Pellet waggler/waggler rod for commercials

abbo27

I am looking for recommendations for a new waggler rod for fishing commercials for mainly match sized carp but also silvers. I am never quite sure the difference between a waggler/pellet waggler rod, I assume the latter copes with heavier floats and repeated casting? I occasionally fish the pellet waggler but have had limited success where I usually fish. My budget is £40 tops. Thanks

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You'll struggle to get a decent new one for £40 I can only think of the maver reality which is no more than useable. If you could stretch to around £60 you could get the Preston Tyson or daiwa ninja which are genuinely pretty decent rods for the money. There's no need to get a pellet waggler version around that price point as standard waggler rods in that price range tend to be fairly powerful anyway so will do the job fine whilst obviously being better proper waggler rods as well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Think the 10ft version is over £60 and isn't very tippy but more of a soft F1 rod. The £50 ish one is only 9ft and a bit through actioned for a float rod. For the same sort of money you could get an 11ft ninja which if it's anything like my 10ft version is closer to a traditional float rod action just a bit more powerful.

Dusty

I’ve got this one ? loads of power bit very forgiving.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
i bought a drennan red range carp waggler 11ft for around 50 used it for tench and small carp in devon last year liked the rod

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you are thinking about a Drennan red range I would take a look at the leeda concept GT range strong rumour has it they use the same blank as the Drennan for about half the price, ok it is not deep red in colour and it doesn't have Drennan on the butt section

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Stillwater Shuriken and Matchstix are very good rods for the money, actually made / designed by Daiwa. usually available arund the £16-£24 mark.

Dusty

Stillwater Shuriken and Matchstix are very good rods for the money, actually made / designed by Daiwa. usually available arund the £16-£24 mark.

For that sort of money I wouldn’t care if they were no good to be fair.

rob_v

Have a look at the shimano forcemaster bx
This rod is ideal for commercials
Nice rod for little money

abbo27

Thanks for the advice. The Matchstix i ms a very attractive price and looks worth a punt. The Leeda one too. Some of the others a bit pricy but probably worth waiting a few weeks and saving up some extra pennies. Has anyone ever used or know anything about Sonik rods? I must admit I have never heard of them but saw this on ebay for £40.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve never used sonik coarse gear but I’ve used the sea stuff and it’s decent for the price

JRW

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice. The Matchstix i ms a very attractive price and looks worth a punt. The Leeda one too. Some of the others a bit pricy but probably worth waiting a few weeks and saving up some extra pennies. Has anyone ever used or know anything about Sonik rods? I must admit I have never heard of them but saw this on ebay for £40.
These are excellent rods. Very light and deceptively strong. I like them better than the Daiwa Ninja and the Shimano Forcemaster which I still have but rarely use now.

Grimberian

I am in a similar position, I have been looking at the Tyson Pellet Waggler, I went into a tackle shop in Weston before lockdown and had a play, very nice rod, seems well made.
That is what the chap there recommended for me as someone who mainly just fishes commercials, he recommended the 11' version as there isn't generally too much need to cast a million miles and it will pick up the line just fine.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Grimberian My dad has the 13ft normal waggler version of the Tyson and tbh it’s plenty powerful enough to fish pellet wagglers for single figure and maybe the odd double figure carp on most venues whilst still being just about light enough for silvers. It would be a much better all round rod than the pellet waggler version.

Grimberian

@Grimberian My dad has the 13ft normal waggler version of the Tyson and tbh it’s plenty powerful enough to fish pellet wagglers for single figure and maybe the odd double figure carp on most venues whilst still being just about light enough for silvers. It would be a much better all round rod than the pellet waggler version.

Ah brilliant, good to know, thanks. Maybe they just didn't have that one in stock and wanted to sell me something :LOL:
Was it yourself that commented on how good the Drennan S7 Float reel was a while back? Would that pair well do you think, as I have my eye on that too.
(Sorry to hijack thread...)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It's a very good reel for 3 and 4 pound lines so if that's the sort of stuff you'll using then yes it would be ideal and I'd definitely recommend it. However whilst the shallow spools are great for light lines if you wanted spool up one with something heavier there are probably better options. One of my other reels is 2500 shimano Sahara which has 3lb on one spool and is soon to have 5lb on the other. Essentially the drennan is my river and fairly natural Stillwater float reel and the Shimano my commercial float reel.