Pellet Waggler Tutorial

psylee

Originally posted by NathanWatson

Originally posted by psylee

doesn't make sense that the stronger line will go before the lighter line thoughs a general rule I would always go lighter on the bottoms so if I do get snapped with say the line hitting the clip and the fish still going then the botton would go first.

It makes sense when you realise the maxima is thicker and stronger than stated and the middy and any other pre-stretched hooklength line is not normally as strong as stated and the hooklength, been so much shorter has a lot less stretch! I may use 5lb reel line, 12lb hooklength on the method, as do many others!

right now that makes sense wasn't saying your wrong Nathan was just saying that the strength of the line is normally the other way round ie:stronger main line and weaker bottoms.but as you say if its more forgiving then it makes sense to have a finer hooklength.

lee

pudsli

Hi.
Not the best pellet wag angler, but i use 6lb sensor main line and a 0.17 reflo hooklink with a qm1 or cs1 in 16s and 18s, with a 8mm pellet on a lasso.

shaky mach 3 11ft rod, feed 3 pellets cast, fire another 3 twitch float, if no fish, repeat process again.
I have been known to use 4lb sensor, when i forgot to change the spool, still had fish to 8lb on it.

All the best steve.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I rarely fish the PW, partly due to laziness, familiarity/experience, better (for me) alternatives and venues. However I expect that at least one of this weekend's venues will require this apporoach for at least part of the day. So I need some guidance.

I have at my disposal some unloaded straight PWs. I also have some weighted adapters.

Should I use the adapters or should I shot the line?

If I shot the line should I put shot above and below tight to the float or spread and allow the float to run on a length of line between?

Should I strike at bites or just wait for the tip to go like a Method feeder?

Fish possibly (though I hope not) to 20lb I am told (Stockton Res.) so would an 8lb mainline and 0.17/0.21 hooklength, 18 Fox match carp 2 and a hair rigged 8mm pellet be OK?

NathanWatson

I don't like the adapters, don't cast as well, 8lb line is way too thick on the reel for casting mate, would need too heavy a float.

chrishorobin

Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

I rarely fish the PW, partly due to laziness, familiarity/experience, better (for me) alternatives and venues. However I expect that at least one of this weekend's venues will require this apporoach for at least part of the day. So I need some guidance.

I have at my disposal some unloaded straight PWs. I also have some weighted adapters.

Should I use the adapters or should I shot the line?

If I shot the line should I put shot above and below tight to the float or spread and allow the float to run on a length of line between?

Should I strike at bites or just wait for the tip to go like a Method feeder?

Fish possibly (though I hope not) to 20lb I am told (Stockton Res.) so would an 8lb mainline and 0.17/0.21 hooklength, 18 Fox match carp 2 and a hair rigged 8mm pellet be OK?

Hi Neil,
The weighted adapters will be fine, I always strike at any dip of the float, I would use 6lb mainline and the 0.17 hook length, the hook is perfect for the job and I very rarely use anything smaller than an 8mm pellet, just remember to keep feeding regularly [:T]

Why wouldn't you want to catch a 20lb er ?? With that set up you will easily land fish of that size all day

grey

Site Supporter
I do a fair bit with a pellet waggler work for all sizes of fish.

A light set up would be 4lb mainline, heavy would be 8lb. Hooklength is usually Stroft at about +20% of the mainline; I will use a straightforward mono if fishing particularly shallow. I avoid hooklengths with little stretch as the strength has to be stepped up considerably (in comparison to mainline) to keep rig balance.

14-16 hook for a heavy set up, 18-20 for light.

Shot around partially loaded waggler (Drake or homemade) and feather cast slightly beyond feed.

Keep the feed going in: just before the cast, 10 second after.

Will fish 6mm in 4mm pellets or 8mm in 6mm pellets, or sometimes same size bait/feed. Long(ish) haired band. Pinch of 2mm constantly fired in when rigging up will often 'switch' the fish into feeing up in the water.

Keep the bait moving. Always easier (and often more productive) if there's a ripple on the water.

Always fish standing up with bait apron. Always with catapult left hand, always rod in right ready to strike.

Strike at any indication - if bites too quick add couple of inches to depth. Keep experimenting with depth. Shallower the rig the harder the take (so be prepared if fishing below 18 inches).

Normal match rod; single handled reel - anything that will hold the appropriate line.

shanie boy

Great topic and a great way of fishing and catching fish. Its awesome on its day and along with fishing shallow on the pole by far my favourite way of fishing.

One thing i would like to point out tho about using light reel lines is that the likes of hainsey,nath,dave stocko,dave brittain and many more that are regarded as being top drawer on this method are using light reel lines as part of a very well balanced set up, the rods they are using are very forgiving and they have a lot of experience.For those not that familiar with pellet wag fishing or dont have soft actioned rods need to err on the side of caution else you will be snapped for fun and you will have fish towing pellet wagglers around the lake all day! If you can hit the distance required with a slightly stronger line its best to do so while you gain that experience. When fishing open water i personally wouldnt clip up either as when they are having it they really do ave it!!

Incidentally i have just won the rover at Whiteacres with 128lb on the wag using 5lb Daiwa Tournament st as main line,i could get the distance and presentation i needed using a 3ssg styro so casts well and is strong!.Its stated to be a sinking line but i havent found that to be the case, so its coming off my feeder reels but will leave it on wag reels i think.

This post is not in any way a dig at the lads that know what they are doing and have gained a good rep fishing this way,the point is you know what your doing.Its more of a heads up for the guys that maybe just starting out on it so they dont get caught with their pants down and a hefty bill for wagglers etc lol. cheers shane

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
Dave I never had much luck with the pellet waggler until I tried these....

http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/fox-pellet-wagglers-with-air-brake-free-uk-delivery.html

Very good for practising with, don't have to be to accurate with the casting, but it helps [;)]

I use a drennan puddle chucker 4lb maxima to a 4lb maxima hook length(loop to loop) pr16 with a hair rigged band, always a 8mm pellet where I fish it.

I also use float stops (two above one below) to attatch the waggler, just started using Midge and Terrys foam wagglers, very good. [:)]

Col

0lly

Originally posted by psylee

doesn't make sense that the stronger line will go before the lighter line thoughs a general rule I would always go lighter on the bottoms so if I do get snapped with say the line hitting the clip and the fish still going then the botton would go first.

The softness of the rod and huge stretch maxima has will cushion most things I imagine.

Andy Hill

Here are some of the carp I caught today at the Fachwen Pool where I live.

Using 8mm pellets , 6 lb daiwa sensor line , Daiwa TDR Rig Line .18 (6 lb) hook length and 14 eyed PR38 hook.

Luckly there was a carp angler near by to weigh the biggest carp and weighing in at 27lb 9oz. Thats a PB best. The carp angler couldnt believe that you could land big fish on 6 lb line lol.

Also was taking bream from 4 to 5lb as well, good day had :)
27lb 9oz above
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Last edited:

masterofnone

Fished it today at candy corner. 11ft powerlite rod, 3000 procaster with 6lb sensor, tn floats 5g waggler, 12 inch silk shock 0.16 to a b911x with a banded hair and 8mm pellet.
Did ok for a while, feed, cast, twitch, feed, reel in, but the fish were at all different depths to changed to slow sinking feeder and it was a fish a chuck. Sometimes instant bites but most were around 2-3ft deep.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's a method I enjoy, I think it reminds of chub fishing with wag/mag many years ago. i use two set ups, for smaller fish, I use 12' Titan 2000's with TDR reels, loaded with 4lb sensor. The hooklength will be between 0.14 - 0.18 with a 20, 18 or 16 PR36. For lumps, I use Maver Reactorlite II 13' with either TDR reels or Preston Inception (nice big spools for casting), again 4lb sensor on the TDR's and 6lb Sensor on the Prestons. If it's windy I won't use the 6lb unless I have to fish near snags. This would see 0.16-0.20 hooklenghths again with PR36 hooks, 16 or even 14 if the fish aren't shy.

I set up a pair of rods and set them at different depths, I usually prefer unloaded floats for the shallower set up and either the Drennan or Middy clear wagglers (the Middy's cast really well) for the deeper set up. I'd probably start with the standard approach of feed and cast into it, in open water I like to spread the bait a little bit, to allow drawing the float from the back of the feed area to the front. After it has settled and sat for a few seconds.

A couple of tricks that can work when the fish are spooky:

Fish really shallow (4"), leave the float in place for much longer than usual and feed over it.

If the fish are shying away from the shallow set up, fish the deeper rod amd ensure you stop the flight of the float so the pellet lands away from it, watch for the swirl, the fish will sometimes take a pellet on the deep rig right off the surface, because it is far enough away from the float not to spook them.

And if they still back off the pellet with the ilne and hook, but are feeding, try fishing about 4' deep, grease the line from the float to about 4" from the hook and again, cast and stop the float so the line lays out beyond the float, the greased line will give the pellet a really slow sink rate, probably slower than the feed pellets, it can snare some wary fish. Not a method for when they are going mad, but when you need to trick a wary fish or two on a hard day.

Last edited:

dave brittain 1

If you look in my float box the only PW's are simple styro, balsa and some clear insert puddle chuckers. What you will not find is some of the monstrosity's with discs or domes to stop the float diving on impact.

The reason for this is that with a normal shotted float I can vary how it hits the water and I can also work the float. With a disc on non dive device you cannot work the float in the same manner due to the resistance and drag created.

The best PW anglers keep it simple and concentrate on feeding, depth and work rate

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave Brittain

If you look in my float box the only PW's are simple styro, balsa and some clear insert puddle chuckers. What you will not find is some of the monstrosity's with discs or domes to stop the float diving on impact.

The reason for this is that with a normal shotted float I can vary how it hits the water and I can also work the float. With a disc on non dive device you cannot work the float in the same manner due to the resistance and drag created.

The best PW anglers keep it simple and concentrate on feeding, depth and work rate

Sounds similar to my float box, I have never tried one of the floats with discs or other gimmicks.

iammrb

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave Brittain

You think having the float sitting ready for indications earlier is a gimmick?

Interesting.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing I would have thought with the anti dive discs is that they'd create resistance when striking - in effect you'd be striking against the float and not into the fish, or have I got this wrong?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Not that I know but the resistance would surely make the float almost a self hooking rig, hence no need to "strike", just tighten to the fish.

fordy1

I just use loaded floats, doctored to make them sit just right, using preston steel pellet wag adaptors.middy 8 and 10 gram dome top.6lb reel line. .20 hooklength.16 guru mwg or drennan carp feeder .10ft daiwa TD rods. 6mm pellet.
Most of my pellet wag fishing is at manor farm for f1s n odd carp.it can be very demanding on the gear and at this time of year I never strike just wait for them to hook emselves which is normally within 3-4 seconds of the splash down.

Last edited:

iammrb

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave

One thing I would have thought with the anti dive discs is that they'd create resistance when striking - in effect you'd be striking against the float and not into the fish, or have I got this wrong?

They provide resistance between float and fish aiding self hooking.

If you have the waggler free running between float stops when you strike you are connecting directly with the fish. Different if you use waggler adapters.

dave brittain 1

iammrb

The link I attached earlier with the PW article written in 2006 probably about 4 years before the PW caught on in other areas of the country. It is still regarded by many as one of the most informative articles written. I've been fishing the method longer than most and have helped some very good anglers get to grips with the method.

I also used to make PW floats and Nathan, Neil McKinnon and many other well known anglers used to use them until I stopped making them in 2010.

Many of the floats on todays market are gimmicks or limited in their versatility.

Draw a peg with an island where you have to be within 6 ins of the bank and you'll soon realise how limited the floats are. Also if you draw beside a good PW angler who works the bait you find out how limited the floats are.

On some venues such as Viaduct the fish have wised up and the PW has blown. The fish know exactly what the splash is and avoid it like the plague.

Last edited by a moderator: