Pellet Waggler

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott187

Ive just started fishing the pellet waggler method this year for the first time......Im new to this method and Ive had great success now that the temperatures have started to gradually increase.......

Theres quite a few posts on this forum about the pellet waggler but I thought Id start a new thread detailing my rigs, tactics and baits etc.....as I really love this method.....if anyones interested

Rig - See attached diagram

2010610205636_untitled.bmp

Rod 11 ft Shakespeare micro waggler
Reel Daiwa Whisker
Line 7-8 lb mainline (Daiwa sensor) / 6-7 lb hooklength (Daiwa silkshock antares)
Small Swivel this prevents twist when constantly casting and retrieving (preston mini match swivel)
Waggler adapter sensas do a good one and also preston allows you to quickly change floats without breaking down rig and also locks the float to the desired depth without any need for locking shot if youre using a loaded waggler can easily be adjusted if you wish to change depth
Float Preston loaded dumpy waggler in 8g or 6g dependent upon conditions (wind etc.)
Hook Preston PR36 hair rigged with band just below bend of hook (Gardner bands)

Bait

Ideally you need to use slow sinking carp feed pellets low in oil and not the halibut ones
I usually take a bag of 6mm and 8mm dynamite baits carp feed pellets (XL Range)
I feed the 6mm constantly with 8mm as hook bait but now and then Ill feed a few 8mm pellets
Youll tend to go through quite a lot of pellets in the session if the fishing is good so it can be quite expensive.
I know that a few people tend to buy Skrettings pellets by mail order in bulk to cut down on costs.

Tactics

I tend to pick a corridor of water straight out in front of my peg and constantly work and feed it.
Starting off at fishing at about 2 feet depth Ill cast to the furthest part of the corridor and feed that area with a catapult.......let the hookbait sink and if no bites after 20 seconds or so Ill feed a few pellets again.....if still no bites ill flick the float toward me so it jumps out the water and creates a splash and feed with the catapult again....remembering to take up the slack line.
If still no bites Ill flick the float again and feed with catapult and if no bites again reel in and cast out again to furthest part of corridor and repeat procedure....remembering to feed constantly.

If you are still getting no bites then you will need to experiment with depth.
The beauty of the waggler attachment is that it allows you to change the depth very quickly.

It is always assumed that this method is only useful when the carp are feeding at the top but I have had much success when fishing 6-8 feet depth on certain waters.

Dont rule out this method if you simply cant see fish feeding right on the top!!!!

Key Tips

This is an active method which requires constant feeding, casting and reeling in to be effective so dont expect a chill out listening to the birds sing whilst leisurely waiting for a bite.

Dont let go of the rod bites can be vicious and often occur as soon as the bait hits the water
Bites can be ferocious and you risk losing your rod.

Keep constantly feeding small amounts every 20 second or so (3-5 pellets) but dont overfeed.

Persevere experiment with depths

Make up plenty of hooklengths at home so you can quickly attach a new one and not risk losing the fish from the area you have been feeding whilst wasting time putting on a new hooklength

keith74

THFC
nice one mate, well done. not fished it that much myself but that seems a very good, easy to understand description[:T]

Sparhawk

And I had a great session on Makins No. 5 fishing precisely this method last weekend. Thanks for the info Scott!

Shez

What size fish are you after with that mainline? I tend to use 3 or 4lb Diawa Sensor, 6lb if the fish average 10lb+.
I use 0.18mm G-Line hooklength (approx 8lb) and Preston PR36 hooks

Tend to find that the thicker the mainline the shorter the cast and is affected more by any cross-wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.