Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
http://www.fishing-world.co.uk/matchtips/fishing-the-dumpy-waggler.html

A good and imformative article Dave [:T]

dave brittain 1

Nathan.

It's a proper mixed bag at the moment with lots of weights on the pole, meat 5-7m and pellet long. The margins are also producing in the corners however if you have a back bank peg the waggler and straight lead can do a lot of damage.

The straight lead and waggler are working but the fish do shy away from the PW and you are sometimes better off fishing a straight crystal or insert waggler at depth.

I won the cost cutter last week and caught shallow on the pole then, down the side and then meat at 7m . It's a case of keeping the fish coming.

Mugging can also do a lot of damage.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
'The times, they are a changing' , as predicted by Robert Allen Zimmerman. Viaduct Wednesday matches might attract 8 -15 anglers, but the costcutter (Thursday) often sees over 30 anglers, you'll win more money on the Wednesday, but its a reflection of popularity.

Last edited:

dave brittain 1

Nathan as Chris has highlighted they are very popular and to be honest I'd rather win a 30-40 peg cost cutter than a 10-15 peg knock up. Unfortunately times are changing and the days of the 60 peg opens seem to becoming more rare unless you fish a series or league match.

peteblade

4lb Sensor for me with Carbonactive rods. I have two of the original rods and two 4-10 gramme ones that aren't as good. I've tried Tournament ST line but its far two thick and you can't sink it if you need to. To me the art of all waggler fishing is to get the presentation right. Yesterday I had a pretty bad cross wind. I snared a few early mug fish on a 6 gramme pellet wagg then changed to a 8 as it gave me a little bit longer better presentation. I'm not talking about fish that hook themselves here. I'm talking about having to strike at fish. The wind then got a bit worse so I put up a 4AA straight wagg cast long then brought back into the feed area and continued to catch. I won the match with 86lb. The blokes who continually cast a big thick topped pellet wagg on 6lb line and watched it get pulled through with the wind wondered why they weren't catching. I always set up 4 wagg rods in matches, two pellet wagg and two normal wags and I bet I've caught more on the straight wags in the last two years than I have the pellet wagg!

iammrb

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave Brittain

iammrb

The link I attached earlier with the PW article written in 2006 probably about 4 years before the PW caught on in other areas of the country. It is still regarded by many as one of the most informative articles written. I've been fishing the method longer than most and have helped some very good anglers get to grips with the method.

I also used to make PW floats and Nathan, Neil McKinnon and many other well known anglers used to use them until I stopped making them in 2010.

Many of the floats on todays market are gimmicks or limited in their versatility.

Draw a peg with an island where you have to be within 6 ins of the bank and you'll soon realise how limited the floats are. Also if you draw beside a good PW angler who works the bait you find out how limited the floats are.

On some venues such as Viaduct the fish have wised up and the PW has blown. The fish know exactly what the splash is and avoid it like the plague.
Good read Dave.

Do you still advise 30 seconds between feeds ?

dave brittain 1

You have to vary both the frequency and quantity of feed to get the best from your peg, trying to work out how the fish want it. As I stated in the article you will never have the same amount of fish in your peg throughout the match so you have to feed accordingly trying to keep the fish in the upper layers while making sure you are at the right depth

wuffie

I have trouble keeping the SSG shot on the line even though I use float rubber over the line and bite them shut, could it be one make of shot is better than an other?

simonelsey

only1 net empty
wait for nick gilbert to write up on it , Think he knows whats he`s doing on this method .

NathanWatson

Originally posted by wuffie

I have trouble keeping the SSG shot on the line even though I use float rubber over the line and bite them shut, could it be one make of shot is better than an other?
Anchor are the best but when I've put them over silicone, they do come off. I normally just put them over a loop, and always use forceps to squezze them on hard!

wuffie

How do you mean a loop? A loop in the main line or a separate loop?

NathanWatson

Yes, tie a loop in end of mainline for pellet wags, i attach hooklength with a snap swivel. For longer unloaded wagglers i sometimes have the float and shot on a paternoster of strong line and attach that to a snap swivel, locked with rubber stops.

wuffie

Cheers, I think the latter would be my choice so that I can alter the depth easier than changing hooklengths

NathanWatson

Don't work well with short floats mate, spin on cast. Easy to have a few different length hooklengths ready to clip on. If fishing deeper, often use a longer loaded float anyway.

Fred Davis

On some deeper fisheries where the fish have wised up to the pellet wag you can't buy a bite fishing it normally, however a switch to the slow sinking pellet wag can be a lethal method. For this I use the preston loaded wags as you can soldering wire around the float to get it critically balanced and then any really fine adjustment can be done on the bank.

as for me I use two browning force 11ft rods and a garbolino 10ft rod for really shallow work mainline grauvell gold 0.16 & 0.18 pellet wags I have an assortment but prefer unloaded the 4aaa drake being a great float to really work at the method.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Followed a lot of the advice on this thread and had a great day today.
Fished almost 11 hours and had:-
1.....Bream...2.5 lbs
1.....Ide about 1.5 lbs
42....Carp from 4 lbs to 12.2 lbs
Most of the Carp were over 5 lbs
Must have had 200 lb.....a good pleasure session.
Thanks to all. [:T]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Not telling you Nathan, you'd empty the place.[:D]

Clearwater Lakes at Ranskill....5 a day.[:D]