waggler, rest it across my knee while feeding, with it facing slightly left. Casting and feeding constantly is hard work, the rod barely stops moving.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
You not used a baby bait runner pal ? It gives you time to pick the rod up before being broke off. I also use it to roll a feeder down a river. They work brilliant for that 👍
I do actually have a small bait runner, but not thought of useing it. Thanks

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I do actually have a small bait runner, but not thought of useing it. Thanks
They work really well. I fish a commercial where the carp break you off for fun. Not terribly big fish just crazy. I'm sure they get some speed up before taking your bait. There's more lost fishing gear in that lake than in Bobco. I got the idea off a guy who was fishing the ' chomper ' method. The carp were having a proper go just after spawning and without a bait runner hed have lost more than hed had landed. It just gives you a couple of seconds before you need to lift. But, don't forget to flick the bait runner on like this numpty does occasionally. Doh ! 😣😆

sampower

I've had this myself @johng19 when I first started fishing this way. I find if fishing less than 2ft then always have my rod to the side to put that extra line between rod tip and rig with the takes being so fast. Never clip up and always have drag set nice and forgiving.

If fishing deeper though (3ft or more) I take same approach as conventional waggler fishing - keep tip in front of me and low and strike really positive with the rod right behind my shoulder - reason being that a short length would mean the hook will set under resistance from the float, but a longer length will allow the fish to move away with less or no resistance for a couple of foot (potentially) so a positive strike will better ensure the fish is hooked and doesn't split when it feels the hook/line etc.

Obv this wont be the case in every instance, but that's my train of thought and I've really cut down on missed bites doing it this way

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Whats the chomper method?
Sorry rudd. I missed your post. What we refer to as the chomper method is basically a feeder attached to a very short dumpy float. There's a couple of manufacturers of these floats now but, we used to make our own a few years ago with a ping pong ball and the cage off a cage feeder glued to the bottom. No weight was needed as the crumb aided with casting. We only fished 20 - 25m out taking carp about a foot deep. Cheers rudd. 👍

rudd

Site Supporter
Sorry rudd. I missed your post. What we refer to as the chomper method is basically a feeder attached to a very short dumpy float. There's a couple of manufacturers of these floats now but, we used to make our own a few years ago with a ping pong ball and the cage off a cage feeder glued to the bottom. No weight was needed as the crumb aided with casting. We only fished 20 - 25m out taking carp about a foot deep. Cheers rudd. 👍
Ah, Gudgeon bashing!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ah, Gudgeon bashing!
If your forum name is Ukzero1 then yes. He can catch gonks where there arent any. The owner of woodhouse grange didnt even know he had gudgeon in his pond. That was until Peter turned up. 😆😆😆